Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
AshofRebirth

Water-based makeup+Alcohol=AA Makeup..?

Okay, this has been bothering me since it happened.
I visited a costume shop in my city this past weekend and they have a counter full of some pretty good costume makeup. Cream-based, water-based, Mehron, Ben Nye, Krylon, latex, etc. A little overpriced.. but eh. That's what you get for convenience.

Okay, so I went to check out hey maybe they have some Alcohol-Activated makeup.. I wanted something durable, but a level below PAX. I go to the counter and ask. He basically points me to their water-base makeup and says that if you add alcohol - it becomes alcohol-based (and you can't remove it without more alcohol). If you add water - it becomes water-based. He even referred to it as wax paint at one point. We went back and forth for a little bit because to be honest, I don't think he understood what I was asking for! I even asked if it'll be durable this way and he said yes..

I do remember that one of the paints he pointed at was called "Aquanet"

So.. I left telling him I don't think that's what I was looking for because I had this really, really bad feeling he was just trying to make a sale. The shop has a no-return policy now.

Was this guy bullshitting me, or this is true?!
Water-based makeup + Alcohol = Alcohol-based makeup(won't rub off without alcohol to remove it)?

I may buy a few palettes of water-based makeup anyhow.. I just wanna know if I can indeed add alcohol to increase its durability.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
AshofRebirth

Bump?

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I don't know about bullshitting you, but he was being less than clear.

There's a difference between "alcohol based" makeup and "alcohol activated" makeup. "Alcohol based" merely means that the solvent used in the makeup happens to be alcohol. It's true that you can use rubbing alcohol to apply water-based moist cake makeups like Kryolan Aquacolor. However, doing so does nothing to increase their holding power. The benefit you get is that the alcohol dries faster than water. This can be particularly useful in applications like airbrushing (so long as there is plenty of ventilation and no open flames or electric heaters nearby).

"Alcohol Activated" means that the makeup will only dissolve in alcohol (technically, other stronger solvents also work, but you wouldn't want to apply those solvents to the skin).

If you take a cake of good AA makeup and drip water onto it, the water will just sit there. You can brush it about, and it'll have about as much effect as trying to use water to dissolve a hunk of plastic.

I've used AA makeups where even 90% isoproyl rubbing alcohol did almost nothing to dissolve the makeup. You really need to use 96% at the minimum, but 99% or the specialty gel solvent is far more effective.

Oh, and I've never heard the term "wax paint" before. The closest term would be "greasepaint". While greasepaint does often contain waxes, it isn't used with a solvent. You just rub it on, and set it with face powder. Water doesn't mix with it in the least, alcohol would barely mix with it, and again, the solvents that do mix with it (e.g. mineral spirits, toluene, xylene) shouldn't be used on the skin.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Aaahhh! Verdatum to the rescue once again @-@
Thank you for clearing that up.. I think he didn't really know what he was talking about.. or was trying to confuse me. Or something!