Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

Formal Ball

Personally, I enjoyed myself.

I thought the lessons were done quite well. The instructors weren't all stiff and military-esque, and showed that they had a sense of humor just like an ordinary human being. I learned quite a bit, and didn't let the fact that there was a horrible ratio deter me from enjoying the workshop ( I went in there knowing full well it would happen, as did everyone else probably ) There is a limited time frame for things like this. I can understand if the workshop was 3 hours and being mad about only learning one dance. But it was only an hour. Would it really have made sense to mixed in a million different styles to further confuse those, especially the inexperienced?

The ball started off awkward for me, because none of my friends went, and I am REALLY awkward with asking people to dance because of a high fear of rejection ( asked a girl who had a bf to dance ) However, quite a few girls danced with me, and if they have an account here ( I had the butterfly headphones ) I would sincerely like to thank you for putting up with my newb status ( although like I explained, I spent an hour learning how to be the follower ) I DEFINETLY appreciated Sing Sing Sing being played. Yes it's not a ball-esque song to be played, but it got a lot of people to dance didn't it? I got to jive with a girl and it was EXTREMELY fun. I could go on forever about a few other songs I liked but I won't. Yes there were some undanceable songs and such, but if you're gunna complain, then become a dj, or don't attend at all. My only complaint would be the final song. Last Dance by Donna Summers or Time of My Life ( with like a line or something going ) would've been a nice touch. Opa Gangnam style is REALLY played out, and as staff would discover, things can get out of hand pretty easily ( be glad it wasn't the harlem shake )

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Kiro

I intended on going to the dance lessons, but as I watched people line up for it, there appeared to be significantly more guys than girls and I did not want to be paired up with another guy.

I did stop by the formal ball for a bit. There were quite a few people sitting it out like I was, and it probably would have been a good idea to approach someone and ask if they'd like to join me... but I chickened out.

I think it's time for me to just sign up for lessons. It's stupid for me to be afraid of the dance floor. Have the Cosplay Masquerade Ball in June and whatever dances that come up during conventions that I've actively avoided in the past.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Mr. S

I had a bunch of fun, met a bunch of cool people. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get everyone's info. I was Ronald Knox if you met me there, please drop me a message.
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
ScribblesITM
Just Call me Alex

I loved the ball. My friend from England got to dance with TWO doctors and I met some wonderful people -- and I even got a chance to dance some.

I didn't recognize the music, but my friends recognized almost all of it.

The water issue was the only problem I had with the formal, thank you to Nate and his friends for giving my friends and I an arm down to someplace to sit and re-hydrate afterwards. A formal does bring out the gentlemen.

My entire cosplay this year was designed for the ball, and it truly has become one of my favorite parts.

This was my 4th formal ball and the best of them all so far.

~Alex
dressed as Wedding Dress Rarity

Planned Cons:[/u]
Anime USA 2014, katsucon 2015, Regeneration WHO 2015

Cosplays
Rin - Naruto (done)
FMA uniform (done)
Rarity - MLP (99% done)
Team Magma - Pokemon (Done)
Tasha Lem - Doctor Who (reworking 70% done)
Lucy Saxon - Doctor Who (20% done)
ScribblesITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

Shadow Yukiko checking in!

I really had fun at this ballroom dance - it was the most fun I had at a ballroom dance in a while. This is coming from someone who used to do lessons at the AX ballroom dance and been a long time patron of the Fanime Black and White ball. I liked that the atmosphere was very mellow. I liked the music selection - nice mix of mellow anime and video game music. I do like throwbacks such as "Fly Me to the Moon." I don't mind swing / big band at ballroom dances, but as long as they're not the main music played (ie: Fanime's ball last year).

This was the first time I've gone to a ballroom dance solo - I went with my hotelmates. I think I should go as Lady Oscar next year!
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
simpbass

Kimblee here,
I went this year and it was definitely fun. I had a few dances with different people and then danced with some friends as well.
Only downside was that some people thought I was MJ. >__<

Otaku Tosshi (Gintama)
NB Mikisugi (KLK)
Samurai! Sanageyama (KLK)
Makoto(Free)
Lancer (Fate/Zero)
Lie Ren (RWBY)
Mysterious Mare Do Well (MLP FiM)

These are maybes:
Kimblee: FMA Brotherhood
beat up Byakuya: Bleach

P.S. I might skip out on some of these if I feel lazy that day =P