Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
why_00
Emileigh

Kyoko's Jacket

I want to make Kyoko's jacket from Madoka Magica, however I'm having a tough time finding a pattern that would be easy enough to alter. The only one that is even relatively close is this one >>Here<< The good thing about this one is that it has the collar I'm looking for, it is button down, and is lined. However I'd have to do a lot of alteration to the shoulder area.

Here is a reference image: Kyoko

Does any one know of a pattern that would be a better fit or is this a good pattern to go off of?
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Nvm
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 02-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
why_00
Emileigh

That's not at all the outfit I want to make. Did you even look at the reference I put on there? If I was making her plain clothes I wouldn't have even come here for help... Also I do not like buying cosplay costumes, so that is out.

I'm making her magical girl outfit. I'm having trouble finding a pattern similar to the long red jacket that she wears.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh I'm sorry, I was using my phone.

For that one you can still use the pattern you linked. It's very close. You would obviously be altering it though. You would need to make it longer (which is the easy part) then figuring out how much is the white ruffle and how much is the red coat. I believe you would have to do all the ruffling yourself, which will be a pain. Then you have to alter the collar and upper chest area, I would take what they have and cut a triangle out of both fronts and have them end at the base of the collar, then use a hook/eye to close that, you will have that gem hanging from it so it needs something to clip to, making the hook/eye have another use. After that you sould cut a strip the length and width of the collar (x2) put interfacing in it, and sew it up, then use the correct color bias tape and fabric glue it around the edges.

I think the button up is a better way to go anyway, as she HAS button on her coat..It just doesn't look like it has separate parts because, well, it's a cartoon lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
why_00
Emileigh

Alright, I just wanted confirmation on if that pattern was a good one to use or not. the last costume I made, I made a bad pattern choice and I ended up redrafting the entire thing by myself, which was a headache and a half. I want to start with something that won't be that difficult this time around. If there was an easier pattern to use I'd love to know about it. But I'm glad someone else thinks that the pattern I found is pretty close as well.

Thanks.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I also concur that the pattern you have in mind will work fine. The alterations you need to do are very easy. Just make sure that the base pattern (without the sleeves) actually fits you properly before you bother with the style alterations.

I don't agree with some of the construction suggestions given, though. Why use fabric glue to attach bias tape when you can sew it like everything else?

You will want to interface that cut-out on the chest to make sure it doesn't ripple or flex too much.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
I don't agree with some of the construction suggestions given, though. Why use fabric glue to attach bias tape when you can sew it like everything else?
I say thi9s because I have already done it on a stand up collar (pretty close to that one) and it looks amazing, it just makes it more clean looking with no stitch lines..They can do whatever they want, I was only suggesting something that I know works
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
I say thi9s because I have already done it on a stand up collar (pretty close to that one) and it looks amazing, it just makes it more clean looking with no stitch lines..They can do whatever they want, I was only suggesting something that I know works
Just FYI, it can be done just as cleanly with sewing (if not better, because of no messy glue), and still not have any visible stitching. It will also last longer, because fabric glue tends to not be very permanent. Look up "stitch in the ditch" or "ditch sewing". It takes a little practice, but it's a very effective sewing technique. (It's also easier to do if you have a special kind of sewing foot, usually called a "stitch in the ditch foot", "edge join foot", or "ditch quilting foot".)

Unread 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Just FYI, it can be done just as cleanly with sewing (if not better, because of no messy glue), and still not have any visible stitching. It will also last longer, because fabric glue tends to not be very permanent. Look up "stitch in the ditch" or "ditch sewing". It takes a little practice, but it's a very effective sewing technique. (It's also easier to do if you have a special kind of sewing foot, usually called a "stitch in the ditch foot", "edge join foot", or "ditch quilting foot".)
Really? I thought you had to masically sew it on and have a vvisable seam. I will look that up though thanks
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
why_00
Emileigh

Thanks for the confirmation Evil Bishounen.
I'll definitely be making a mock up of the jacket so I can test the fit and other things. I already have ideas on how I want to construct the collar area. I was thinking about putting both interfacing and boning in to help it keep it's shape, the boning being attached to the lining instead of the outer fabric. It's going to be an all sewn garment as I want this to be a really nice piece that will last for a long time. I definitely wouldn't use fabric glue to put the bias tape on. That sounds way too messy and not as forgiving if I make a mistake plus it's not as durable. Thanks for the advice though, guys!
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Most people just sandwich the raw edges of their garment in the bias tape and sew straight through all the layers. SO MANY tutorials do novices sewers a major disservice by claiming this is the "right" way to put on bias tape. It works, but I wouldn't call it "right." This method is easy, and fast, but does not look particularly attractive, and essentially wastes much of the functionality of the bias tape.

If double-fold bias tape is put on correctly, no stitches are ever visible. Double fold bias tape has three folds in it - a center fold, and two folds on either side where the edges are folded in to the center line. One of these folds is very slightly offset, so that when the bias tape is all folded up, one-half is slightly wider than the other.

1. Take note of which half of the bias tape is wider. Open this side of the bias tape up so you are looking at the inside of the folds.

2. Working on the front of your garment (outside surface), align the raw edge of this half of the bias tape with the raw edge of the right side of your garment, and pin in place.

3. Sew on the bias tape - you will be sewing through only ONE layer of the bias tape, and underneath that, will be the front of your garment, followed by whatever interfacing/lining layers are beneath that. Your stitches should be ever-so-slightly on the raw-edge side of the bias tape fold.

4. Once this half of the bias tape has been sewn in place, allow it to refold itself along the fold you just sewed next to. The center fold of the bias tape will naturally fold directly over the raw edges of your garment, and the other (narrower) half of the bias tape will now be on the backside (or interior) of the garment.

5. Using a needle and thread, HAND SEW the narrow half of the bias tape in place by using small stitches to tack the fold to the machine-sewn seam made in step 3.

When you are done, the bias tape will be securely in place, all garment raw edges will be covered, and the seams used to do it will be completely hidden.

I don't have the time to do it right now, but when I get back from vacation, I can add some pictures to better illustrate the process.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
why_00
Emileigh

Thanks for the bias tape information, Syagria! I've seen many tutorials on how to put bias tape on, but not one of them told me to hand sew the other edge on. It sounds tedious to do it all by hand, but the benefit of having no stitching showing on it is very appealing. I'll have to try it out on some scrap fabric first so i can get the hang of it. I assume that I would use a blind stitch like you would for closing up a pillow?
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Penlowe

Quote:
It sounds tedious to do it all by hand
Not as much as you might think. Sewing bias tape is one of the easiest hand sewing tasks there is, and if you get comfy on the couch with a good movie you may very well finish the movie and the garment at the same time.
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
why_00
Emileigh

Alright, I have another question. What kind of shirt do you guys think her undershirt is? It doesn't look like it has even straps of any kind. I'm kind of debating just making a mock shirt and sewing it to the lining? I really don't want to, but I'm not understanding how her undershirt even exists.
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Are you referring to the black thing sticking out from under the coat?

I could see that having a low v-neck and having straps that fasten across the back of her neck or criss-crossing behind her shoulders.

Or it could be kinda like a girdle, or an overskirt piece with a high waist.