Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
KatyCruel

Redesigning a genderbent character?

So, I want to do a fem!Link cosplay....sometime. (Not exactly sure when. XD)

So, to get some ideas, I looked at fanarts and cosplays and stuff that other people did...and I hated it. There seemed to be two options: Link with longer hair and boobs, or impractically exposed female warrior who happens to have a Master Sword and floppy hat. And I didn't want to do either of these because these are the kinds of genderbent cosplays that make other cosplayers hate genderbent cosplays.

And then I had a REALLY awesome idea!

I'm going to make a sweatercoat in the style of Katwise. Her coats are gorgeous and I've bought the pattern/tutorial. My plan was to make it out of t-shirt (so it wouldn't be so heavy) and about mid-thigh length in various shades of green - with Link's main green for the bodice. I'd make the sleeves white and the bands around the bottom of the skirt would be grey (and then I'd wear white leggings and leather boots with it)

Since this is a little more on the fairy end of things, I think the Master Sword might be a bit inappropriate, though I might do the Deku shield and Kokiri sword. I'd want to have the Hero's bow and would be carrying (and playing) the Ocarina of Time. I'd try to get a wig kind of like his except long, too.

The questions:
1. Would you guys recognize this as being Link?
2. Could this be mistaken for anything else?
3. Could I do anything in particular to make this more recognizable?
4. Opinions? Suggestions? Anything? I mostly want to know what people will think about this before I go out and get twenty-five or thirty T-shirts.
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I think that's a great idea personally. I also don't like many of the genderbend cosplays for the same reasons as anyone else..I think there are better ways to do them..Being an artist I have drawn some so..lol

I think the bow may not help you be recognized. By PLAYING, do you mean having the actual Ocarina? or do you mean music playing out of speakers? I guess both ways aren't gonna help much either. Peoiple might just think you're bored so you got one..I say at least a sword and shield (doesn't have to be the master/Hyrulian combo, nor the Deku/Kokiri combo either, just any combo in general) because those are big Link givaways. The bow might just make you look like a OC you made up..And at least have the hat, no matter what that is a Link must-have.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
KatyCruel

The hat would be sort of replaced by the pointed hood on the coat, but yeah, I'd actually be PLAYING the ocarina. I've been playing for like four years and have been wanting to do a cosplay with it....since I started cosplaying. =p
(seeing the long pointed hood on the coat was actually what made me think of doing it this way)

Last edited by KatyCruel : 02-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh I guess I didn't notice the hoods were pointy lol They blend in so well that the thumbnails are hard for me to tell it has a pointed hood lol But that's even better. And you can still have the Ocarina, just have the sword/shield on your back or something, or even just a shield if anything. But make it one of the shealds that's REALLY well known or people might not know..I know some games have a few different shield that not a lot of people care to remember (*COUGH* MIRROR SHIELD THAT I FREAKING LOVED *COUGH*) lol I would love to see this when it's done (granted you do it)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
KatyCruel

I'm definitely doing this in some form or another and I would really like to do it like this. But yeah, I think having the Deku Shield and a sword would be good. The Hylian shield feels like it would be to heavy for a design like this. (It might be more widely recognized, but whatever. When I want constant recognition I'll do Liz or Kallen or Panty. I just really love this design. XD)
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, I would love to see it. It's a great idea and so many others will love it just as much.
Well, the Hyrulian shield and master sword won't look good with the way you plan on making this look..YTou mentioned being more "fairy like" which that always reminds me of Amy Brown. The entire OOT begining of the game reminds me of her lol so the Deku shield and Kokiri sword seem more fairy like to me. And the sword/shield really shouldn't be JUST for recognition. Since there are many other combos are recognizable and will also LOOK better in this version (like the Deku/Kokiri)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

You should see this if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q

I think she does a wonderful female Link outfit. Even with it being the less common blue Link, and wielding a violin, I don't think people would mistake the character much. I didn't have much else to input, but thought you may find that interesting.
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Amanita

I love that sweater-coat, I've bookmarked the page. Now I'm wondering if it could be made using non-knit fabric- silk dupioni would be stunning!

As for genderbends- I've seen a really good female bane- the cosplayer didn't change too much at all about the costume, she pretty much kept it the same. I forget what she did with her hair, whether she wore a bald cap or what, but it wasn't unduly long. And it worked- she conveyed that same air of menace that the original Bane did.

I only really take issue with genderbends when people sexualize characters that really aren't meant to be overtly sexual, such as a Boba Fett or Stormtrooper wearing an outfit that's either inappropriately skimpy, or is straight up lingerie. To me, it's a bit disrespectful to the character, sexualizing them regardless of their function or personality.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
KatyCruel

I probably won't use actual t-shirts - just light cotton. These coats really work best with natural fabrics - the pattern recommends cotton and/or wool. And even though the entirety of the coat is gonna be kinda light, I don't want the fabric to be too light just because the skirt of the coat is gonna have a bit of weight to it no matter what I do. =p Also, if you upcycle shirts, it's cheaper, and the pieces are pretty much already cut out for you.

EDIT:Before I do this, though, I'm just gonna make a normal coat for average wear before I try to go for a specific look. I'm a pretty beginner-ish sewer. XD
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Female Link? Let's see:

- A green tunic top and skirt
- Long blonde hair
- Feminine makeup
- Brown heeled boots
- Bomb bag purse

Pretty basic ideas I suppose.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
KatyCruel

High heeled boots is one of those things that kinda bothers me because it's so freaking impractical. XD I'm actually getting boots from Catskill Moccasins for my Merida costume as well as my Renaissance Fair outfit and I think those would work well for this. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm gonna do for the wig, but it'll be moderately long and blonde and I might try to spike the front like Link's hair.