Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

I think making a costume which accents your body type is what takes cosplay to the next level. It fits tightly where it needs to be. It fits snugly where it needs to be.
After all, clothes are just there as a tool to upgrade your appearance and likewise for cosplay.
The most defining characteristics of anime character or anything are their curves.

Some other things I notice at cons are wigs that shine too brightly.

Just being attentive to details and getting the common things right makes a great cosplay. C:
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Shana05
The Nation of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
The things that I notice are:

Oversized costumes
Full suit costumes
Costumes with working lights
Big gorgeous dresses
Underdone characters I know

Those are usually my "eye-catching" things.
This and I'm going to add large props to that list. Alice is the costume that gets me the most attention due to my giant hobby horse.

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
p0p0p0psico
crafty mc'craftin

Knowing where to insert all the 3D structural elements that 2D characters effectively disregard and still manage to make it seamless.

'Nice armored boots. Tell me, how'd you get your foot in that? Or better yet, how will you get it out?'

The dilemma, lol.

♥ Lt. Kitsurbami - FLCL
♥ Aisha ClanClan - Outlaw Star
♥ The Black Angry Bird - Angry Birds
♥ Shuurei Kou - Saiunkoku Monogatari
p0p0p0psico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Personally for me, I think it is the props a cosplayer may have or the level of detail they put into their cospay. So if they are cosplaying a character I know very well, and they include a detail on their costume that most people miss, I get really excited.
Also if the cosplayer can stay in character well, that catches my attention too (although I haven't encountered too many people who are in character)
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I think making some small little detail unique can really make it - if you're in a sea of My Little Pony cosplayers but you took the time to include something like a bunch of candy (for Pinkie Pie) or a particular book (for Twilight Sparkle) then that can really make you shine.

Or if your costume calls for a particular colour trim, but you add just that little bit of sparkle by using a slightly fancier type of trim, that too can really help.
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Lithium Flower
Handphones

What takes a costume to the next level? I would imagine the escalators.

Is this a trick question?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
This and I'm going to add large props to that list. Alice is the costume that gets me the most attention due to my giant hobby horse.
I meant to add that actually. After I posted I got lazy and didn't, but I all of a sudden thought of all the Scythes I saw a year or two ago at Anime Boston sticking out of the crowd, and the huge swords. Thanks for calling on that. I find it more amusing you have an Ukyo avatar saying this too.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Shana05
The Nation of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
I meant to add that actually. After I posted I got lazy and didn't, but I all of a sudden thought of all the Scythes I saw a year or two ago at Anime Boston sticking out of the crowd, and the huge swords. Thanks for calling on that. I find it more amusing you have an Ukyo avatar saying this too.
Well, I'm going to be bringing her to my next con. I expect my giant spatula to bring me attention. I don't expect a lot of people to know the character as cons these days are filled with younguns who think InuYasha is old school.

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Well, I'm going to be bringing her to my next con. I expect my giant spatula to bring me attention. I don't expect a lot of people to know the character as cons these days are filled with younguns who think InuYasha is old school.
Yeah, I know how that is. My first con in 2005, I was actually Ryoga, and no one recognized me except one guy. Then again, I was a terrible closet Ryoga.... yellow shoe laces wrapped around my legs, and a plain yellow T shirt.... sucked so bad, but I have gotten better, lol. I LOVE seeing Ranma cosplayers though. I have gotten a very, very few Ranmas over the years (Even mistaken a girl from Hetalia for female Ranma), I got a Ryoga and Ukyo together, I got one or two Shampoos, and I am sure one or two other Ranma characters.

I honestly wish there were more Ranma cosplayers. I love that series.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
mentokjebus

Using new materials/techniques is big for me. If I wonder how someone made something I consider it to be more interesting than other costumes

I'm not going to claim I know/don't know anything about "good cosplay" or that any of my own stuff is "next level". I will say that I have a disproportionate amount of popularity at conventions due to being a male asian that is in decent shape.

Last edited by mentokjebus : 02-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
u-tv
Registered Loser

Extreme attention to detail.
Good quality materials.
Good make-up, and good props.

You know, things of that nature.

Hex Maniac - 35%
Shadow Peach - 0%
Spiritmaster Edea - 0%

A-KON 25 Lineup:

Friday - Spiritmaster Edea
Saturday - Shadow Peach
Sunday - Hex Maniac
u-tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
harmonyisarine

I'm obsessed with sewing and have been known to rush right past amazing props and armor with lights to the person in a simple, but perfectly tailored and sewn outfit. I'm not even talking big, over the top dresses, just little things.

So for me, it'd be the fabric choices and the care taken in construction. How something is fit and pieced together and finished. And, of course, the eye to detail.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

I always like it when people think of the reality of things, for example I love it when people who cosplay feferi from homstuck make their necklaces out of shells since she's from the sea, its my own personal taste but I'd rather see lifelike colored shells rather than bright neon beads
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGenki View Post
I always like it when people think of the reality of things, for example I love it when people who cosplay feferi from homstuck make their necklaces out of shells since she's from the sea, its my own personal taste but I'd rather see lifelike colored shells rather than bright neon beads
This. I've been known to forsake correct detail for realism's sake. Using slightly muted colors for characters who wouldn't have access to brighter dyes, making high heels less ankle-breaking for an active character. When researching for Judal, I stumbled across a cosplayer whose jewelry was sort of a burnished/brushed gold, with wide bangles instead of the usual thin bright gold ones. It caught my eye when the rest of them had faded from memory. I can't find the picture, but I plan on taking the same direction with my cosplay.

But that's my take.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Having a good wig is really important. It doesn't matter how great your costume is, if your wig looks like it came from Party City or Wal Mart, it's going to make the whole thing look mediocre.
Possible 2015 conventions: Sakura-con, A-Kon
https://www.facebook.com/riceballcosplay
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote