Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
FayLovecraft

Question Sclera Contacts?

I'm new here and I just wanted to ask a few questions about sclera lenses. This year for PAX West I want to cosplay a woodelf from Skyrim and they have all black eyes. Since the rest of my outfit will basically be elf ears and a simple dress, they would kind of be the best part and make it most authentic.

But it seems kind of difficult to go about getting them. First, I know that I would have to be fitted for them by an eye doctor. How much would this cost, and how difficult is it to find a doctor who will do this?
Will the doctor provide trial lenses to see if my eyes are irritated by them or not? I wouldn't want to spend all the effort to get them and then find out I can't wear them.

Any advice is appreciated
FayLovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

A doctor should have no major trouble measuring the size of your eye and determining your ideal magnification correction as part of a routine eye exam. The cost of an eye exam is entirely dependent on your medical insurance, and the last time you had your eyes checked. Most vision plans cover at least 2 eye exams a year. It's at the discretion of the doctor as to whether or not he charges an additional fee for actually writing it out in the form of an Rx. Unless you actually need vision correction, this additional fee will not be covered by insurance. Some doctors do have qualms about writing a generic Rx for special FX lenses. This is usually due to ignorance on their part.

Just call the office, tell them that you want an eye exam, and a rx for cosmetic lenses, and ask them what fees would be involved. They won't be able to tell you your actual co-pay, but they should be able to name the fees and the prices they charge for each. If you can't get a reasonably straight answer, just call the next doctor on your in-network list.

Depending on the doctor, you might be able to get samples, or vouchers for samples, of some of the disposable contacts. They also may use samples in order to instruct you on how to insert them. Again, there could be a fee attached to this. Those samples will not be full-sclera, and full-sclera is quite a different animal in the realm of discomfort.

Provided you follow all the instructions, most of the irritation that comes from wearing contacts either comes from poor technique in inserting them, or is in fact physically mild, and it's just your brain freaking out feeling something new and weird. Some people have a harder time than others ignoring this sensation.