Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
cowsrcute

dragonskin

I need to make a mold for dragonskin. I wanted to use a silicone mold since I read that silicone can be used as a mold but I am kinda confused. They say nothing sticks to dragonskin so when you paint it you have to put dragonskin with paint pigments. So, I am assuming that dragonskin sticks to dragonskin. If so, is this sticking to cured dragonskin or as it is curing? I can't find a sure answer to this. D=

Second is for the mold part. I want it as a silicone mold since I want to be able to store it easier in case I ever need it again. Will the dragonskin stick the the silicone mode? Do I need to add petroleum jelly first? Sorry if these questions sound easy. I really can't find the answer anywhere and I really don't want to mess up since it is so expensive. Thank you.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
detenten

I'm not sure what I just read. What is it you're doing/making, exactly? Are you trying to cast silicone in a silicone mold? That may or may not work. You'd have to use a lot of release agent and pray, since silicone sticks to silicone.

Generally you don't paint silicone, you dye it before casting.

After dragonskin silicone cures, you can put more dragonskin on it and it will stick.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Yes, liquid silicone will bond to cured silicone, especially while the cured silicone is fresh and clean. When painting a piece, you want to touch your casting as little as possible, because even the oils in your hands effect the silicone-paint's ability to stick.

Usually, if you are casting a flexible substance, you want to do so in a rigid mold. I make my molds for silicone using Smooth-On's shell shock (a thixotropic PU resin) followed by Smooth-on's plasti-paste II (a PU resin premixed with fiberglass fluff for strength) outside that. I give the finished mold a couple coats of primer to protect it from UV damage. You can also make rigid molds using fiberglass+resin, or plaster.

If you do choose to do a silicone casting using a silicone mold, you really need to buy a specialty mold release spray that is designed for silicone/silicone situations. If you really want a flexible mold for casting silicone (which may be useful for example if dealing with extreme undercuts), you can always go with polyurethane rubber.

Petroleum jelly is a pretty miserable mold release. The stuff is just too thick; if any globs of jelly are left in the mold, the result is glob-shaped air-pockets in your casting.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
verdatum

Arrg, sorry to double post but I just remembered and important bit:

If you use the special silicone-to-silicone mold release, you won't be able to paint the casting. It'll be covered in the special mold release, so the silicone paint won't stick. There's no good way to wash off the mold release residue.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
cowsrcute

Thank you so much you two. Sorry for the confusion detenten but you answered my question believe it or not. lol Thank you for all the product info verdatum. I just wanted silicone mold since I read it is easy to store but it's not to important. I am just a pack rat.

If I use the shell shock, fiberglass resin, or plaster, will I need a release agent then? I want to paint it after since I think it will be easier because I will have more control of where paint goes.
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
verdatum

release agent is not needed with dragon skin, nor other platinum silicones. However, a little tiny bit is not a bad idea to help preserve the mold's lifetime. Take a bit of regular dishsoap, and mix it 1:1 with some water, and sparingly brush that into the mold. Then give the mold a moment to dry (with plaster, it'll just soak right in) Then, when you pull the cast silicone piece, all it takes is a short rinse under water, and all the soap residue is gone. Air-dry or blow-dry and you're ready to paint.
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
cowsrcute

Thanks so much. =D