Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
cinema_doll

exercises to sculpt an hourglass figure?

Hi! Do any of y'all know of any particular exercises/diets for making/enhancing an hourglass figure? i am kind of worried about all the exercises i keep hearing about that are supposed to make your waist size smaller, because ive been warned that a lot of popular exercises that tones your tummy from the side actually makes your waist look bigger when viewed from the front because it bulks up your muscles so im really looking more specifically for one that will draw the waist in when viewed head-on. are crunches and ab-vacuuming safe? also, what are some good toning exercises to add more volume to your chest/hips (so that if you're losing weight you won't lose as much size from those areas)? kind of a weird question lol but it would be a great help to my cosplay! any help is appreciated, thanks so much!
cinema_doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema_doll View Post
Hi! Do any of y'all know of any particular exercises/diets for making/enhancing an hourglass figure? i am kind of worried about all the exercises i keep hearing about that are supposed to make your waist size smaller, because ive been warned that a lot of popular exercises that tones your tummy from the side actually makes your waist look bigger when viewed from the front because it bulks up your muscles so im really looking more specifically for one that will draw the waist in when viewed head-on. are crunches and ab-vacuuming safe? also, what are some good toning exercises to add more volume to your chest/hips (so that if you're losing weight you won't lose as much size from those areas)? kind of a weird question lol but it would be a great help to my cosplay! any help is appreciated, thanks so much!
A lot of the times they say that bullshit so they can convince you to buy their said products. There are actually NO exercises that would cause your muscles to become bulkier (especially if you're a female) because it's all a function of diet. The best exercise program is actually the programs they want you to "avoid" because they know that the simplicity of workouts doesn't make much money in the long therm.

Anyways, the best way to achieve your goals is to simply weight train. By building muscle mass, you burn more energy from the repair and maintenance of those muscles each day, allowing more fat to be burned. This is why resistance workouts beat cardio anyday in terms of energy burned and how time efficient it can be. As a female, you do NOT need to worry about getting "bulky" like men do, unless you're taking anabolic steroids or additional testosterone (which allows men to build more muscle mass than women).

To answer some of your questions specifically:
- Any exercise workout that involves Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench Press (also known as the "big three") done in a full range of motion are the most effective workouts.
- Diet should be highly emphasized on protein with the least amount of processing done to it (ie, Whole foods cooked simply)
- Isolation exercises do little effort to burn overall body fat due to the small amount of work done to the muscles overall. Although the muscle group is more resistant, it does not require much maintenance to keep it that way.
- Hence, Crunches/ab-vaccuuming are not really the most safe or effective workouts out there. As a said before, doing Squats or any workout using heavy weights require core strength to drive the movement, so you're getting an ab workout indirectly. If you want to do some once in a blue moon, a quick set of torso twists does the trick for me.
- To reduce the "size" of the waist/hips is to actually Build more Muscle in those areas, while dropping some body fat in between. Females tend to store their body fat along those areas, and muscle is much more denser than fat (meaning it takes less space for the same weight). Please do not fall into the trap that you don't want to make your legs "bigger" by adding more muscle, when in fact there's more fat covering it than you think.

Or: Long story short, you could join a crossfit gym
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
rndmguy

The hourglass figure is really more genetics than anything else, and if you're going to have it then you're going to have it already even with a fair bit of bodyfat i.e Marilyn Monroe.

The different variations of crunches and the stomach vacuuming aren't dangerous. Performing the vacuum exercise is something that a lot of bodybuilders do, and it's pretty simple. It'll make your waist smaller by strengthening the muscles enough to correct posture problems you may have, but as mentioned already, having a small waist is primarily diet.

If you insist on doing ab stuff then avoid doing things with weights for them and the muscles shouldn't really grow that big.

The problem is that you can't really decide or spot-reduce where fat is, so it's possible that you could lose fat in your chest first instead of your waist, which would take away from that hourglass shape.

As already suggested, you could do pressing movements, squats, and deadlifts and that'll develop your chest and legs. I think you'll realize that doing that while lowering your BF% might be more appealing than trying to obtain an accentuated hourglass.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
cinema_doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
A lot of the times they say that bullshit so they can convince you to buy their said products. There are actually NO exercises that would cause your muscles to become bulkier (especially if you're a female) because it's all a function of diet. The best exercise program is actually the programs they want you to "avoid" because they know that the simplicity of workouts doesn't make much money in the long therm.

Anyways, the best way to achieve your goals is to simply weight train. By building muscle mass, you burn more energy from the repair and maintenance of those muscles each day, allowing more fat to be burned. This is why resistance workouts beat cardio anyday in terms of energy burned and how time efficient it can be. As a female, you do NOT need to worry about getting "bulky" like men do, unless you're taking anabolic steroids or additional testosterone (which allows men to build more muscle mass than women).

- Any exercise workout that involves Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench Press (also known as the "big three") done in a full range of motion are the most effective workouts.
- Diet should be highly emphasized on protein with the least amount of processing done to it (ie, Whole foods cooked simply)
- Isolation exercises do little effort to burn overall body fat due to the small amount of work done to the muscles overall. Although the muscle group is more resistant, it does not require much maintenance to keep it that way.
- Hence, Crunches/ab-vaccuuming are not really the most safe or effective workouts out there. As a said before, doing Squats or any workout using heavy weights require core strength to drive the movement, so you're getting an ab workout indirectly. If you want to do some once in a blue moon, a quick set of torso twists does the trick for me.
- To reduce the "size" of the waist/hips is to actually Build more Muscle in those areas, while dropping some body fat in between. Females tend to store their body fat along those areas, and muscle is much more denser than fat (meaning it takes less space for the same weight). Please do not fall into the trap that you don't want to make your legs "bigger" by adding more muscle, when in fact there's more fat covering it than you think.

Or: Long story short, you could join a crossfit gym
I think I get what you're saying - so if I want to reduce the size of my waist, I've got to exercise them a lot to strengthen and "draw in" the muscle? I'm kind of worried about simply losing overall body fat, because when I dropped some weight a little bit ago, I lost an inch off of my waist but two inches off of my hips :/ this probably sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I'm afraid that the more weight I lose, the more my waist-to-hip ratio will shrink I don't know genetically how far away I can stray from my normal pear-shape but I'm worried to find out! So since I'm not really trying to lose any weight/size in my hip area, wouldn't squats be bad since they work out the glutes/thighs as well? I'm so extremely clueless about all of this kind of thing lol, so I'm super sorry if I got it all totally wrong here! Anyway, thank you so much for your help so far! I think I learned more from you just now about exercise than I learned from a full year of Health class
cinema_doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema_doll View Post
I think I get what you're saying - so if I want to reduce the size of my waist, I've got to exercise them a lot to strengthen and "draw in" the muscle? I'm kind of worried about simply losing overall body fat, because when I dropped some weight a little bit ago, I lost an inch off of my waist but two inches off of my hips :/ this probably sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I'm afraid that the more weight I lose, the more my waist-to-hip ratio will shrink I don't know genetically how far away I can stray from my normal pear-shape but I'm worried to find out! So since I'm not really trying to lose any weight/size in my hip area, wouldn't squats be bad since they work out the glutes/thighs as well? I'm so extremely clueless about all of this kind of thing lol, so I'm super sorry if I got it all totally wrong here! Anyway, thank you so much for your help so far! I think I learned more from you just now about exercise than I learned from a full year of Health class
When weight loss is done haphazardly (calorie restriction without watching macronutrients), weight loss can be in the form of muscle, in which was mainly your situation. It can also be loose skin, but it sounds like it was the former. You were likely to be losing more skeletal muscle than fat then.

If you really want to learn about basic physiology, just read "Starting Strength" (find link on first post). The first chapter is MORE than enough for fundamentals.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
Issues with doing the squat, dead and bench is that you will develop muscular imbalances unless you do some other exercizes to balance it out. This is a warning because I'm having a hell of a time fixing said imbalances, and it does cause a few issues with my posture. Make sure that you do the overhead press and somesort of rowing excercize (pendlays, facepulls, cable, dumbell, barbell etc.)

Also, dedicated core work is good. In the form of planks, planches and hollow body holds. While these compounds will work your core, doing dedicated work will help you incredibly. Also, as someone who's fixing these imbalances.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Throatriptron
Tsundere

Work your obliques (the sides of your torso). Most gyms have a machine specifically for working out the obliques. There are also plenty of free YouTube tutorials on resistance training oblique exercises as well as ones you can do with free weights.

Doing situps or crunches or whatever alone will only tone the front abs muscles, for the most part, so if you don't naturally have an hourglass figure you'll end up looking more like a rectangle.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote