Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Nemi

I learned how to sew from my mom and grandma for a bit. I was also looking at videos and tutorials on how to sew some things. The first thing I made was an inverted box pleated skirt because of a tutorial I found.

What also helps is drawing out each piece on paper and putting down the measurements if you don't have a pattern before sewing it. I actually made my first top without a pattern.

Cosplays For 2013/2014
Asuna Yuuki (SAO): 90% ~ Gou Matsuoka (Free!): 95%
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts): 65% ~ Yuri Nakamura (Angel Beats!): 20% ~ Sayaka Miki (PMMM): 5%

Cons I'm Attending
TigerCon, NekoCon, VA Comic Con
Nemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
BeardedDragon74
Oro?

For me it started with an apron in home economics. It was the first time I touched a sewing machine and I got a C-. Devastating for a little 6th grader. In college I got into anime and I really wanted to have an Okita Souji Halloween costume. It was before E-bay, so I decided to make it myself. It took three months but it turned out okay (I left needles on the basement floor and Mom really yelled at me). Now that I have my own house and my Grandmother’s old sewing machine, it’s much easier to take my time on sewing projects. It’s really relaxing. I’m still a beginner but I try to practice as much as I can.

Cosplay in progress:
Yami Marik/Melvin from Yu Gi Oh! The Abridged Series
BeardedDragon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
maybemelancholy
{risa}

I actually used a hot glue gun or fabric glue to make outfits instead of sewing them LOL. This kinda helped me focus more on how to cut patterns, how fabric folded and worked with each other, etc. Then when i transitioned to a sewing machine, it helped tremendously cuz it was just a matter of where to make the stitches :3
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
trmbngrl
Britt

My mom made quilts for me growing up but REFUSED to show me anything. No really.
She refused to show me how to do anything past load the dishwasher and washer and dryer for her. I couldn't even cook when I moved out. So I was on my own when I wanted to start making things...
It's been hard learning on my own but I am quite the zealot for information and I just scoured the internet for a long while before every touching a sewing machine. I've only been sewing like... a month on a machine and I'm already getting way better just by having a head start learning the terminology and how to read patterns.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

My mom taught me some basics like how to thread the bobbin, how to back stitch, etc. For the rest I've read and watched tutorials and taught myself through trial and error.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
kendraduck09

I learned to sew in 7th grade, everyone had to take an FCS class. We made a duffle bag and I still use mine. I was one of the best in the class and learned that I loved sewing, so I joined sewing club and made some stuffed animals.

Fast forward 3 years... I didn't sew much then. Both my grandmothers know how to sew, but one lives 1 hour away and the other is 8 hours away. Neither of them could help me much, and my mom doesn't know how to sew. But she did get me a sewing machine for Christmas. I took a quilting class at Joann's (since my Grandma has always made quilts, I figured I should learn how) and made some small quilting projects, but nothing huge.

Then I discovered the wonderful world of cosplay! I was at a slow point in my sewing and was running out of inspiration. I taught myself (with a little help from a teacher) how to read and sew from patterns. Now I'm finishing up a dress and it's turning out really nice!

So... that's my sewing history. The "sewing gene" went from my Grandma, to my aunt, then skipped over to me. Nobody touches my stuff, they just want me to make things for them! But it keeps me busy, so I'm fine with that.
Maou Sadao - Demon Form (The Devil is a Part Timer!)

Planned cosplays:
Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
Kageyama Tobio (Haikyuu!!)
BE!Koujaku (DRAMAtical Murder)

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Sticks
First Sergeant Melchiott

I would love to have been like most girls, where their moms taught them how to sew and showed them how to work their way around a sewing machine.
Sadly, my mother never had the time or patience for me. XD We had this old iron Singer sewing machine that was from like the 1970's, but it was always more for show than anything else. My mom is super creative though, so I get my creativity from her, for sure.

My best friend's mother at the time is the one who taught me how to sew waayyy back in 2005. My very first costume I ever made was my Time Jump Haruno Sakura costume from Naruto, and the first pattern I ever used was a "simple" Vogue pattern for the vest. I struggled with that project for so long until my friend's mother stepped in and took my clumsy butt under her wing. She showed me the ins and outs of sewing, from simple to tight stitches, the differences in thread types as well as how to work with difficult fabrics. XD After that I took to sewing like a duck takes to water. I found that I loved it! My mom bought me my own Singer sewing machine for a birthday/Christmas combo back in 2008, and I've had so much fun with it ever since.

Don't get me wrong, there's been a LOT of trial and error that's gone into my costumes. In fact, with every new project I've taken on, I always buy just a little bit extra fabric so that if I make a mistake I'm covered. XD

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2014 Conventions:
AnimeBoston (tentative)
Momocon
Dragon*Con
AWA

Last edited by Sticks : 02-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I had a mother who sewed a lot and she made my first costumes. However after seeing my old costume fall apart after 4 years of use I wanted something that would be unique and standout. I have been thinking about sewing since last July and wanted to make my costume personally. So I took sewing lessens in January and now with some help from others to learn how to make it I am starting on it now so I am ready by July.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
HelloKittyQueen
Strange and Adorable :3

My Gosh, I love hearing about all of your stories, guys! Love it so much! Really inspires me to start sewing. Whenever I used to sew back in high school I used to find it so relaxing. I managed to make boxer shorts during that class that I still wear today, but I am clueless when it comes to fabrics and all of that. Our teacher was kind of just...here you go.
Balalaika from Black Lagoon ----> In progress
HelloKittyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Bombgirl
Bonkyu! Bonkyu!

I taught myself as well! I literally knew nothing about sewing machines. So much so that I thought you had to push the fabric through rather than feeding it through the machine ^^;;;; I'm pretty sure I sewed things with an inch and a half seam allowance too, because it just seemed like a safe thing to do. xD
Bombgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #26
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

A combination of my mom and self-taught. My Mom can sew but doesn't do it too often (her real talent is woodworking and painting. She mostly just did curtains, pyjamas, Halloween costumes and pant hems when I was younger), but taught me handsewing and the basics of working on the machine and working with patterns. Then a couple of books taught me fitting, drafting, fancier terminology, embellishment, embroidery was a mix of books, grandma and experimenting, and obviously I practiced a lot to get where I am. And coscom was of course a help on a lot of my cosplays.
...and in the fall, I'm off to fashion school!
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Schweigie
--

Pretty much all self taught with the exception of some video tutorials on youtube on how to do specific things.

My sister wanted to take up sewing before me, but seeing as she was a little kid with a short attention span at the time, that interest didn't last more than a week. But because of that we already owned a cheap little sewing machine that I was able to put to use in the 6th grade when i finally got interested. I've long since upgraded my machine and skills since then.

I didn't really practice on any scraps though, I just jumped right into it which probably wasn't a very good idea but hey, now I know how to sew.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
Dollicon
Derelict

I took a sewing class in high school :Y How boring right? I learned the basics there, and anything more difficult I learned from tutorials online.
Dollicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
Psycho_Kitty
It flies, it dies

I think it was in elementary school was when I first learned to hand sew. At that time we used plastic needles in case anyone poked themselves. I have watched my mom use the sewing machine while growing up but it was until 2 years ago I learned to use the machine. Right now I'm in school for getting an AA in Theatre tech so some of the required classes are costuming and patternmaking. Lately I have been looking at tutorials to start sewing my own clothing for the fact that I am getting out of the mainly armor cosplays.
SDCC '14
Currently working on:
Season 1 Jon Snow
Upcoming:
Original Character- Assassin
Sniper ODST

Psycho_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Youtube and the internet.

Although I'm still learning! :X My mother knows how to sew but she's always busy with work or during her own stuff. From time to time she'll tell me what I'm doing wrong with my sewing or tell me a few things. The very first thing I learned how to make were pleated skirts! I still just look around the internet for a lot of tutorials that teach me how to do and make things over and over and over again so then it can hopefully burn into my memory! xD

I might take a sewing class just to speed things up a little x3

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 65%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Ruby Rose/Summer Rose - RWBY 10%[/color]
Petra Ral (angel ver.)- AoT
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote