Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
ZeroCosplay

Anyone go to a Masquerade Ball?

Just wondering if anyone has been to a masquerade ball. Is it worth going to? Was it fun?
ZeroCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've gone to both kinds. Con masques are wicked fun and definitely worth attending. It's the main attraction, I think. The seating lines can be a killer though.

Masquerade ball, like a fancy dance event where people wear masks, are only fun if you make it fun. Otherwise you just feel like a dork with a piece of plastic on your face. You have to get up and dance, or find a few people to talk to, or locate someone patient enough to teach you how to waltz. Basically the same as a prom, but with masks. Chances are the people attending will have a flair for whimsy, like my gathering was, so the average cosplayer wouldn't find themselves horribly out of place.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Only to a Con Masquerade, which is really a Skit Show.

It really depends on the skits each entrant has planned. For example, Anime Vegas's Masquerade for 2012 was BRILLIANT. There were so, so many good skits, it was easily worth the line. However, 2013's line got twice as long, and the skits seemed to have gotten twice as bad.. so imo, it wasn't worth waiting that year.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
uzuki54

Went to Anime North's Moonlight Ball couple years ago, and in my opinion, it really depends on the kind of person you are/situation you're in. If you're going alone but are outgoing, good at making friends, then you may be able to enjoy yourself. Someone who's shy however, and is by themselves, might not have much fun. If you're going with friends, then you are likely to be able to enjoy the ball.

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Geek-kon also holds a Masked Ball and I only popped in for a little bit because I know it's something I don't enjoy. Even though theirs is well done with proper ballroom music and dancing, I'm just not into that. I don't like formal dancing.

If it's the kind of "masquerade ball" in name only, where you wear masks and there is music but it's more or less a nerd prom, count me right out. That's even worse to me than a ball that takes the ball part seriously, with waltzes and led dances and even live chamber music and dainty nibbles from catering. But balls aren't my thing and even just half an hour in there made me realize that standing around chatting with people while in costume wearing a mask was not the sort of thing I personally enjoy. Other people, though, may really love that. And I suggest that if you REALLY love ballroom dancing and have the luck of being able to attend a ball with proper music and dancing in addition to the formalwear + mask dress code, patronize it and enjoy the hell out of it so the organizers continue to have them.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote