Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Ilafatyu
That guy

Has cosplay ever come in helpful?

With daily life stuff, I mean. Whether it's a skill put to use or a costume piece you used in a practical manner, has anything cosplay related helped out in some way?

I just cleared my house of smoke with a steel fan I used as a prop once, since it was the biggest thing I could think of to move air. Glad nobody was here or I'd have some explaining to do.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

My workplace had a Candyland themed Christmas party last year. The main competition was creating a candy-themed accessory/piece of clothing.

They'd ordered a King Kandy outfit for the General Manager to wear as a big surprise, and when it arrived in the mail, it was probably the worst quality costume I've ever seen. It put most Halloween costumes to shame. So I remade it in two days. Fur trimmed, purple velvet jacket, jolly ranchers around the cuffs and gold butterscotch candies around the bottom hem, and a crown decorated with gumdrops, candycanes, and white cake decorating pearls.

And then I made a Queen Frostine costume for myself, with a big poofy skirt, and a giant snowflake wand and a glittering blue crown.

In less-costume related things, most of my cosplay-intended power tools have come in handy for general repairs. Wood glue, the Dremel, power drill, etc. Also, my cardboard collection sometimes gets used for putting under messy things, like paint for the wall. I've started using my extensive ribbon collection for wrapping significant Christmas/birthday/wedding gifts, too. A nice satin ribbon looks SOO much better and classier than that fibrous nylon/plastic ribbon.

I'm planning on attempting to brule fruit or make creme brule with my heat gun in the future. Because I saw Alton Brown do it once that way instead of using a torch, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me~
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Takoto
drinking tea.

I don't know if it's "daily life" but it came up in a University lecture I was in, and I was the only cosplayer there and I was the only person able to answer any questions/things about it (and fandoms/communities).
Takoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
cowsrcute

In my AP English we have a final project instead of a senior project and I did mine on the Victorian Age. My teacher loved the elegance of the time period so I had a tea party and made a costume for me and a bunch of accessories for my classmates and teacher. They had lotsa fun and I got a great grade. I had lotsa clothes for that class. My classmate would ask me if I had a costume for every occasion since there were lotsa projects and extra credit that let me dress up. The tea party was definitely the funnest.

I learned to sew to make cosplay so I guess my skill to sew is because of cosplay. Most of the clothes I wear are clothes I make and things like my purses and wallets are stuff I make also. The only exception is jeans or if the article of clothing is 5 dollars or under will I buy it. This saves me a lot of money on a daily basis because I love clothes.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
AnimeAndMusical

Haha, a basic knowledge of wig styling came in the other day when I had to cut someone's real hair.

Other than that I sew/modify/mend things every once in a while.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

Having cosplay tools around is handy - my jewelers tools have been used by my in-laws for a few things.
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Cosplay helped my entire life I guess. So many characters wear thigh highs and it didn't look so nice on my thunder thigh yo. So, that exercise I never did in my entire life I started two weeks ago. I haven't consumed any chips or any of that oily stuff since about a month and my mom bought barbecue ones. ; A ; Oh the cravings.

I feel like my body is a lot healthier now even though there's not much physical change yet.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
trmbngrl
Britt

Yep.
Just randomly made a mask for a dance this last friday at my college (hey, the supplies were limited but free) and everyone was ASTOUNDED at this... (to me) crappy thing I just whipped up in 15 minutes. Also people not knowing terms or how to use them. I kept having to remind people that thin plastic masks you get in bulk WILL melt and warp if you use a glue gun on them directly.
Also getting commissions to help people with small props and wigs, being able to fix people's clothing for them, resew hems in 2 minutes, pin things correctly and the like. Yeah it's helpful.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Khorrupt

There's a "costume contest" of sorts at school every year; I know, it sounds juvenile, but my friends and I have a total blast just blowing everyone away, because...you know, general people think of costumes, and they think, "Oh yeah, I just have to go out and buy a costume."

...whereas, a cosplayer thinks of a costume seven months early and thinks, "SHIT, I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME!" So totally astounding everyone with our Disney princess lineup was great; I can't lie.

Also, I had a project where I had to dress up as an influential American and give a speech as said person. Well, it was a man, so I pulled a few cosplayer tricks like chest binding and contouring (which aren't really tricks, but you don't really know them if you're not a cosplayer XD) and people freaked out. They were like, "Whoa, is that you in there?! That's so weird!"
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I agree with pandagilbirds, I am more conscious of what I eat and my weight because I want to look the proper size in my costumes. Johnny Depp is a sort of skinny person (or at least as Jack Sparrow in the earlier movies he was), so I'd like to maintain the proper weight for that.

Also cosplay has helped me with school assignments. I am currently working on a cosplay research project, and my professor thinks it is incredibly interesting, so that definitely helps

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

It's certainly helped me out on a more personal level.
See, I'm not a very confident person. At all. Hell, I'll actually say it. I honestly hate myself and the way I look. The only thing that's really keeping those thoughts at bay is cosplaying. Through cosplay, I can actually look in the mirror and not be made sick from my reflection. Cosplay has really done a lot for me and my self image. If I never got into it, I'm honestly afraid of what would have happened to me...

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

TigerCon 2014
Gilbert Beilschmidt/Prussia - Axis Powers Hetalia

Halloween 2014
...still planning this one...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Genro

Well, it's helped my woodworking skills immensely. Making several wood props has helped me to learn intricate design in wood, and when I own my own house, I plan on personally hand-making much of the furniture. My wife's sewing abilities are growing insane, and she will be able to hand-sew clothing for our children when they arrive. Cosplay does teach some really good and handy skills, and I would also agree with the health aspects of cosplay. I've recently been really working out, running, eating healthier, and alot more for the sake of cosplay. I would try and keep generally healthy, but if it wasn't for cosplay, I wouldn't currently be as dedicated to living a healthy lifestyle right now.
Genro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Rhapsados
IRL Ibuki Mioda

People at my school used to commission me for cosplays.

No joke.

Somehow it got around that I made cosplays, and suddenly people I had never talked to wanted to be my best friend so they could get discounts. It was crazy.

Future Cosplays
Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Akali (League of Legends)
Rhapsados is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Ron Jr

Well my primary cosplay is Vader and as a member of the 501st legion I go to many charity events as well as Make A Wish and hospital/house visits for sick kids. We also raise money for various charity organizations.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Well, I've always wanted to sew (I want to be the cool mom that makes awesome Halloween costumes and stuff), and last night I made a list of easy/learn to sew patterns I'll be trying to pick up at the store today after my parents drop off my sewing machine! I originally bought it for hemming pants, that's all, but I had apparently gotten a super awesome machine that's been just sitting in storage at my parents' house!

So I'll be trying to teach myself to sew, which has the added benefit of being a great skill for both cosplay AND to supplement a zombie plan!

Plus, my office is located in a rented out portion of the local "dead mall," but there is still a gym in operation there; but, the contracting company I work through has a discount for a few area gyms as well - my boyfriend and I are looking over the options. I'd definitely like to be a little less squishy in some areas, and redefine some muscles, to look good in various cosplays.

Other than that, duct tape skills. We used our duct tape skills to make a small boat, which will hold two average sized people if you're both careful! XD
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote