Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
MrRosencrantz

Koffing (Pokemon) Prop

Hello! I am a new cosplayer having just been to my first Con in 2012. I went as a "Team Rocket Special Forces" member -- basically TR with a more violent flair. For this year, I was hoping to update it by building a Koffing prop but I am the least craft-y person I know. I've never really built any props before, so any help would be appreciated.

I've decided that a foam ball for the base wouldn't work. The texture wouldn't be quite right. Also, I thought about fabric but I feel the appearance would be too fabric-y and I was hoping for a more smooth look in the end (minus the pock marks and craters).

So basically, my biggest questions would be what to use for a base and what would be a good idea to make the craters/pock marks on the surface of the character?

Once again, thanks for any help. I'll include some links to reference pictures.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/th...109Koffing.png

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/w...4e88a72766.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/...bdabd0a1ae.jpg
MrRosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I remember watching the show and Koffing is pretty large, like I'm thinking wider than a human's shoulders. My main concern would be keeping the weight down to be honest.

I would carve the whole thing out of foam then reinforce it with either plaster tape +resin or the more traditional resin + fiberglass mat. The only reason I suggest plaster tape method is because for some reason I remember it being lighter, but I have a feeling that they're about the same in weight and fiberglass mat is stronger.

As for the craters you could either foam carve it (recommended) then texturize it with clay. Typically I use apoxie sculpt, but to keep the weight down I think resorting to model magic would be a good idea.

I have some writeups on the foam carve method of prop building.
http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...nime-expo.html

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...nime-2011.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
MrRosencrantz

Thanks for the great advice! And you're right, Koffing is about 2' tall, and I imagine just as wide. I found this for size comparison:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...zyzho1_500.gif

Do you think it would be wise to go for the full size (2'), or would it be smarter to cut it down to 1' or 1.5'? I haven't had to carry a large prop around a con, so I suppose what I'm asking is there a great amount of fatigue/annoyance when you know you have to carry around such a large item with you all day?
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Awesome! Wow I feel like a Pokemon master after seeing that GIF. He really is as wide as a person shoulder to shoulder.

Short answer to the large prop thing is yes. I mean imagine carrying a 2 ft diameter sphere with you all day (I think those yoga ball things are just barely larger than that). That would get pretty tedious, but personally I always favor accuracy over comfort.

Pain is temporary, cosplay pictures are....almost forever hahaha. You get the idea though right?

That being said as a matter of aesthetics having a chibi Koffing riding on your shoulder would look pretty cute and add a dynamic flare to your costume. Kind of like this picture.

In the end though it's a matter of your own personal aesthetics, but if you're going to do it full size, you might as well do it full size.

Facebook
Deviantart
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
MrRosencrantz

Thanks again! I think I've decided to scale down because in the off-chance I can manage it, I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggested and finding some way to build a harnass that would keep the Koffing "floating" over my shoulder. That's phase 2 though and I figure I'll cross that road when I get there.

I've tried to do some research, looking at your advice and looking at how other people make props because this is literally the first time I'll be making anything and I know nada about this world of creating. Basically, I'm a super newb. Does this sound like a sound strategy?

1. Rather than create a foam ball, I was going to purchase an orb from this site. http://www.shapeinnovation.com/products They only have 13'' 1/2 lb EPS spheres, or I can go with a 12'' 1 lb EPS sphere. I'm not sure if the 1/2 pound of weight would be that much of a difference, so considering just going with the 1 lb sphere.

2. Elevate the foam sphere by placing some kind of needle in the bottom and coat it in a fiberglass resin. Let it dry. Question about this -- I have never worked with resin before. Is it going to be black? If so, to get the color of the Koffing, should I apply a white paint afterwards first or do you think painting on top of the dark color will still get the color I'm looking to achieve?

3. To achieve the volcano-like protrusions, I was going to cut plastic cups in half and gorilla glue them to the surface. I was then going to use model magic to surround the cups, and "dip" into the opening at the top to create that crater effect. The cup would be just to aid in giving the shape, making them more uniform, and providing some sort of infrastructure.

4. Paint the sphere using purple, black, and maybe a darker purple to use for highlights to create depth in some area. Would spray paint be the best method? I've read about several different kinds of paints and I'm still confused as to what's best.

4. I am going to be making a more menacing Koffing, somewhat based upon this image: http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/w...4e88a72766.jpg

So I'm thinking about using the model magic to form the brow ridges and lips/teeth. Wait for it to harden, then handpaint the pieces using the same paint for the rest of the Koffing (whichever type you suggested I use).

I've sketched it all out and did some scaling of dimensions. Next step will be the actual building if these steps sound right to you.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

dont use model magic! it cracks like no other!
if u can use apoxie sculpt or paper clay
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
dont use model magic! it cracks like no other!
if u can use apoxie sculpt or paper clay
Yeah that's EXACTLY why I don't use it either, but in this case weight is a big issue and apoxie is very heavy comparatively. Additionally the cracking effect should play in well with Koffing's texture imo.

Wow man you have some great insight! Yeah all of that sounds really outstanding and I really should commend you for your planning since that all sounds like a safe and feasible strategy.

Just have one thing and fiberglassing open cell foam is typically a big no no, but this site says they're closed cell. In any case I suggest getting the small spheres as testers and see if the resin eats them (says 1" is $0.28). If it does don't panic you can always coat them in masking tape then fiberglass away over that.

Alternatives for a less durable finish is to use Plasti Dip spray on the sphere if you're feeling a quicker sort of build time.

But yeah sounds all good to me man! Good luck to you!

Facebook
Deviantart
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
MrRosencrantz

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm going to consider using the apoxie sculpt or paper clay. I may buy the model magic and give it a test run on a smaller scale to see how it turns out (and also to get a feel for the difference in weight). If I have any questions along the way, I'll post it here. All the help has been incredibly appreciated.