Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Another "is it possible to dye this?" thread

Yeah, sorry. I'm looking to purchase a pair of striped thigh high socks for my Stocking cosplay, but, of course, they don't have the color scheme I want, which is black/blue. They do, however, have black/grey, so I was wondering if it's possible to dye them so that the grey areas come out blue?

The fabric content is as follows:
85% regenerated cotton/acrylic/polyester, 10% nylon, 5% elastic.

I assume RIT dye wouldn't work too well for what I want since the fabric isn't 100% cotton.. Is there something else I can use?

Thank you!

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsong View Post
I was wondering if it's possible to dye them so that the grey areas come out blue?
Yes, you can overdye the tights to tint them blue. The black would stay black, but the grey would come out a muted or dark blue. It depends on what shade of blue dye you use and how well it takes.

Quote:
The fabric content is as follows:
85% regenerated cotton/acrylic/polyester, 10% nylon, 5% elastic.
That doesn't say how much of the content is actually cotton, though; part of that 85% is synthetic.

Quote:
I assume RIT dye wouldn't work too well for what I want since the fabric isn't 100% cotton.. Is there something else I can use?
RIT will work on things other than cotton, it's just that the color is mostly targeted at cotton so it may come out differently (or very faded) on other fibers. Some people have had success with it taking to polyester, some not.

The nutshell is: if you want to use RIT on these tights, it WILL take because you have cotton content. However, because they are not 100% cotton, the color will not come out exactly like shown on the packaging. This would be true even if you used a nicer procion dye. The cotton part will accept the dye at a color reasonably close to what it's supposed to be, but the non-cotton portion will either not take the dye at all or the color may come out tweaky, different, or faded. Consequently, the final overall color will be different than what's on the box.

(Hopefully that makes sense.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote