Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #46
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Only advice I have is this: Dramamine. It's used to prevent and treat motion sickness.

Even if you normally don't suffer from car sickness, reading in a moving vehicle can trigger it in a LOT of people. Nothing is worse than bringing your favorite book/manga/handheld game on a long car trip to pass the time, and then spending the rest of the trip in complete misery.

Unread 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
Disasterbate
Shubadawoo!

The longest car ride for us was from Portland to Seattle for day zero at Sakuracon-2011. Uncle picked me up at 3:00, picked up our second person a few minutes later, and then got my cousin at about 4:30 in Vancouver due to horrid traffic. We left his place at about 5:00, and then with a couple of stops (dinner and Starbucks), we arrived in Seattle at about 8:30-9:00PM.

The ride itself was not a bother though. We were all in cosplay and we just had a party in the car the whole ride up. Played anime songs on our iPods, wrote cracky-fanfics, joked around in-character, etc... It was pretty awesome. If you are traveling to a con with friends, then I wouldn't say you are "dealing with it".
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #48
ShadowFaeyre

My sister and I've routinely done long-distance car rides since we were little, so they seem to fly by now (and we love them anyway). But there's still always that lull when you just get so friggin' tired...
I agree with what everyone else has said, and just want to add:

If it's a new place that you've never been to before, try pointing things out that are interesting or funny or new; we've been going the same route since we were 4, and we can still find new things that have changed that we can talk about. You can usually find a street or county name that you can make jokes out of for a bit, and tons of billboards.

Bring paper or something and have a competition to see who can build the most unique thing out of it.

If there's a new chapter/episode/game out, geek out about that for a while. it's fun, gets you pumped for con, and passes the time, since things like that can stretch on for a bit. If there's someone in the car that's new to cons, anime/manga/etc., a certain series, cosplay, what have you, use the time to let them ask questions and help them get prepared for everything.

I was involved in an intense tournament of hangman (even including the driver; he just told us where to put the letters that we guessed right) I've ever seen that somehow ended up lasting the entire trip of about 6 hours, and none of us realized it until we made it to where we were going. It takes the right kind of people, but when you lose because of "pie" or something really stupid, you want revenge. Mix it up with simple guessing games, but make sure to put less thought-heavy ones in-between or tell jokes so it won't get dull or irritating.

Also, make sure, if you're ever carpooling with people that are of the more irritating breed, that they know beforehand what will get them thrown out of the car into a river on the way, so they know any habits to avoid beforehand. My sister was in a 7-hour ride next to a person who poked her continuously THE ENTIRE TRIP.

But, overall, I suggest a mix of everything. Don't keep doing the same thing for any more than an hour at most (unless it's sleeping), or it'll get old real fast.
And remember, the ride back always seems to fly by faster!
2013/14 Cosplays: Levi (SnK) ~ Erwin Smith (SnK) ~ SplashFree!Makoto (Free!) ~ merman!Makoto (Free!) ~ SplashFree!Rin (Free!) ~ merman! Rin (Free!) ~ Kagami Taiga (KuroBasu) ~ Cambio Forma!Yamamoto (KHReborn!) ~ Sinbad (Magi)
ShadowFaeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
BlooShine

I sleep.
That's my cure for long car rides. I've always been able to be lulled to sleep with car rides, even a 40 minute one if I'm tired enough.
I make sure to have a pillow and a light blanket and boom, I'm out.

But if I'm not sleeping, then we're listening to music and chit-chatting and generally enjoying each other's company. On the really long rides we always stop at the rest stations for potty/vending machine/stretch breaks.

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #50
CaramellDancer
Closer Cosplayer

Sleep. I get motion sick too, so unless I'm driving I'm sleeping almost the whole way there.

~Cosplay W.I.P.~

Hatsune Miku: 2%
Maka from Soul Eater: 90%
Redo of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2: 10%
fem!Tony the Talking Clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: 0%

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doens't work, Raise, Aim, Fire.
CaramellDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #51
Maplesnowchunks

I'm usually the super-excited one. My buds usually end up sleeping, and I will too, but not for long! I like playing the ABC game where you find things outside the car (signs, license plates,etc.) that start with each letter of the alphabet until you reach the end. The first person to the end of the alphabet wins! or you could play together and reach the end together... A lot of times I'm super pumped and just end up chatting about the convention and freaking out. I'll sing and everything, too. Pretty much anything I can think of within the boundaries of a vehicle, I'll do xD

Next Con: Sukoshicon in Louisville!

Finished cosplays:
Cheshire- Pandora hearts
Yagami Light- Death Note
Shion- No.6
Cheshire Cat Hitachiin Kaoru- Ouran High School Host Club

Ongoing:
Davesprite- Homestuck (95%)
Ren Hakuryuu- Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic (90%)
Mienshao- Pokemon (0%)

Next up (hopefully):
Maplesnowchunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #52
Felidae Pounce
Nyan! =^w^=

If I'm the one driving, I make sure that I have very entertaining people ride with me so I won't be bored and will always have something to talk about. I also get really bad motion sickness, so if I'm riding with someone, they have to be willing to take breaks in between the car ride so I can take a breather. I took a trip to New York with a couple of friends for NYCC and we left at about 10 PM and didn't check in the hotel until about 8 AM the next day, so you can imagine the agony I was in. xP
Instagram: felidaepounce
World of Warcraft: Tinykitten (Echo Isles)
Rangerboard: Felidaepounce
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Felidaepounce
Felidae Pounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #53
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I take medicine for getting carsick as well, though usually nervousness and the like means we have to stop about halfway to the con to prevent me from getting sick anyways.
And for the drive itself, music! Always have a good soundtrack to listen to on your iPod when your dad is playing bluegrass the whole way there.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #54
Kelley
Devil of Details

I've driven 11 hours by myself. I just played music and well, drove.

I was on a 24+ hour train ride recently. I read a book, I played a GBA emulator on my phone, I watched a lot of old TV shows I'd put on an SD card to my tablet, and I even streamed some Netflix while we had good coverage.

When I was a kid I was great on long car-rides. I just sat and watched out the window.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #55
ScarletTanager

I take a 500 mg ginger pill and have ginger ale with me the whole way, just to make sure I don't get sick. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes we play comedians via iPod for the car's enjoyment. Many, many times I and most of my car-mates are finishing last minute bits of cosplay.
ScarletTanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #56
Lucid_Enigma

I don't usually get the option to sleep on long car rides because I'm usually the navigator (reading driving directions, looking up maps etc)

so to combat long car rides I always bring my CD collection with me and blast music. Each CD is generally about 45 minutes long and its a good way to stay awake and entertained. Also, if I'm driving with a friend we'll just talk non stop about anything and everything. And I usually have videos on my phone that we both like so we can watch them and then talk about that.

Other options include bringing a handheld gaming device, or a good book!
2D (Stuart Pot) 100%

Lucid_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #57
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Be the driver. Time goes by much quicker when you're the driver.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #58
Septembre
That charming devil again

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernMARIMO View Post
My friends and I play anime/vidoe game character themed 20 questions. Are you a girl? Yes. Pink hair? No. Blonde? Yes. Shoujo character? Yes. Ect ect ect (It gets more complicated and is super fun) Took them sooooo long to get Sailor Moon I was so disappoint it was so obvious XD
This game wins

Cosplay List

Shin Megami Tensei
SMT: Imagine - IGC `Razgriz - Completed (October 2011)
SMT: Persona 4 - Yu Narukami - Completed (May 2013)
SMT: Persona 3 - Akihiko Sanada - TBA (0%)

Death Note
Kira - Light Yagami TBA (0%)
Matt - TBA (0%)

RWBY
Adam - TBA (0%)

Naruto
Zabuza - TBA (0%)

Secret Cosplay - TBA (0%)

Also doing future cosplays for Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Metal Gear Solid and more!
Always looking for cosplay partners & groups!

Septembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #59
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

My recipe for my 8 hour otakon drive every year:
1) download all teh new anime music you can find onto your ipod, use it to play anime name that tune or just sing LOUDLY.
2) Pack a cooler of drinks. I take a 6 pack of gatorade, some soda cans, and crystal light (use it to refil the gatorade bottles with crappy water from a rest stop or con fountain)
3) be sure to have AND CHARGE laptop/3ds/ipod/kindle/phone/ect. if you have a decent laptop, plug into car audio and let backseat watch a movie.
4) Sleep.

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #60
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I'm quite awkward socially in person unless someone else initiates something so I'm generally playing or browsing stuff on my phone. If not, it's discussing the horrors we encountered while sewing our costumes.
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote