Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

I wondered that, too. This is the first time I'll be having a costume change at a con. Normally, I'll just wear the one cosplay the whole time. It'll be cheating since I'm just changing outfits for the same character. Why not? It happens in theater all the time.

Unless things change, and I add another character to my Char-O-Dex.
We shall see...

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

It's great to be able to showcase your work and a lot of people will re-wear their costume over the course of the con, but it's also nice to have options. What is great about wearing multiple costumes is that you can change outfits: to avoid being smelly/dirty, when a costume gets damaged, or the weather changes (rain, too hot, too cold).

I prefer the multiple costumes, since the last day of the convention I still want to cosplay but wear something way more casual than what I might wear on Saturday. I also bring regular clothes to wear around the con in case I want to change out of the costume entirely. Usually I make one new costume for the large conventions, and rewear 1 or two older costumes.

Though we have a lot of conventions / meetups in Toronto, so there are tons of chances for re-wear.
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
HelloKittyQueen
Strange and Adorable :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
I guess I'm the odd one because I tend to just wear one costume throughout the entire convention. If I put all that work into a cosplay I want to get my use out of it. Plus, it gives people a chance to see it if they didn't the day before. :P
This is my issue, right here. I'm a beginner sewer and I spent a lot of money commissioning a wig for my character, so I feel like I'm doing it an injustice by only wearing it for a few hours and then switching out.
Balalaika from Black Lagoon ----> In progress
HelloKittyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
HelloKittyQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicserendipity View Post
I wondered that, too. This is the first time I'll be having a costume change at a con. Normally, I'll just wear the one cosplay the whole time. It'll be cheating since I'm just changing outfits for the same character. Why not? It happens in theater all the time.

Unless things change, and I add another character to my Char-O-Dex.
We shall see...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of as well. I'll probably just have to outfits of the same character. Of course the more comfortable one for picking up badges and all of that.
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

I usually do 2 costumes per day, except for Sundays. I put on the biggest, most impressive (or just newest) costume in the morning because mornings and afternoons are the busiest times of the con, which means they're the best for showing off. Usually the impressive costume I wear in the mornings is the same on Fri and Sat, and depending on how I'm feeling on Sunday I might wear it for the whole day again as well, since it's a short day.

When I go back to my apartment/hotel room to eat dinner, I change into a simpler, comfier costume. Because after 9 hours in a costume with floor length sleeves, or ridiculous armor harnesses, or carrying a 10lb, 5ft long, bass guitar around, my energy is a lot lower than it was in the morning. Also, it lets me freshen up a bit. Wash my face and put on more deodorant, etc. My first costume of the day has a chance to air out, too.

Night at cons is when the dances/concerts are, and I don't want to be left out of the fun, stuck in the back of the room, standing against the wall wearing armor or with a giant prop that has delicate bits. If I'm wearing something like my Starry Sky uniform or Homura, I'll have a lot more range of motion and nothing unwieldy to worry about in a crowd.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I got a friend who did that, she wore two cosplays in a con but they used the same wig cause both characters had the same hair color, so that makes it more practical

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
cowsrcute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdreamyr View Post
If it's a long convention, like Fanime which is 4 days long it's far easier to do multiple costumes. I usually end up doing 3. Friday is something simple for checking in and stuff, Saturday and Sunday are the nicer and more complicated ones, and then normal clothes for Monday when heading home. Each has a whole day to show off so I don't feel rushed.
That is what I do to except I can never stay for Monday. I know what you mean about wanting to show off a cosplay you work really hard on for a long time. However, I normally re-wear the cosplay again some other year. I cycle around them. That way, everyday at the con is different but the time I wear them is stretched out over years.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
HelloKittyQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsrcute View Post
That is what I do to except I can never stay for Monday. I know what you mean about wanting to show off a cosplay you work really hard on for a long time. However, I normally re-wear the cosplay again some other year. I cycle around them. That way, everyday at the con is different but the time I wear them is stretched out over years.
That's a really good idea. What's your opinion on same character, different outfits? AKON is three days, so what about the different outfits for the character?
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
mentokjebus

I've done anywhere from 2-6 in a three day con. It really isn't too much trouble to go back to the hotel room and change out once in a while. You will be taking breaks anyways.

My advice is less about quantity and more about comfort. Vary your costumes so you have at least a comfortable school uniform-esque one for when you're all achy, as well as one with no wig necessary. If you party/drink you really need a comfortable chilling costume. Mine is Ash Ketchum...just a couple of shirts and a hat. You will have more room in your vehicle and hotel room and you won't be as tired if you rotate this way.
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
TortureBunni
Living in a Dreamworld

I usually bring about two cotumes with me per convention. Because I have an affinity for ballgowns and fancy dresses, it's really all that I have room to pack.

Convention Schedule 2014:
Katsucon
Otakon
TortureBunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
HelloKittyQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortureBunni View Post
I usually bring about two cotumes with me per convention. Because I have an affinity for ballgowns and fancy dresses, it's really all that I have room to pack.
Beautiful! I always look forward to the girls in the long, flowing dresses regardless of their cosplays ^.^
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Vanilla_Rose16

Well at this year's Anime Boston I plan on bringing 2 cosplays as long as I get both done in time. At AAC last year I only brought one (which was Crona from Soul Eater, it was actually my first time cosplaying) and that Sunday I was way too exhausted to put it on again. I feel having 2 separate cosplays from 2 different fandoms leaves more room for excitement in my opinion. I will most likely save my most comfortable, laid back cosplay for Sunday so I don't tire myself out lol
Misa Amane-Death Note

2015 Cosplay Plans:
Allen Walker-D.Gray-Man (35% complete)
Saria-Ocarina of Time (0% Complete)

Cons Attending:
Anime Boston 2015

-Stay Gold-
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I tend to bring one for each day minimum. I found out at FanExpo 2011 that I get bored if I wear a cosplay more than twice at a con. I might bring more to change during the day if there is a shoot I want to go to or something. If I do, I try to only change once per day and I change at a point in the day where both cosplays will get about equal time to be shown off.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Angii
Slifer Spaz

I get told I'm crazy a lot of the time for the amount of costumes I bring, but in actuality, I tend to bring so many for all kinds of different reasons, namely health ones. I live in Texas, land of heat, and unfortunately, I have an affinity for extremely heavy, extremely layered costumes. So I can't stay outside too long because I'll get heat stroke, and I'm not exactly a person who finds staying inside the hotel of a con the greatest thing unless there is a lot of room. So sure, I'll bring 4-6 cosplays a con (2 a day sort of deal), but it's mostly so I can change, take a break from the heat outside, and keep things interesting, since different outfits get different kinds of attention.

It also keeps my costumes from getting all nasty for the most part, which means there's less effort going into washing them once I get home. XD It's all your own preferences, so there's nothing wrong with being a character the entire weekend. In fact, it keeps you recognizable to people you might meet at the con itself, which keeps you out of the "Oh well I was cosplaying _____ on ___day!" and just having to hope they remember you.
Angii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
fabrickind

I'm the type to bring zillions of costumes to a single con.

The only con I go to for multiple days and stay overnight at is Fanime, which is a 4-day con. Last year, I wore 5 costumes in 3 of those 4 days, typically wearing two cosplays and one non-cosplay outfit, then wearing a non-cosplay outfit on Monday.
For cons that I don't stay overnight at, I still tend to bring an extra outfit of some type and keep it in the car, in case I need to change (I wore two cosplays this past AOD, despite not spending the night, for example).

Usually, I like to showcase as many costumes as possible at Fanime, so I'll wear multiple outfits during the day (usually one in the morning and early afternoon, then one into the evening), but I get tired of wearing nothing but cosplay for various reasons (and don't like to wear cosplay much after dark, mostly for safety reasons), so I'll bring a lolita outfit to change into. I also always attend to lolita gathering, and typically wear lolita to the formal ball, so those are outfits that are always worked into my schedule. I get most of my best cosplay photos at Fanime, since it is a larger con, so it is worth it to me to show off as many costumes as I can.

At smaller cons, ones that I don't stay overnight at and/or only go to for one day, I tend to wear one outfit per day. I only did two cosplays at AOD because my second cosplay was a knit dress and sooooo comfy compared to my vinyl catsuit from earlier in the day. These are the cons where I can enjoy spending a lot of time in a single costume. Though, a lot of my cosplays are uncomfortable to wear, physically or otherwise, so I like to have a backup change of clothes, just in case.

There are simply too many characters that I want to cosplay as and too many outfits that I want to make for me to -not- do things this way! I sometimes wish that I could give myself more time with certain costumes that I love, but I tend more towards number of wears than length of each wear, if that makes sense. You should see my backlog. It's crazy.

This Fanime, I have insane amounts of costumes planned, and will have to do many costume changes in a day, including painting myself grey and then unpainting myself in the span of an afternoon. I'm planning on 3 totally new cosplays, 2 that are new since last Fanime, and at least 1 older cosplay, but probably 3 older cosplays, which makes a grand total of 8 cosplays in 3 days (since I still don't cosplay on Mondays, with packing and going home and everything), not counting my lolita gathering outfit, my "I'm too tired to wear a real cosplay" cosplay, and any "I'm too tired to wear anything else" lolita outfits that I may change into. (At least one of those 8 cosplays is for the formal ball, so I don't have to worry too much about that!)

I've done 5 for the past couple of years and that tends to be pushing it, but since I'm probably wearing a couple of these just to their respective gatherings, it shouldn't be terrible. I'm hoping for the best here. My friends are always joking with me about how they see me in one costume, and then see me 10 minutes later in something totally different, and no matter how often they see me, I'm never wearing the same thing. (Though the time I take out to change costumes is pretty nice to recharge after being at the con for a while!)

Really, there's just too much cosplay to do, and too few cons to do it at, unless I want to spend the time and money to travel all the way to southern California or to another state. =_______=;;
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote