Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
mugenginga

Best Place to Buy Wigs?

After half an hour on Google, I've decided to come here for advice.

I'm looking for a wig for a cosplay I would like to do, a humanized Rarity from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I've got a a fair number of things I'm looking for.

1. Full Skin-Cap if at all possible - Caucasian on the skin cap color.
2. Long enough to reach to the base of my spine at the shortest - I'm willing to cut if necessary.
3. Able to be styled with things like curling irons and whatnot without damage. I want to style it into Rarity's curls myself.
4. Purple/Dark Purple coloring (this is the character if you want an exact color match: http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/a...653!Rarity.jpg )
5. Something that will hold color, as I've heard most real hair wigs have trouble holding 'unusual' colors. I'm fine with synthetic if it matches the above.
6. As close to looking like real hair as possible - bonus if it manages to feel it too!
7. Price is little to no object - I'm willing to pay/save up for for high quality, as I have lots of different ideas for outfits and would like to be able to cosplay alternate forms/outfits of my favorite pony.

The things I'm most willing to slide on is the skin-cap and real hair similarities. The things I'm least willing to slide on is the color and styling ability.

Thanks!
mugenginga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
usuyukisou

Arda Wigs is the one I'd recommend. The wigs are gorgeously mixed and realistic having only a subtle sheen. No shiny flash monsters here. I don't think any of their wigs have a *full* skincap, though many have a small area of skincap to create the illusion of real hair. The price is what I consider to be mid-range. They ship from Illinois (very quickly if the item is in-stock, though I might add they don't work weekends), and their wigs are also sized to fit American heads. Off the top of my head, a Luthien in Grape is the way to go for Rarity.
http://arda-wigs.com/products/luthien

Warpaint and Unicorns posted pictures of colour samples. Scroll down to reach the purples and see if you like any of them.
http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2...hes-fiber.html

Arda also has a customer gallery so you can see their wig colours in different lighting. I'm linking you to the page for Grape colour, but you can travel and explore their other purples as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ardawig...7626234370703/
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
mugenginga

I'm actually liking the Ultra-Violet (got a bit more POW, and if Rarity needs anything it's POW) and the Dark Lavender. Grape feels a touch on the dull side.

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll bookmark them! (I hadn't heard of Arda from browsing other posts for wigs, so you gave me some unique advice, much appreciated!)
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I say epiccosplay.com
Their wigs come in that color and they almost never tangle.

I would do the same and reccomend arda, but their wigs tangle pretty easily
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
mugenginga

@Jason - Took a looksee, the blending seems less realistic than Arda though (looking at Arda they seem to take the whole highlights/lowlights into account when they make their wigs).

I assume both company's wigs can be styled with things like a curling iron without damage?
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea that IS true, I do find erpic to look a little more "cartoony" but I think it's still worth it in the long run unless you know very very well how to take care of long wigs. I'll say this: In my experience with long wigs, I have used 2 long arda wigs (they were for commissions but still), and both came a little tangled in the package..But with all the long epiccosplay wigs I've used for one reason or another (about 6 or 7 of them) not a single one came tangled, nor did they tangle the entire time
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
mugenginga

I'm expecting to have to do a lot of styling on the Arda Wig I'm eyeing (the long Le Tigre in Ultraviolet so I can style it myself), and they have some really nice tutorials for straightening and the like. I'm going to pop onto their forums once my registration goes through and ask questions about maintenance and whatnot. It will probably be some time before I buy the wig (I'm not aiming to have this cosplay done for any specific con or anything) so I have lots of time to shop around.

I do really appreciate the advice even though I'm leaning heavily towards Arda, though! I don't want you to think you're being ignored or anything!
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
usuyukisou

One thing that helps with tangles if spraying your wig with silicone spray before use.

If you have lots of time, it is good to weigh all your options.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
JPBeauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenginga View Post
After half an hour on Google, I've decided to come here for advice.

I'm looking for a wig for a cosplay I would like to do, a humanized Rarity from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I've got a a fair number of things I'm looking for.

1. Full Skin-Cap if at all possible - Caucasian on the skin cap color.
2. Long enough to reach to the base of my spine at the shortest - I'm willing to cut if necessary.
3. Able to be styled with things like curling irons and whatnot without damage. I want to style it into Rarity's curls myself.
4. Purple/Dark Purple coloring (this is the character if you want an exact color match: http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/a...653!Rarity.jpg )
5. Something that will hold color, as I've heard most real hair wigs have trouble holding 'unusual' colors. I'm fine with synthetic if it matches the above.
6. As close to looking like real hair as possible - bonus if it manages to feel it too!
7. Price is little to no object - I'm willing to pay/save up for for high quality, as I have lots of different ideas for outfits and would like to be able to cosplay alternate forms/outfits of my favorite pony.

The things I'm most willing to slide on is the skin-cap and real hair similarities. The things I'm least willing to slide on is the color and styling ability.

Thanks!
We sell very high quality wigs and rare jewelry on our site. We are constantly adding new products and would love any suggestions with regards to the type of wigs that people are looking for, and that we may not have at this moment. We aim to join the cosplay community in an effort to provide a wide variety of wigs and other related products. The one thing we know for a fact that we can offer is very affordable prices. Feel free to look through our inventory and provide feedback/suggestions on desired products. Our site is http://www.jpbeautywarehouse.com
JPBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote