Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
sakura_petals

Musical! Eternal Sailor Moon

So it's my first time posting in here but I'd really like some ideas on how I'm giong so far with this cosplay.

Progress so far:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...psae3816c3.jpg

Reference pic:
http://www.seramyuantics.net/images/moon-marina37.jpg

The skirts are still not completey finished and fastened to the bodice so the the hip rolls still haven't got the dip or v shape in them yet. Boot covers are still WIP so no pics of them yet, same goes for the 'feather'/odango cover headband. The wings I haven't even started on so they're not there.

I think that's all. Hope to hear from you.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

The only 2 things I can tell are the skirt's too long, but that's also preference so if that's what you were going for, then never mind lol and the waist roll thingy..Idk what it's called..But a lot of people do this..It should be more like a V rather then straight around the body, but you already know that so I don't think there really IS a problem then... I love the materials you used and I love the way you did the wing-style bow thing (you know what I'm talking about lol). Over all, REALLY good
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
sakura_petals

Thanks about the front bow - it took a while to get it right, plus finding the right fabric was really hard!! As for the long skirts - yeah they're long but my body isn't really suited to short skirts however much I wish it was!
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Over all very good, It looks like it could be used on stage in the musicals
I think what makes the skirts look too long is that the top gold layer should be a bit longer
Youmu Akihito - Kyoukai no Kanata
Moves like Jaeger
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
sakura_petals

Do you think the skirts look too long because they're out of proportion from each other? I'll try and get another photo of the skirts as I've now hemed the 2nd skirt, hopefully that will look better. Thanks for the comments! They mean a lot to me as this is something I've been working on for ages to get just right!!
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
nicomi

Lovely job! I agree the skirt proportions are off a tiny bit and I totallllly understand making it longer so you are more comfortable but my suggestion would be to make the gold a bit longer.
But really wonderful construction especially since that fabric is awful to work with (if its the fabric I think it is)
I can't wait to see the finished product!
Nicomi
nicomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
sakura_petals

Thanks, the fabric for the skirts is tissue lame - horrible fabric to work with! I think the skirts are now in proportion with each other, I'll try to get a photo of the completed skirts while wearing them in the next few days when I can get help with it all.
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

This is probably the best costume I have seen of this. Looks really great, can't wait to see the final product. I love how it really gives that shine and sparkle.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
sakura_petals

Thanks so much!! I'm hoping to get an updated photo tomorrow - I haven't had time lately as I've been working shift work for the last few weeks, which leaves little room for sewing cosplays!
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
sakura_petals

Another update:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...ps872abbbd.jpg

What do you guys think?
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

The updated skirt is looking super great! Now if you don't mind me asking, are you being accurate to the real life design or the drawn design?
Currently, I feel that your skirt perfectly reflects the drawn design, as the three layer tier of skirts is spot on with the distance between them and in the gathers. I do feel that the gathers in your skirt seem to stiff, the amount is fine, but maybe thats just how lame drapes?

Back to the tiers of the skirt, if you want to be accurate to the real costume, I still think your gold need to be longer. The pink and blue should only show 1/3 of the the entire golds length. I attached a picture demostrating what I mean.

Again, your skirt and all of your work is amazing!! You have great construction skills. I was just pointing out what I personally think could be altered.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
sakura_petals

I was aiming for the real costume not the drawn version, however I ran out of gold fabric and as I had to import the stuff from overseas this is the result. As for the gathers, it is sort of how the fabric drapes but I haven't done anything with them. They've just been sewn in and the horsehair braid is quite stiff because of the 1cm width..

But considering this is my 2nd complicated cosplay I think I'm doing ok. I've only been doing this for 3 years and before that didn't really sew. Plus with natural disasters wreaking havoc over the last 2 years (huge earthquakes that destroyed/majorly damaged 70-80% of the city) this cosplay has been a mission to complete with any accuracy.

I am loving the feedback though! I like to hear what others think and what parts could use a little tweaking, if I have time in the future I might try and adjust the gold skirt, if I can remember where I got the fabric from...