Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
laughingdeath
sexier than you

People ditching their shoots?

Hey, I just had a quick question for other con-going photographers.

Do you get a lot of people that just don't show up to their photoshoots?

I started scheduling shoots at cons just recently, and today not a single person has shown up to their shoot. I get to the location, text them my location and what I'm wearing, and don't get a response, I call ten minutes later and don't get an answer. So I leave and then 45 minutes later I get a text back that they couldn't make it or something else.

I mean.. the point of exchanging contact information is so that you can let the other person know if there are any problems. But they don't bother. So I just wanted to know, is this something common?
Roxas - Kingdom Hearts 2
Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children
laughingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Jenson
I Like It Raw.

I had two no shows at Ohayocon. Waited around for 10 minutes and then went about my way to do shoots for other cosplayers. While I can understand people getting side tracked or schedule changes it is still quite easy to send a text with just a "Hey, I can't make it. Sorry."

As for whether it's common practice or not I think more or less depends on the person themselves.
Jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Most of my scheduled shoots have happened on time. One got rescheduled to be done after the convention.

You have had a string of inconsiderate people. Taking deposits, usually solves that problem.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Access

It's actually quite common, cons can be rather hectic. Also a lot of hotels have pretty poor wireless coverage, so you never really know if your texts are getting through or not. If it's going to be planned beforehand, I pretty much stick with friends or people I know. If I'm at a convention and feel like I want to do an extensive shoot with someone, I'll generally just ask them then and there.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Flat-out inconsiderate. Those names would be crossed-off any future photoshoot list. With today's technology, there is no excuse aside from a medical emergency to not let the photographer (or cosplayer) know if it's going to be a no-show.

Unfortunately, some people equate "Free photo shoots" to mean "No value".
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
Unfortunately, some people equate "Free photo shoots" to mean "No value".
This hits the nail on the head.

It's a pretty common discussion on photography-on-the.net, not necessarily with cosplay shoots but with models of all types. Charging for your shoot - even a little bit - will place a value on it, and weed out some of the people that aren't serious. Taking advance deposits will all but eliminate your flakes.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Patcave

I like just bopping around, so I rarely seek out shoots. Just too old to deal with being stood up nowadays. But they can be fun, and offer good synergy for some cool collaborations between the cosplayer(s) and the photographer(s). Just have to build up a rapport with folks who'll respect you and your time (and effort and gear).
Patcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
firecloak

I've had 2/5 people not show up before. We exchanged phone numbers before, and I don't get any response, no apology, nothing.

But I do see their pictures with other photographers later >.>

It's just something that will happen when you open up shoots to everyone.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

I've attempted to schedule shoots with cosplayers that I like their work. Those rarely work out...

On the other hand, when cosplayers contact me and show initiative, they also are generally more motivated to make the shoot happen at the convention.

Maybe the next time you make a forum posting about offering shoots, add some ground rules. You might not fill up your list and will probably scare away the lazy and inconsiderate, but it will also help you find the ones that care enough to show up with their A-game (Wouldn't want to work with people who don't anyways).
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
maybemelancholy
{risa}

I've had my share of no shows ( It always comes in handy to text an hour or 30 mins before hand, so you get a good feel of if they will reliably show up to the shoot >.< Because scheduling photoshoots is a stressful process when you're working with a lot of cosplayers, so communication is key
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
AcidPhoto

I have had a few that just simply text "soz not coming" (yes, they did use 'soz'). I am aware that I'm not getting paid for this and vice versa, but a bit of maturity should step in, especially when I find out later that they went to the beach instead of going to a scheduled shoot.

/rant
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

Ive had people not shot up for shoots before...its depressing...lol sometimes I know stuff comes up and I'm fine with it but meh lol

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

This is one of the reasons I don't book shoots. I've had to deal with cosplayers who book way too many shoots back-to-back and can't get done in time, or who run off to shoot with some other photog they ran into instead of me, or whatever. Since most of my con friends are cosplayers, I see it a ton from the other side, too, and it tends to be problematic on both sides of the situation.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

The number of no shows for me typically ranges from 2-3 every con for every 20 shoots I do, so my ratios are not that lopsided, but they happen. Typically, people show up because they know that there are many other cosplayers out there who wanted a shoot with me, but couldn't since they were not fast enough using social media (my slots pretty much fill up in 1 hour after I post it), and being friends with most of them I could easily get in contact with the ones who barely missed getting shoot times if there are no-shows.

If you put it in a half glass full scenario, a no show makes someone else's con better since you can devote your time to another shoot or do hallway shots that you probably may have missed when doing this no-show shoot.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
If you put it in a half glass full scenario, a no show makes someone else's con better since you can devote your time to another shoot or do hallway shots that you probably may have missed when doing this no-show shoot.
This is so true. Every time a shoot fails to show up for me, I try to find the best hall cosplay around.

(Or maybe go get something to eat, heh.)

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote