Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
jessio

Chihayafuru

I need a bit of help for cosplaying one of the characters from Chihayafuru.
I want to cosplay Kana-chan in the hakama they wear when they go to tournaments, but when I researched traditional clothing the hakama they're wearing seem to be more semiformal, like more formal than the ones martial artists wear but a lot less formal than the ones people wear when they graduate school or the ones men wear to tea ceremonies. I couldn't really find any reference to this kind at all. But maybe people don't really wear these often.
Here's one picture of her playing the card game.
Here's another picture of her playing the game.
Sorry I don't have good pictures! They're just shaped like regular hakama with a regular kimono top. She wears different ones each time, those just look very similar, or are the same one with the color balance adjusted.
But what would the kimono top be made out of? They're rentals, so they would probably be expensive. (And I guess I couldn't duplicate that exactly...) But what would be a good approximation? Chirimen is that textured fabric which would look cooler than just a plain cotton for that. But that might not make sense. I don't know much about traditional Japanese clothes.
I found a pattern for hakama that recommends a poly cotton blend for them. Do you agree? They say that'll keep the pleats nicer than other fabrics. Do you guys agree? I haven't bought the pattern yet, but I think I might.
If anyone has any tips, please lmk
jessio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
FUYUMI
fudafuタイ&#1

For my Taichi Hakama, I made it all out of polycotton since that's what men's traditional stuff are usually made of I think, but I think with the females it needs to be a bit more sturdier but the hakama should still be polycotton. The underslip of the kimono is also polycotton (this applies to both men and women) but the outerslip of the outfit for women I wouldn't know but I would usually stick to cotton and have interfacing or stabiiliser under it to be a bit more sturdier. Not sure if I helped at all but good luck !