Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
why_00
Emileigh

Materials help on a very large cosplay

My boyfriends in in the planning stages of making a cosplay and we are kind of stuck. He wants to make a Peppermint Butler cosplay from Adventure Time.

However we are not sure what to make this out of. My first thought was cardboard, however I wouldn't know where to get sheets of cardboard that big, or how to assemble pieces of cardboard together to form a large enough piece. I'm thinking it will have to have a sturdy internal structure in it in which to have it hang on him. I'm also not sure what would be the best to cover it in so we could sand the surface down nice and flat so after a coat of resin or varnish or something it would look candy like.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Have you considered using two hula hops as the base?

From there you can connect them to a certain depth and mount them to yourself with a harness. Also for the purpose of weight reduction and lessening chances of damage, you could just use fabric and sew everything together.

So not only will it be light weight but also capable of deconstruction for easy transportation.

Hope this helped.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
why_00
Emileigh

we did think about hula hoops. we're not sure of they'll be the right proportion for him though. he's a pretty big guy, 6'2, so regular hulahoops will likely be too small in diameter, he also would like for the costume to be rigid and not just made out of fabric.

They might be a good start for the outside frame though, depending on how well they can be cut apart and stretched outwards to be larger....

Edit:
However, looking up hula hoops led me to a tutorial on how to make them, that would solve the issue of diameter. My next problem is what to cover it with that will be rigid, and how to connect the hula hoops together.

Last edited by why_00 : 02-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Midnight Dawn

Then I question how easy to transport do you want this? As in do you want this to be collapsible or one solid frame?

Depending on your answer I can advise from there.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
why_00
Emileigh

He wants it to be one solid frame. He has plenty of storage room and a giant truck if he needs to take it anywhere, so it doesn't have to fold up at all.

By the way, thanks for helping with this, it's much appreciated.
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

The only way I can think of a cardboard sheet big enough for that would be to ask a mattress store if they had any boxes... I would imagine they'd have a surplus. Maybe a bike store also? There is no way you could buy cardboard that large online..

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Midnight Dawn

Alright, then here is another question how are you going to build the hoop?

Because if it's out of plumbing pipe parts then it's pretty simple as you just need the right jointing parts to connect the two hoops together. In another case just melt the plastic together with a gun as that works too.

Cardboard shouldn't be a big problem as you can get it for free at most stores. But you'll need to do a bit of cut and paste to get it to that big round hoop shape.

Looking at the costume and depending on the density of the cardboard then one layer of paper mache should be fine to cover up any little imperfections as you can color the candy part. But for the pants, you're going to need to use fabric.
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
why_00
Emileigh

I found a tutorial that used irrigation pipe and little connectors to make the hula hoops. you heated up the ends enough that they would slide over the connector and it would shrink around it when it cooled forming a tight bond.
I'm not sure how I would connect them so that there would be about a foot an a half between them though. Maybe I could do it with the cardboard somehow?

Hitting up a few mattress stores sounds like a fantastic idea for card board that is big enough. I just hope they'll let me take their boxes. Some places in my city are really stingy for some reason.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Midnight Dawn

You need to insert at least four 'T' part into the design mirroring the two hoops to each other. You can then insert a one foot pipe between each of the 'T' to get that depth.

This is what I mean by the 'T'. But it's a bit different to the one I'm showing you. Hopefully you get the idea I'm trying to show you.

But yeah, a mattress store should do or an electronics place or at worse you're going to need to cut and tape some boxes together from smaller ones.
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_00 View Post
I found a tutorial that used irrigation pipe and little connectors to make the hula hoops. you heated up the ends enough that they would slide over the connector and it would shrink around it when it cooled forming a tight bond.
I'm not sure how I would connect them so that there would be about a foot an a half between them though. Maybe I could do it with the cardboard somehow?
I've used black irrigation pipe in the past when I needed a bunch of hoops. Cheap, and works.

Instead of heating up the pipe, I just used a little bit of all-purpose grease to slide the connectors into the pipe. Those T-connectors will probably do what you need. You might need more than four cross-members to keep the big hoops from flopping around.

Are you going leave his arms completely inside it, and just make little floppy fabric arms for the butler? That would probably look the best but be very impractical for wearing all day. Hilarious to look at, for sure.

You can probably support most of the weight with some shoulder straps attached to the bottom side of the hoops (near the legs) that go up and over the wearer's shoulders. The whole thing shouldn't be too heavy, but it'll still be tiring to carry it all day without some shoulder support. A simple ribbon material will probably work just fine. You'll probably still need some interior handles built into your hoop frame to "steer" the body. Maybe a little basket inside too, where he can keep a drink and other little necessities.

Post progress pictures along the way

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
why_00
Emileigh

nathancarter: you pretty much summed up exactly my train of thought for building the thing. His arms are going to have to be inside it entirely, with maybe the outside arms being connected to a pole or something that he could move around a bit. The only other thing I was going to add was little fans inside of the costume so there is some air circulation and he doesn't get too outrageously hot.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to post progress pictures as we work on it. and if I need anymore help, I'll know where to go. haha
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

For the arms, something like a L-shaped pole (say, two pieces of half-inch PVC pipe and an elbow.. or maybe two lengths of your irrigation tubing and an elbow) - the long part of the pole goes down into the arm, the short part is accessible from inside the costume. That would give him a handle to grab onto, to easily manipulate the arm from inside. Wouldn't be fully articulated, but would still be amusing.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
char99char
Crazy for costumes

What about fabric instead of the cardboard? You can get mulin folded to 120" wide. A couple of layers of that would be opaque and you could paint it with a lot of different things. It would also be super light.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
why_00
Emileigh

The problem with that is that he wants it to be rigid and hard, a quality that fabric is not. it will also be easier to sculpt the nice curved edges of the costume in something that isn't fabric. It's not quite as harsh as just the hula hoop frame would be.
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

foam! use the giant foam (ya know those green sheets in the fabric stores) for this and itll give u a nice neat curve along with a smooth front
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote