Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

How to explain the work involved in cosplaying and convention costs to a friend?

I'm having trouble explaining the work it takes to make/wear a cosplay and conventions to my friend. She know about it and have cosplayed before but still don't understand. My friend asks why Im spending time buying fabric,sewing,asking for commission quotes,and remaking regular clothing when the cosplay is on China costume sites. I bought her this Pre-made Bleach cosplay and it fitted very bad despite being labeled the right size. I've tried to tell her that person who made the costume got at least $10 hopefully and it's better to make em or get them made here instead but she don't believe me. She also thinks $35 a badge is too expensive for a three day event. If a badge does cost that much I have to buy them or we don't go to the con. She works and I'm disabled so only way I make money is selling stuff on eBay or cleaning ppls workspaces for cheap. This is why I can't afford most things I ask for in commissions and more. Because of she not wanting to help unless i agree to pre-made costumes and $25 a badge conventions I have to buy the two badges for a con,Sew not only my three cosplays but also the three she wants,save money for bus tickets,etc. it's getting very stressful.

How do I explain to her making a costume and getting it commissioned is way better than Pre-made ones when getting it made costs alot,Pre-made one is cheap,and making it will be cheap but not as good looking as the other two. Plus what ways are available about paying less for a badge? I know of volunteering..is that the best solution?
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
emmisu
King of Toast

Well first, do you have to depend on her to go to cons? Do you have another friend or family member you could go with?

Honestly if she doesn't want to pay/work you should limit her to one costume if you're feeling generous. Making costumes takes a lot of time and energy and money and she's obviously not grateful to you at all for your work. If she doesn't want to pay for a costume, she doesn't need to cosplay. Simple as that.

Convention badges range a lot, I WISH my con badges were $35 for a weekend but I pay around $60 for Otakon alone, not counting my artist alley table costs. You're getting a deal, although I don't understand why YOU are paying for her.

Perhaps if you like to commission things, you could look to getting an artist alley table at the con you go to and sell cosplay accessories or commissions. That's a good way to make your money back if you can produce some crafts and stuff. Of course, this IS an extra expense, so plan ahead at least a year if you want to start doing artist alley stuff so you have enough product to make back your money or more. There's the added benefit of being able to sit all day at the booth if you want, which my friends and I have greatly enjoyed.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

First off, don't pay for her crap anymore. She knows you're disabled and finances are tight, and she's still taking advantage of you. That can't be excused or tolerated. If she won't fork over her own money for a badge, she doesn't go. If she wants to buy bad cosplay, let her. Just don't let her use up your valuable effort, time, and money, because it's despicable of her and you don't deserve it.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

1) You can't force your friend in to your own personal beliefs in this kind of fandom. Everyone works what best suits their own style and budget. You are right for explaining how you are able to pay for things, though. That is your own right to explain, should you chose to.

2) You should pay for anything of her's unless she's planning on paying you back. A friendship that is fueled on people telling you to buy them stuff is never a good friendship.

3) For paying less for a badge; your options are to participate in a group order (they offer a small discount for large groups for the most part), enter a contest and win said badge (a huge gamble, but worth it if you win it), volunteer or work on staff. There's really no way around it otherwise, sorry to say.

Good luck with your friend though.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap

Last edited by nyokun : 02-14-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Re-read OP and had to clarify things.
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Tell her that pre-made costumes are not legal in cons, and show her the advantages of commissioning her costumes or making them, like the possibility of adapting it to her or adapting her to the costume, depending on the variations she would want to do.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Gee, For a friend like that I rather go by myself at the cons. You could try to explained to her your reasons such as your financial needs and how it can help the both of you save money. Also, don't let your friend make you pay for all the things she want. If she wants to cosplay, let her find the way to pay for her stuff. I mean, if she's complaining why your spending money on fabric, then why is she agreeing in you in making her cosplays? She should know by then how much time and money it takes. I agree, sometimes ordering cosplays online is much cheaper and faster to get. However, the quality might not be great and you'll still end up fixing it if the size too big on you.
As for badges costing less. You can try to buy them in advance when there aren't that pricey. You can also volunteer to get a free badge.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
AlbinoShadow

This sounds very familiar to me as a lot of my friends have a small interest in anime or costuming. They don't want to put in work to make their own costumes or pay to attend cons. And that's okay. These are all major expenses.

You just can't rely on those kinds of people for going to cons.

Costumes get expensive. I'm lucky if I make one of mine for under $100. That's more than most people are willing to pay. Again, that's fine. You don't need a cosplay to enjoy a convention. Some of my friends, once they started going to conventions, decided they liked cosplay and tried it out for themselves. Then again, cosplay isn't for everyone. You can't force people into it. They won't want to listen and you'll wear yourself out.

I'm in with Emmisu that a $35 badge looks pretty good. The con has to pay off its expenses. Volunteering is a possibility, but some cons will only give you a pass for the days that you work and you may end up missing the events you want to attend. My best advice is to save up money little by little. Buy passes early on the con's website when they are (usually) less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
Tell her that pre-made costumes are not legal in cons
No. Maintain honesty with your friends. Pre-made costumes are fine (outside of competition) and no con will tell you otherwise.

Last edited by AlbinoShadow : 02-14-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: slight grammar
AlbinoShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Thanks guys so much! This helps alot. I depend on her so that I won't go to the Con alone. I will use this advice to explain it to her better.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
Tell her that pre-made costumes are not legal in cons, and show her the advantages of commissioning her costumes or making them, like the possibility of adapting it to her or adapting her to the costume, depending on the variations she would want to do.
That's ridiculous -- no one with half a brain would believe that.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
That's ridiculous -- no one with half a brain would believe that.
I mean for contests, in case she wants to participate.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote