Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Amanita

Ever repurpose a cosplay item for something else?

Have you ever taken a cosplay item (usually something meant for a specific character or fandom) and repurposed it for something else?

I'm guilty of using some of the hilt designs that Ultrasabers offers, and repurposing them as psionic or other energy based weapons. After all, Star Wars isn't the only franchise to use energy blades, just the most famous and well marketed. Now, I won't use a "licensed replica" that's an exact replica of Obi-Wan or Darth Vader's lightsaber. The hilt design's too specific and recognizable, and you can't even change the sound effects to simulate anything else.

However, the original or generic hilts on offer are fair game, and if you get one of the advanced soundboards that the saber-building community has come out with, you can customize the sounds. At the moment, I'm looking to get a very basic hilt, and have another saber builder add a Katana styled handguard to it. By the time I'm done, it won't look very Star-Warsy at all. And I've seen others do this- buying the plainest hilts on offer and making their own handguards, so they can simulate anime energy swords.

I'm also debating getting a Stormtrooper breastplate (just the upper part, and customizing it with my own details and paintwork. By the time I'm done, I won't have people wondering why I'm wearing a stormtrooper chestplate, it will look unique, even if its shape is familiar.

So who else has done this, or thought about it?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

I havent done anything, yet. Planning on it though.

Mine is actually directly related to the Ultrasabers hilts as well. At some point in the future, I'll probably be doing a custom saber for an original character from a table top RPG we play with friends. The character is known for being sort of random to a fault.

I just need the absolutely simplest hilt possible, which will then be wrapped with electrical tape of many colors to simulate a hand grip. The LED would be a color shifting one, so it wouldn't stay one set color for long. The sound board... because this monstrosity would make sound, wouldn't make anything close to normal light saber sounds. It would be a collection of duck quacks, squeaks, and random noises. It would likely be recognizable as a light saber, to a point... But not much beyond that.

I've considered doing something insane to a sculpt of some bounty hunter or storm trooper armor... I'd look like a technicolor swirl of paisleys - it's a design I enjoy doing, and while the armor would still be recognizable, no one would mistake it for an "official" costume attempt.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Undead Death Knight Starter Gear (WoW),
Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor), Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Well, the closest thing I've done that's like this is take apart my Gakuko cosplay to use for other cosplays. The sleeves and skirt are going to be used as parts of my Chizuru cosplay and the dickey is going to be used as a fake white juban collar whenever I need it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Amanita

Clockwork, you may want to investigate a soundboard called the igniter.
Get an empty v3 standard issue hilt, and wire it up with an RGBW LED and a v3 Igniter board and its trucolor satellite add-on. A quick look at the manual for the board reveals a feature called bladeshade- every time the blade is activated or resets itself (such as after flash on clash or blaster deflection), it can be set to change colors. Everything from minor variations to true randomness! And the igniter is probably the easiest board out there for making custom sound fonts as well.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Bombgirl
Bonkyu! Bonkyu!

I've definitely thought about it & highly considered it when it comes to wigs. I have a wig or two that can be reused for other characters, but I just can't bring myself to restyle them just yet..... There's always that small possibility of wearing the costume just once more (even if I haven't worn it in years......... >__>). Haha Anyone else have that problem or is it just me? ^^;;
Bombgirl is offline   Reply With Quote