Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Blanco55

Gambit

This is the version of Gambit from which I based my costume from:

And this is my costume:

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/430125/

For this summer, I want to redo my boots/shin cover. I'm planning on making it from scratch from crafting foam rather than using soccer shins.

I might also try dying one of my trench coats brown. I started out with the tan one but then i latter got the grey one because it had those flaps... but the colour is off.

What has been bothering me the most from my costume is my headpiece; it sags underneath. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it because if I make it tighter I can't fit my head in to put in on.
Blanco55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Blanco55

bump.
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Blanco55

I've been also thinking of making shoulder pads for Gambit. It's not a common aspect of his costume but it looks cool.

Here's a picture.
http://eu.ebid.net/for-sale/uncanny-...711524.htm#pic
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

I think you've got a pretty good basis for it. But if you're trying to make it look like the two comic pictures you posted, the jacket isn't quite right. Your scarf could also stand to be a fair bit larger, and you have different gloves. That is, if you're trying to make the costume look like the one in the pictures...
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Blanco55

The gloves in that first picture are a bit of an anomaly. Most times, he wears the partly findgerless gloves, as evident in the second picture.

For the scarf, I can probably figure out a way to fold it different so that it appears more prominent.
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
eebee

Looks pretty great!

A handy method my boyfriend used to keep his Gambit headpiece attached was fashion tape. It's supposed to hold up dress straps and the like, and is sold in lots of convenience stores and makeup-type stores. It held pretty well. Only had to be changed once during the day, and the small strips were very easy to keep in a jacket pocket as backup.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Reina Roja (with Gabriel Santiago)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Identity-Crisis

You were at Hal-Con weren't you?

It's a really good start.
Look like you've got everything there, now it's just detail work.

One thing that really stands out to me is that his straps and pouches are red while yours are black.
Identity-Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Blanco55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity-Crisis View Post
You were at Hal-Con weren't you?

It's a really good start.
Look like you've got everything there, now it's just detail work.

One thing that really stands out to me is that his straps and pouches are red while yours are black.
Yes, yes I was!

Yeah, I couldn't find a red strap and the pouches are just pouches that I had lying around the house. Actually, the strap came from a camera bag, haha.

I'll keep a lookout for red straps and pouches if I come across any. But I might also decide to stick with the black as my personal spin on the costume since my spandex shirt has red stripes that run along the shirt and combined with the red strap it might be too much.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Identity-Crisis

It's always a surprise to find local cosplayers on here.

Yeah, it's up to you.
If you really wanted the red you could try making them or painting the ones you already have?
Identity-Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Ink
We're all mad here!

When I look at the pictures of Gambit that you posted, two things stand out to me when it comes to first impression. His hair and, in a sense, his eyebrows.

Your hair a lot shorter than his in the pictures, and your eyebrows are lighter in colour and not as dramatically shaped. The latter could be hard to do something about, of course, unless you use makeup to enhance them (which I think might look awesome, and also give you that badarse look Gambit has).

Actually, the kind of fringe you have in your forum avatar picture looks more like Gambit's. But if that is not an alternative I'd suggest getting a wig. Nothing can ruin a costume so much as the wrong hair, since even if it's not very noticeable, something will look odd and out of place. At least it would to me, but I admit that maybe I'm just a sucker for details like that.
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Blanco55

The hair thing, I can do.

The con I'm planing to attend is only in June so I have plenty of time to grow out my hair. And I have had longer hair before, so it's not such a big deal. I had had a haircut not too long before those other pictures were taken, that's why it's so short.

Though I probably won't grow it out as long as it is in that particular picture. I mean Gambit's hair varies on the artist, anyway.

I'd probably grow it out at around this length (or a bit longer):

Unread 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Blanco55

Or maybe this long:

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
ze0ro

The shin armor and knee pads look great and are a good substitute for his impossible armor boots. However, I would recommend using a boot instead of shoes...the laces draw my eye away from the rest of the costume.

I'd recommend the Funtasma Captain-100 boot in silver, though it's been discontinued (I've been trying to find a pair too, but I'm in Canada which makes it much more difficult for me with shipping costs being elevated). Spray your padding to match and I think you'd have really good looking boots!
ze0ro is offline   Reply With Quote