Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

View Poll Results: Men, do you use makeup for your cosplays?
Yes, I do. It enhances the cosplay, and I am willing to do anything to make it more accurate. 8 57.14%
Yes, but only paints. If a character has obvious lipstick on or something, I won't. 0 0%
Yes, only foundation to lighten/darken my skin tone, or hide imperfections, but nothing else. 0 0%
No, I cosplay as some characters who may have makeup or face paint on, but I don't go that far. 0 0%
No, I try to avoid characters that would have any makeup on at all, male or female, it doesn't matter. 2 14.29%
No, I cosplay easy. Makeup is too time consuming or hard for me to bother win. 0 0%
I am a female who happened into the thread and demands an option in this poll! >:x 3 21.43%
Other (Lucy, you got some esplainin' to do!) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Question for non crossplaying males.

Do you at alll, use make up to enhance your cosplay? I ask this of non-crossplaying males because I am sure any female is willing to, and if you crossplay being male, I am sure they do too, but males who don't crossplay, I am curious to the numbers of them here who actually go the extra mile by using makeup. Asking this here because if I posted in the makeup forum, I think the answer there would be all yes obviously. Asking in this more open board. So, fellas.... do you?

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Loveless12

I would if I knew how to.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Brutal
Metal Thrashing Otaku

I don't really use make up unless it's for a character that uses face paint or has specific scars/markings on his face and even then I normally try to avoid those because I'm no good when it comes to make up and I sweat a lot/rub my face without noticing and it ruins the make up anyways. QQ

Conseason 2014:
TBA

Bring back Naruto Trek and Yasumicon!
Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
rajamitsu

Voted other since it's someone else's experience that I'm very familiar with. ^^

My husband always wears foundation and powder when he cosplays, mostly for the sake of photos. It reduces the shine on the skin and makes pictures look better. He'll do a bit of extra makeup work if needed (he does one character with lines on his face that we put on with an eyeliner pencil), but I don't think he'd go as far as lipstick. I could see him maybe doing something like eyeshadow to put circles around his eyes if needed, but no further than that.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Altrus
I love dogs!

I always use makeup when cosplaying at cons. It might seem silly, but it goes a long way. It smooths out the complexion, and can help sharpen the eyes and other features, and really accentuates the ways in which you look like a character. Since I only use it at conventions and photoshoots, I've been using the same bare minerals makeup for a while now. Also, it seems the lovely women in my life are more than happy to put makeup on me, so I've always had the blessing of expert application.

Additionally, it's also great for making and blending into scars, burns, ect that some characters have.
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Anyone who wants to look good in photographs, regardless of gender, should wear makeup. Male actors? Male news anchors? Male whatevers appearing on camera in any professional capacity? Wearing makeup. Always have been.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

I would be hard-pressed to think up a male character that uses makeup that does not count as crossplaying.

Even if I could think up some, they're not the type of character I usually feel connected enough to to cosplay. I'm more of the shota type cosplayer. ;p

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
I would be hard-pressed to think up a male character that uses makeup that does not count as crossplaying.

Even if I could think up some, they're not the type of character I usually feel connected enough to to cosplay. I'm more of the shota type cosplayer. ;p

Well, most anime guys have that smooth/feminine skin going on for example. If you were to cosplay Edward Elric, would you go as you are, or put on concealer, foundation, and contouring to bring out a more accurate build of face? I mean, let's face it, not everyone has a perfect androgynous face like most anime characters do.

Then for characters with makeup without going feminine with it, there is, for example, Chiaotzu from Dragon Ball Z, Suzuki from Yu Yu Hakusho, or Ulquiorra from Bleach? They exist. s:

Chiaotzu is shota-like. ... and if you go for shota, I would assume you would try to use makeup to look younger, if you aren't that young already, that is.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Well, most anime guys have that smooth/feminine skin going on for example. If you were to cosplay Edward Elric, would you go as you are, or put on concealer, foundation, and contouring to bring out a more accurate build of face? I mean, let's face it, not everyone has a perfect androgynous face like most anime characters do.

Then for characters with makeup without going feminine with it, there is, for example, Chiaotzu from Dragon Ball Z, Suzuki from Yu Yu Hakusho, or Ulquiorra from Bleach? They exist. s:

Chiaotzu is shota-like. ... and if you go for shota, I would assume you would try to use makeup to look younger, if you aren't that young already, that is.
I actually have pretty fair skin, to the point where some women want to tear it off and use it for themselves. xD So by way of genes I'm set there. I wouldn't really cosplay Edward Elric, so no comment on that.

I know they exist, but again, nothing I really watch or care to remember about.

Not really. ._.
I have a young face, thankfully. If it wasn't for my 6' height issue I'd be a great shota cosplayer without the use of makeup.

On the note of foundation though, I'd like to say I would use it if I had a lighter skin tone. My skin tone as it is is just too dark to use it. I'd have to /cake/ it on to lighten my natural tone, and then it just looks bad.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
trmbngrl
Britt

My boyfriend finally agreed to let me do makeup on him, and then.. he agreed that it helped his cosplay SO much that he does not care any more. Also. He's doing Joker from Kuroshitsuji and I'm pretty sure he is gonna wear pound for pound more makeup than I am that day. xD
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Speaking for my boyfriend, he uses the pale facepaint for his Magus cosplay (so yes, makeup), and for normal-faced characters he just gets a dusting of foundation and maybe some concealer.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Speaking for my boyfriend, he uses the pale facepaint for his Magus cosplay (so yes, makeup), and for normal-faced characters he just gets a dusting of foundation and maybe some concealer.
He was Magus? I might have passed by you guys at the end of Anime North 2012.

Back on topic, I had concealer put on my face for a wedding. I had to admit, it covered up my facial blemishes very well. Whether I would do that for cosplays, I haven't decided.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiryuux View Post
He was Magus? I might have passed by you guys at the end of Anime North 2012.

Back on topic, I had concealer put on my face for a wedding. I had to admit, it covered up my facial blemishes very well. Whether I would do that for cosplays, I haven't decided.
Yup! This is me and him- he has two versions, Prophet and regular, though the photos of him are a bit old (circa 2011 and 2010). http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3216129/ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2951988/ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2990218/
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
ze0ro

I have no hesitation about using makeup. What's The Joker without clown paint and lipstick?
And I would have no issue using cover up for a blemish before going to a show; my picture is taken thousands of times a day.
ze0ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
harmonyisarine

I'm one of the ladies who cosplays with Altrus. We also usually have my brother with us. My brother just shrugs and lets us do what we want, so he wore make-up without us badgering. All it took for Altrus was a snapshot without make-up and a snapshot with make-up. Especially in con lighting and a wide range of cameras, just a basic foundation and a hint of eyeliner makes a huge difference. I know it seems silly to wear make-up, but you can even go to a drugstore and get some inexpensive stuff.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote