Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Fudoo
Often lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotarou View Post
That whole BBYO situation was annoying, but my main problem was a personal problem, which was that I was cosplaying alone (I went with friends that also cosplayed, but didn't have a cosplay group or partner). So would I go again? Maybe I would go again if my friends go or if I have a group or partner to cosplay with.

Like Kiro, my next cons which I'm definitely going to are Anime Boston, AnimeNEXT, Anime Expo, and Otakon. Tekkoshocon was originally in my list, but as of now, it looks like I'm not going.
Id totally Cosplay with you ^.^ The one friend I go with doesn't really cosplay so Im always looking for someone to hang out with and maybe get some shots with.
Katsu is a good time, regardless of issues. I'll go as long as I'm in the area.

As for Animazement vs. Anime Boston, if I had to go to one or the other, I'd go to neither and go to Fanime instead. B] Unless I get into Nashicon's AA by some miracle, Fanime is my next con.

Quote:
Katsu is a good time, regardless of issues. I'll go as long as I'm in the area.

As for Animazement vs. Anime Boston, if I had to go to one or the other, I'd go to neither and go to Fanime instead. B] Unless I get into Nashicon's AA by some miracle, Fanime is my next con.

Anime Boston and Animazement are completely different con experiences. AB is in a really...unfortunate-looking convention center with bad acoustics. I have never encountered as many of the annoying "butt scratcher/marco polo" type people as I have at AB, so there's a lot of general rowdiness that goes on. Animazement is a much smaller con by comparison. Raleigh is a nice city, but it's not as city-like as Boston.
Im not sure which yet. Im happy with any con where I can get along with people, Make friends, and use terrible pickup lines on people for fun. I couldn't go to Fanime for it is across the country
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
onsenmark
ONORE DIKEIDO.

I still plan on going next year.

Usual con retinue: Katsucon, Otakon, Nekocon.
onsenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
ThatDragonGal
Sorry for party rockin'.

I plan on going next year as far as meeting with friends and cosplaying since I live so close. I'm seriously considering not buying a badge though. I don't feel like giving the Gaylord any more of my money for allowing that other group to block Katsucon, regardless of their reasons. Katsucon, and therefore it's attendees, paid to be in the Gaylord too. The Gaylord had no right to let the other group block off public spaces for themselves.
ThatDragonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
mo721
Many characters all in 1

Im from Michigan and I attended the mid-west cons, so next con will be Acen and then Colossalcon. This was my first year attending Katsu and was very excited, but despite the double booking of cons. I didnt find it that bad or irritating as some people did, and I think I will attend again next year if I get the chance.
Sesshomaru-Inuyasha
Belle-Beauty and the Beast

Acen 2013
To be Decided
Colossalcon 2013
To be Decided
mo721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
SailorAndromeda
is eating your cake.

This was our first Katsu at the Gaylord, which is beautiful. Sure, it was a hassle with the BBYO stuff going on (blocking public thoroughfares, really?), but we still had a good time. I'm not sure if/when we'll return to Katsu, but it's a $$ and "winter-makes-us-all-sick" thing. $500 for two nights and parking is a lot. My son was sick 2/3 of the con (poor guy). These aren't Katsu's fault though, lol. I really did enjoy it though. If money is no issue, I would probably return. My next con for sure is Otakon, possibly Zenkai or ANEXT for a day, we'll see!
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
Kaliban

BByo will not be there next year from what I understand
Kaliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
xsnowyxbunnyx

I've been attending katsucon for five years now and I remember the first year it was in the gaylord. there were 3 or 4 conventions happening at once! there were problems with that and I didnt have any issues. I've heard the rumors of what was happening with the BBYO people but this won't defer me. I had a lot of the kids come up to me and tell me that my costume was awesome! Parents even came up and asked for pictures.
What upset me was hearing that katsucon attendees were saying anti-semitic remarks to the children. Being jewish myself I found this completely unacceptable. I really thought that people attending katsucon would be more accepting of people and would keep their words to themselves.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
musepoetique
Tuturu~

This was my first Katsucon and I absolutely loved it so yes I will be coming back.

The hotel was gorgeous and the cosplayers were equally as gorgeous.
musepoetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
musepoetique
Tuturu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliban View Post
BByo will not be there next year from what I understand
They have their convention at a different city every year.
musepoetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
RaiinFaiiry
Sakura absorbed my life

I all always return to Katsucon. They have the best staff and it is a really nice con. This year was just a little over the top because of BBYO. But that is no reason not to come back. I will never not come to Katsu as long as it is in the same venue.

And My next con is Otakon. Can't wait!

Cosplays

In-between Jack Frost
Hanji Zoe
Petra Ral
Morgianna
Robin!Ciel
Sion --- No. 6
RaiinFaiiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

My next cons are going to be Boston Comic Con, PAX East and Otakon. Next large con will be Otakon
I can't go to AB this year because I am moving during that weekend :P

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Fudoo
Often lost

I didn't personally have to many bad experiences and the one I did have was way over the top. A girl I knew was called many names and had things thrown at her and she broke down and started crying. It started a huge thing fistfights, Debates etc.
I also saw a girl get slammed to the ground by some other kid while he was yelling "STUPID WIGS." and pulled her down by her hair which was real.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
Taisa_Azudragon
Roleplaying Geek

The Pros outweighed the Cons, and it was my first time at Katsucon. I didn't get into much issue with the BBYO personally, so a little group that may not even be there next year isn't going to stop me from going again. Hopefully Katsucon will still be at the Gaylord Hotel.

Oh yea, my next cons are gonna be closer to home, Megacon and Metrocon.

Cons in 2014:
Katsucon
Megacon
Metrocon
Otakon
Anime Weekend Atlanta

Costumes for 2014:
Apollo Justice | Ace Attorney | 100%
Shinji Ikari | Neon Genesis Evangelion | 100%
Leia Rolando | Tales of Xillia | 100% (Xillia 1), 15% (Xillia 2)
Jiland/Gilland | Tales of Xillia | 90%
Julius Will Kresnik | Tales of Xillia 2 | 100%
Clive | Professor Layton | 0%
Taisa_Azudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
Ghai

We'll be back, we've had too good of a time before to let this ruin it for us. Our main problem with BBYO was them refusing to let us use the hallway on Sunday, and having to deal with the aggressive shouting that we couldn't go past said area. Our overall experience was sour, but a lot of that was from being ill prepared, and not sacrificing enough time to wait in line for things we wanted to see =\

But, promised my brother's they could come next year! AMA looks to be the next con on the list. Can never seem to skip that one lol.
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #30
BlazeofWar60
lolz

This was my first year at Katsu and it was a BLAST! XD It was by far my best con experience and I'm strongly inclined to return for next year.

My next con will be in less than a week, just a small local con in the area. My next big con will be MTAC 13.

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote