Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
It's pretty impossible to look JUST like an anime character, especially without makeup and wigs.
This.

But I've been told many times when I cosplay Jūshirō Ukitake from Bleach that I look like him a lot. This is also the only cosplay so far in which I've noticed I look more like the character without eye make-up than with. That is super rare for me lol.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
Asezuna

Sango. (If we put the whole asian-not asian argument aside.) Rather, the twelwe/thirteen years old version of her. :P
And I look a lot like a female Sam Winchester. Except for the eyes. (Albeit I've never cosplayed as him. It's only a "maybe" thing.)
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I had to wear a wig but I got an EXTREMELY positive reaction to my Once-ler test (and admittedly I haven't finished it yet... but seriously, a swarm of people on both dA and Tumblr were convinced that I was the Once-ler ahaha) and I guess I can sorta see it?? I sorta have the face shape/features and I have the right eye colour and the freckles too, I can manage his smile too apparently.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3191833/

I don't look 100% like him all of the time but I'm pretty good at sorta knowing my angles/how to hold my face depending on who I'm cosplaying? I guess it could be said that I'm sorta versatile in that aspect.

Of course nobody can look 100% like a simplified cartoon/anime drawing but since people tend to have their headcanons for what kind of face certain characters would have when it's not specific, I've also been told plenty of times that I'm peoples headcanon for --- cosplay and it's always flattering.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 02-19-2013 at 12:00 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Homura. Because I'm short and have a round face and generally look a lot like a 13 year old.

Also, if I cut my bangs straight across, we basically have the same hairstyle too.

I also have an obsessive, stalking, archiving, researching, overambitious (sometimes...) personality.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
harmonyisarine

For my first cosplay, I wanted to do the foaming mouth guy from A:tLA. Nooooo, my friends insisted. No, you must be Katara, you look so Water Tribe!

And so I cosplayed Katara, and later Korra.

I'm at the lighter side of Water Tribe skin, usually, but I got the dark Mediterranean Italian skin from my dad's side, with very blue eyes from my mom. Round face and brown hair? Check and check.

That said, I do usually end up dyeing my hair. I have a habit of living in the sun during the warmer months, which bleaches it from a darker brown to a lighter brown. Seeing as I only go to a con in the middle of the summer, I'm usually well on my way to blonde. I look better with dark brown hair, though, and you can hardly even see the difference when it starts to grow out.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
Unaki

I am a little shorter but I do Date Masamune from Sengoku Basara a lot and other than being short I am like him in terms of build. It gets even better when I take my wig off and they see my black hair and freak out because they think my wig is my hair.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
mustardwater

Ramona flowers- same haircut, similar body type to how she it draw by Bryan Lee O'Malley.
It's really fun to cosplay someone who looks similar to oneself, especially when it's from a series you love.
mustardwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
hippiewriter
Socks.

My hair reaches my knees and has way too much volume, so it's almost impossible to get it all under a wig. That basically restricts me to picking characters with long blonde hair, even though my hair isn't quite what I'd call "anime blonde." Next on my list is going to be Legolas and Eowyn from Lotr because their hair color is more natural-looking, even if it's kind of short.

2013 Conventions/Events:
ALA (Artist Alley, Rum Party Staff)
Condor (Dealer's Hall)
Anime Conji (Artist Alley)
Escondido Ren Faire (Volunteer)
Gaslight Gathering (Guest Panelist?)
San Diego Comic Con (Attendee)
San Diego Pirate Faire (Volunteer)
Conjecture/Conchord (Dealer's Hall?)
hippiewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
OliverExorcist
Captain Teemo on Duty!!

I used to be told that I looked like L Lawliet from Death Note. But, haircuts happen, and I lost those comments. xD

America/Alfred F. Jones SELLING!!!
Frostfire Annie
Prussia(War of the Austrian Succession)SELLING!!!

Next Con: Animazement!
Saturday: Female Frosted Ezreal!!, & Sunday: Ezreal, Blitzcrank, or Frostfire Annie or Fem!Blitzcrank

Work in Progress!:
Glaceon
Espurr
Team Magma Member
Miss Fortune Mafia Ver.
Fem!Handsome Jack
Fem!Ezreal
Fem!Debonair Jayce
Tiny Tina
Super Teemo
OliverExorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
CosplayPandah

Orihara Izaya from Durarara (even though I'm not Japanese)
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Better than me then- I cosplay him but I'm short with very round cheeks and a big nose, so I think I look nothing like him.
People still tell me I make an awesome Izaya though, so I suppose that's proof you don't need to look exactly like the character.

For cosplay photos please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #27
mentokjebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
I was curious if anyone decided to cosplay a character simply because you looked like him/her naturally, that is without using any hair dye, wigs, makeup, and hair gel.
Just about every character with black hair that I costume as...

Certain character patterns make it very easy to pick your next cosplay.

I think it's some sort of rule that everyone that cosplays Roy Mustang also cosplays Zuko and Mako and every Katara moves on to do Korra
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
Sticks
First Sergeant Melchiott

I typically stick to characters with whom I share similar body type, facial structure and sometimes even hair and eye color. I'll wear wigs and contacts, but only if it adds to the overall effect.

I'm very particular with who I choose to cosplay because I'm a firm believer that the best cosplay comes about when you've got certain advantages going for you.
Not to mention I always feel more confident about my ability to pull a character off when I take time and care to do this too.

I've had people come up to me at cons before telling me that I look exactly like my character that I'm cosplaying, and it always makes me feel so happy. As I've grown as a cosplayer I've done many different types of characters, and am still enjoying the challenges of embracing harder projects, while still keeping my cosplay philosophy in check.

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2014 Conventions:
AnimeBoston (tentative)
Momocon
Dragon*Con
AWA
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

There's not a character that I look like without using makeup or wigs. Without makeup I'm a buttface, and while there are plenty of blonde characters with short hair, very few of these are dirty blonde.
I'm also sorry if I sound like I have an ego when I say this, but everyone needs their chance to feel good about themselves. The cosplay I don't put a whole lot of effort into and feel like I do really well as far as facially matching goes..
Ciel. Always Ciel. If I didn't have curves and wasn't a chubby girl, I think I'd be a much better cosplayer of him, but I feel that I look quite a lot like him anyways. For the wig, well, I'll never dye my hair the color of Ciel's. For makeup, all I do is put on foundation and eyeliner. I don't put that much into it but I feel like I can portray him really well.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm a tall blond man so I only cosplay tall blond men, basically.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote