Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #31
WeskerFanGirl

Always be respectful of convention staff. They are volunteers. If you want to go to an 18+ panel, make sure you get your wristband early. Don't assume convention staff will let you in just because you "look old enough" or because your friend runs the panel. Likewise, be respectful of hotel staff, or they may decide not to have the convention there next year.

Unread 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru2322 View Post
Another good tip:
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE THE CON TO MAKE YOUR COSTUME OR PROP

My friend did that with her Ariel costume for Kotoricon in January, and while she looked cute, it fell apart by the end of the con. She was literally exposed towards the end of the day.
I did the same thing with my Maria head platter for NYCC last year, luckily it turned out fine for the convention. But now I have to remake the crown because I didn't build it to last in my frenzy.
If only that where possible...
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru2322 View Post
Another good tip:
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE THE CON TO MAKE YOUR COSTUME OR PROP

My friend did that with her Ariel costume for Kotoricon in January, and while she looked cute, it fell apart by the end of the con. She was literally exposed towards the end of the day.
=0. I remember seeing Ariel at Kotoricon! She was so cute. That stinks that it fell apart though. :/ On a random note...were you the Stocking with her?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #34
BlackThourne
In Real Life Magical Girl

Bring spare everything you can! Socks. Shoes. You never know.
BlackThourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
CautiousAmber

PRINT THIS OUT AND HIGHLIGHT WHAT YOU NEED --> http://crazy4comiccon.files.wordpres...ckthislist.jpg

Seriously, it's a lifesaver to have on hand and keep you from forgetting important stuff.
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Senevilla

A map! I used to throw away all my maps, but now I keep them and use them for reference when I inevitably get lost.

Safety pins are a good thing to keep in your bag as well. I use an old Altoids box to store them. They can be lifesavers when your costume rips!

Hand sanitizer. You may not be able to wash your hands before you eat.
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

The biggest things I can recommend are:

Eating, always make time to eat. Even if you don't eat much normally, you'll need to eat during a con. You will be walking around a lot, all day, in a costume, you will end up using a lot more energy than you'd think.
This goes double for water, don't forget to drink water. Luckily, a lot of cons have water stations set up every few meters, so be sure to take advantage of those.

Always bring things like a needle and thread, extra contacts/contact solution (( If needed )), bandaids, safety pins, and extra socks. You never know what could happen. I lost a contact in the bathroom at the con and almost had to go without seeing for the duration of the con because I didn't bring a back-up pair.

If you are wearing uncomfortable shoes, take time to rest your feet, they will thank you, and nobody will care if you take time out to rest. Even go outside and take off your shoes for a while if you need to. This is highly recommended.

If you're staying at the hotel, bring your own food. But make sure to double check everything, things like whether or not your room has a microwave and a fridge, as well as remembering eating utensils and plates/bowls/cups. I forgot to check my room, and ended up eating cold cans of food right out of the can for the weekend.
Deodorant is a biggie, there is no such thing as too much deodorant. Also bring something to spray cosplays with, especially if you plan on wearing one more than one day-Something like fabreeze will work.

Make a checklist so you don't forget anything, remember cell phone, charger, deodorant...And everything you need for your cosplay. Double, nay, triple check. Nothing sucks more than getting to the con or hotel and realizing you forgot your wig cap, or shoes, or even a prop.

Daughter of White-Haku (Vocaloid)
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyCiel View Post
If you're staying at the hotel, bring your own food. But make sure to double check everything, things like whether or not your room has a microwave and a fridge, as well as remembering eating utensils and plates/bowls/cups. I forgot to check my room, and ended up eating cold cans of food right out of the can for the weekend.
Just got back from a con. I remembered the plasticware, paper bowls and plates and even cups for hot and cold drinks. But I forgot the can opener. Luckily, my pethuman always carries a P-38 on him or I would have had to go hunting for a can openner.
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #39
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiousAmber View Post
PRINT THIS OUT AND HIGHLIGHT WHAT YOU NEED --> http://crazy4comiccon.files.wordpres...ckthislist.jpg

Seriously, it's a lifesaver to have on hand and keep you from forgetting important stuff.
My hero.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
CautiousAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
My hero.
Eep, so glad you found that helpful!!!
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #41
hikaru2322

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
=0. I remember seeing Ariel at Kotoricon! She was so cute. That stinks that it fell apart though. :/ On a random note...were you the Stocking with her?
I was actually dressed as Vinyl Scratch for Kotoricon (Blue wig, stomach revealing top, and SUPER high heels) ^^
hikaru2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
Vanilla_Rose16

Since pretty much everything has been said...I will say one of the biggest, most important things I can recommend to any con-goer.
BRING TYLENOL
I can not stress that one enough. At the last con I attended I got a killer headache right before the masquerade. I packed a bottle and took two right before we got in line. I feel that if I didn't take that medicine the masquerade wouldn't have been as entertaining and fun as it was.

2013/2014 Cosplay Plans:
Allen Walker-D.Gray-Man (35% complete)
Misa Amane-Death Note (100% complete)
Cons Attending:
Anime Boston 2014
Another Anime Con 2013

-Stay Gold-
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
shmac

Just in general: be a good sport. Realize that not everything will go perfectly. If you're going with friends, understand that they might want to go to events that you're not interested in. You can split up (and hopefully still use the buddy system, if your group is big enough), or you can stay together and just go to the event; you might enjoy it anyway! Keep a light heart and an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymyway View Post
Along with what others said, like bringing water and deodorant, try and bring a towel if you're staying a a hotel! If you're staying at a hotel, chances are they'll have some, but that's not going to stop your roommates from taking them all first. Also, if you have body paint on, be respectful and use your own towels to wipe it all off as soon as possible.
Ohh my goodness, yes. I went to a con with a first-time Homestuck cosplayer, and she used one of the hotel towels wipe off her face paint. They probably had to throw that towel out. If you wear body paint, make sure to bring your own towels/wipes to clean it up with!

Along with towels, BLANKETS. If you're staying in a hotel with more people than bed spaces, it doesn't hurt to have an extra blanket or two, as floors can be COLD. You can ask the hotel for extra blankets, but there's no promise they'll actually bring you any. /experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
The middle pouch is meant for papers, so that's where schedules, signed photos (in a very sturdy folder), and other flat things go.
This reminds me; I also carry a folder with me in my bag! It keeps tickets/programs/autographs/small artist's prints/etc safe while I'm running around a con. It's just plain handy, and keeps things in nice shape. Friends have thanked me for it.
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #44
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Something I don't think anyone has said...Before bringing your stuff into a room, check the headboard, matress, and possibly the cloth covered furniture for black or red specks. If you see black and/ or red specks about pin prick size, leave the room and go to the front desk. Tell them you think your room has bed bugs. Ask for a new room on a different floor. If they cannot do that, get another room in a different hotel.