Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #31
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

BBYO was actually pretty cool with us from what I saw, they let us have the choice cosplay group photo places like the Gazebo and behind the fountains. I will be coming back next year but NOT with the room situation I was in, which is of course a whole NOTHER story

Otakon 2013:

Tier Harribel (Sealed POSSIBLE RELEASED!): Bleach
Zoisite (Sailor Moon)
Myotismon (Digimon Adventure)
The Earl of Lemongrab: Adventure Time (Time Permitting)
TV's Frank: MST3K (Time and Panal Permitting)
Schuldig: Weiss Kruez
Lt. Surge: Pokemon

Magfest 2014:

Al Mualim
WARIO!! WAH! HA! HA!
Sabin Rene Figaro (possible Amano Version)
Debitto_of_Bond is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #32
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Definitely coming back next year! Photography was awesome, as always.
Next USA con for me is Colossalcon!!!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #33
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

I may go to AUSA, but I had such an awful time at Katsu that I'm not sure if conventions are for me anymore.
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
EnigmaSphinx

To be honest, I didn't really care that there was another convention going on at the same time as Katsucon. I didn't have any problems with the kids involved in the other con. Some people told me they were made fun of because they were in costume which, in my opinion, is incredibly rude but the kids involved in the other convention were teenagers. of course they were going to be a bit more immature! I actually had a few kids from the other convention compliment me. If I have the ability to (because I'm moving), I'll be going to Katsu again next year!
EnigmaSphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Nope. Did Katsucon for a decade, but this was my last one. Seeing how MAGfest is at the same locale, a month earlier, has cheaper room rates and quite frankly, better ran AND more relevant to my interests, I'm done w/ Katsu and anime cons.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #36
Arlette
Let it Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Nope. Did Katsucon for a decade, but this was my last one. Seeing how MAGfest is at the same locale, a month earlier, has cheaper room rates and quite frankly, better ran AND more relevant to my interests, I'm done w/ Katsu and anime cons.
What Chris said.

Not only that, but Katsucon has absolutely NO content to warrant the outrageous price of admission. I could have bought a Dragon*Con badge a year ahead of time for $65 and had programming, guests and content coming out of my ass for the same price as Katsucon. No thanks.

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
youngnozomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post
I won't be going to a con before Setsucon 2014 because I'm having a baby this spring.
Congratulations!

I go to Otakon and Anime USA as well as Katsucon. I will probably still go to Katsucon but will most likely stay at the Residence Inn Marriott instead. The rooms are bigger and cheaper. I don't mind walking across the street. However, depending on my cosplay I might stay at the Gaylord so I don't have to walk in a difficult outfit.

I had a few negative run ins with the other convention. But nothing bad enough to complain about. I know others who were not so lucky. However Katsucon usually is a nice convention and I don't want to end my time there on a sour note. So, yes I will be back next year in order to have a better Katsucon.
Leo-Pandora Hearts on Saturday
Either Leo or Medusa again on Sunday
Cosplays I want to try:
Dee or Dum from Alice in the Country of Hearts
Gumi (Not sure of the song)
Dist the Rose from Tales of the Abyss
Cosplays I want to redo:
Alice from Tales of Sympohonia 2
Yukimura Sanada from Gate 7
youngnozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #38
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
What Chris said.

Not only that, but Katsucon has absolutely NO content to warrant the outrageous price of admission. I could have bought a Dragon*Con badge a year ahead of time for $65 and had programming, guests and content coming out of my ass for the same price as Katsucon. No thanks.
At this point, we're paying for the Venue and the WCS, both who are probably charging the con an insane amount of money to host it. The cost is being passed down to us, which is insane.

For reference, I think I paid $40 for my MAGfest badge and it was a 4 day pass, and I had stuff to do, and less of a crowd to deal with. And no last minute "suprises".

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #39
Muffinyness3
lives for weird stares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMade View Post
I'll always attend Katsu as long as the price and the location are within reason. It was my frist con, and one rough experience is no reason to drop the con.
This. Hopefully next year will be better.

I love you and you get a prize!
CLICK ME!
Muffinyness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
girlswithcomics

My next con is likely a comic show in NYC in March. While I normally do comic cons now, I still have a soft spot for Katsu and Ota.

I'll be back next year. I'll probably get a room at the Aloft hotel down the street since it is cheaper and I don't want to deal with being at the con hotel.
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I plan on attending Katsu for the first time next year - despite the ups and downs I've been hearing about this year, it has been on my list of conventions I have wanted to attend for a long time now. My next con this year will probably be Animazement, maybe MegaCon for a day.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlswithcomics View Post
My next con is likely a comic show in NYC in March. While I normally do comic cons now, I still have a soft spot for Katsu and Ota.

I'll be back next year. I'll probably get a room at the Aloft hotel down the street since it is cheaper and I don't want to deal with being at the con hotel.
There's a comic show in NYC next month?! Discuss please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
I plan on attending Katsu for the first time next year - despite the ups and downs I've been hearing about this year, it has been on my list of conventions I have wanted to attend for a long time now. My next con this year will probably be Animazement, maybe MegaCon for a day.
I would honestly keep an eye on Katsucon throughout the next year. Both the Gaylord's owners and the con dropped the ball pretty hard this year, and it may be a sign the con may be in a little trouble.

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #43
girlswithcomics

Quote:
There's a comic show in NYC next month?! Discuss please!

I would honestly keep an eye on Katsucon throughout the next year. Both the Gaylord's owners and the con dropped the ball pretty hard this year, and it may be a sign the con may be in a little trouble.
Sorry, it's actually in April. The Comic Book Marketplace and Show. April 13th at the Penn Plaza. I've been going the past few years. It's a great con to make deals on books at (I buy and sell comic books as a part time gig, and this is a great show to do so at). I even met Jerry Robinson there before he passed away. http://comicsbeat.com/new-york-comic...urns-in-april/

There is a show in March though: Asburry Park Comic Con in Jersey. I went last year and *loved* it. It is small, but it was fun!
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlswithcomics View Post
Sorry, it's actually in April. The Comic Book Marketplace and Show. April 13th at the Penn Plaza. I've been going the past few years. It's a great con to make deals on books at (I buy and sell comic books as a part time gig, and this is a great show to do so at). I even met Jerry Robinson there before he passed away. http://comicsbeat.com/new-york-comic...urns-in-april/

There is a show in March though: Asburry Park Comic Con in Jersey. I went last year and *loved* it. It is small, but it was fun!
Huh. That actually sounds kind of cool. Is it a cosplay heavy show, or not really? Because TBH, if it's not, that's not a bad thing, I can easily have a good time without being dressed as a super hero.

And that Asbury thing does sound cool, but it's conflicting with some stuff I have to do. I also have PAX that month!

Unread 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #45
girlswithcomics

Quote:
Huh. That actually sounds kind of cool. Is it a cosplay heavy show, or not really? Because TBH, if it's not, that's not a bad thing, I can easily have a good time without being dressed as a super hero.

And that Asbury thing does sound cool, but it's conflicting with some stuff I have to do. I also have PAX that month!
I have seen cosplayers at CBM, and I've heard they have a cosplay contest. It's not on the level of an anime con or even NYCC but they are there. Would I cosplay here? No.

The Asburry con conflicts directly with a zombie thing I'm doing that day in Baltimore. So many events, so little time.