Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Higpi
No.

Exclamation Am I healthy?

My mom says i'm anorexic because I have protruding hipbones, collar bones and rib cage. My rib cage a little bit but not much, it seems normal. I eat a healthy diet and i'm in water polo. I'm 5'6 and a half to 5'7 somewhere around there. I weigh 130 and my bmi is 18.5% i also do workout programs like brazillian butt lift and p90x to stay in shape and to keep my body slim and toned. My doctor says i'm healthy, it's just my mom. Parents worry alot. I keep saying that it's because I take care of my body and it's just the way i'm built but she still insists on saying i'm 'anorexic'. I don't spit my food out or anything like that. I eat small proportions of food every 2-3 hours to keep my body going and energize. When i eat Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner, i full myself up to 80%. I don't eat till i'm 100% full in just one meal. When you're 80% full, you're basically 100% full. Like I said before, i also eat small proportions of of healthy food every 2-3 hours. My mom isn't fat, she's in good shape just not toned out I guess. I'm ofcourse smaller than her, not by height. I'm way taller than her. Probably that's why she worries? Because we don't have the same body shape.? I have broad shoulders (not crazily broad) and a long torso. My legs are thin but they looked toned and built because i'm in sports. She also freaks out because my thighs don't touch but i tell her that it's because the workout i'm doing that tones your legs and thighs and it's a good thing because when I go running, my thighs don't rub against each other. I heard that some people get blisters when they run because their thighs rub against each other.
I'm not loosing weight. I'm just toning my body. I used to be chubby when i was shorter and now since i've grown 4 inches more and lost all the excess fat, she worries. I used to be 5'3 weighing 133 and my bmi then was 23%.
But i'm actually starting to believe that i'm not healthy because other people around me are curvy, shorter, and more meatier.And me, I'm taller and thinner than they are. I'm talking about friends and neighbors. When i'm with my team mates, they tell me that I have a nice body and not to worry. But I just want my mom to stop nagging ✧
What do you guys think? Am I unhealthy? Is what my mom says true? Or is she just worrying because i'm growing up? I'm a female by the way. I'm 16.

Unread 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

130 at 5'6" is fine. Your mom sounds paranoid. Your BMI for your height and weight is actually 21, so are you sure the 18.5% isn't your body fat percentage? They're slightly different. 18.5% BF is in the "athlete" range and 21 BMI is normal healthy range. Keep doing what you're doing. Most people don't understand a healthy lifestyle when they see it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Some general statements:

Being skinny does not automatically mean that you are healthy
Being what people see as "very" skinny doesn't automatically mean that you're unhealthy
The BMI is notoriously full of crap
Your doctor is the only one who can tell you if you are healthy.

Weight is just one factor of health.

I honestly wouldn't obsess over it. Some people naturally store more fat or build more muscle than other people. Perhaps you don't store as much adipose fat as your peers. That's okay. Just listen to your body. If you FEEL unhealthy then that's an indication that you want to start looking at your lifestyle and whatnot.

Barring that, just keep on keepin' on.
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Penna Fae

Your fine. Your BMI is about 20 and you do sports. So long as you feel good and are not tired or feeling sick all the time you are fine. Your are just built skinny like me. <3
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
chupachan

Ishihara_Seth is absolutely right. Good advice!

Anorexia is a disorder, not a weight. One of the criteria for it involves weight, but even given that, you are at a healthy weight, not under. Parents will worry, as it is in their nature. I also have areas of my body that appear kind of bony, but at 5'8 and 125-130 I'm still quite healthy. If you have good energy and are not developing obsessive or irregular thinking patterns, you shouldn't have any real concern.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Higpi
No.

Oh my god! Thank you so much! From all of you! :* you guys really helped me out.
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
peahat

"I eat a healthy diet and i'm in water polo."

I think that should be about all we need to know! My mom gives me shit for being too thin too. And if I gain a little bit of weight, I'm too fat lol. It's just some moms, I guess.
peahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
130 at 5'6" is fine. Your mom sounds paranoid. Your BMI for your height and weight is actually 21, so are you sure the 18.5% isn't your body fat percentage? They're slightly different. 18.5% BF is in the "athlete" range and 21 BMI is normal healthy range. Keep doing what you're doing. Most people don't understand a healthy lifestyle when they see it.
Agreed.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote