Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Why do YOU take a pic?

So I am curious, what makes YOU take a picture of a particular cosplay? What makes a cosplay worth taking a pic of? And what do you do with the pics you take?
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I like taking pictures of characters of something I know. If it is from a series that rarely gets cosplayed, even better. If the person is wearing an amazing cosplay(like a great prop, awesome costume) then I will get a picture whether I know the series or not. I keep the photos on my laptop and I like looking at them every now and then to remember the fun times I had at that con.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
dwayna

I hope you mean when you're at a con and you take a picture of a cosplayer because if you don't mean that then I'm totally answering the question wrong.

I usually take pictures of people if I like their character or the series they're cosplaying from or I really like how their costume is made or how they did their make up, etc. Or sometimes I'll take a picture for a friend who really likes such-and-such character or such-and-such series.
dwayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

I take pics of those cosplaying as my favorite video game characters, those of my favorite fandoms and those with just absolutely awesome costumes.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Brutal
Metal Thrashing Otaku

If I recognize the character and if it's a character I like. That's pretty much it.

Conseason 2014:
TBA

Bring back Naruto Trek and Yasumicon!
Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

But is there any defining moment when a cosplay just screams "look at me"?
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

What I look for in a cosplay: Are they my favorite character? Is said cosplayer able to just bring out the character's personality? Are they rare that I think that I won't see another cosplay for it? Those are things I usually ask myself as I see a cosplay. I also will go to the cosplayer if they look approachable and mature. As in, they're not screaming all over the place and acting like "brats". As for what I look for when I don't know the series? I love to take pictures of anything that looks well-made, has an amazing design, and just screams at me to "COSPLAY/WATCH THIS SERIES". The last question, I don't do much with the pictures but I do enjoy playing with them, like editing them on Photo-shop, or even making a video with them.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Khorrupt

It's generally based on if I like the character, even if the costume isn't great. Other times, it's just because I really like how the costume was executed even if I don't know who the character is!
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Mostly if I know the character, and if it's done at least decently well.

There's a cosplay every so often though that I just am forced to take a picture, regardless of the character being cosplayed. Like, I won't know who it's supposed to be because I've never watched that particular anime, but you can just tell that it is so well done. The details are flawless, the hair/wig doesn't have a strand out of place, the person just pulls it off with effortlessness and confidence.. yeah. Those I take pictures of and look up the character /after/.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

1) seriously fucking amazing costume, so amazing that I don't even care that I don't know the character, I have to snap it and go to my costuming friends and show them how damn amazing that thing was.
2) one of my favorite characters from a series/game I enjoy...but ONLY if the costume is really well done. I fully admit it.
3) something so different and random but well-made and well-conceived, or so rare, that I have to give them props and take a photo to encourage them to keep it up. Unless it's a rare character done incredibly poorly, like paper-bag-and-Sharpies poorly.

I don't really do much with my photos, though. I mainly post them in a photobucket or something so that people from the con looking for photos of themselves can find it, but that's about it. The only photos that I obsess over are photos of my own costumes, since I need them for my portfolio and website.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

The SAME thing as Capsule Corp. XD
If I like it a lot, if it's one of my favorites, or if it's really different.

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 50%- Sleeves are attached!
Frozen - Elsa Coronation - Future - Not quite planning.
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
Ilafatyu
That guy

I pretty much never take pictures. In my past three conventions, I've probably taken four pictures. Mostly of the sheer mass of people. Nine times out of ten I can find pictures of people whose costumes I liked from the 'did you take my picture' thread in the forum afterward, if I really want to see a person's cosplay after the fact.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Not characters I like, but obscure characters I like, I need pictures of. Examples, I saw a Rorona Frixell at Otakon last year.... and a Ryoga/Ukyo together at Anime Boston one year as well.

Costumes that are overdone, not by means of overcosplayed, but overdetailed. I remember an officer Jenny with a Growlithe at AB last year too. Cool thing is, the Growlithe was on the AB boards, and I actually had a good chat with her through PM.

Anything from my favorite series.... like Full Moon wo Sagashite, Air TV, and Anohana.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
Loveless12

My first big convention (otakon this year) my family wanted to see pictures of what people dressed up as, so I looked for costumes that stood out, like crossplay, big props, uniqueness etc.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Julesie

Usually I take a picture if its a series or character I like.

Ignoring that, I usually take photo's of cosplayers that have lovely outfits that I have never seen before and so much detail to them.
I also take photos of cosplayers who I personally don't know much about but if a friend I know loves that series and I recognize they are from that I also take the photos.
Last year at MCM October I saw many yugioh cosplayers walking around. I didn't know the show then but I recognized some of the characters. I came home with quite a few of the photos and now I'm madly obsessed with the show myself.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote