Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
NekoMimi16
Hyper Otaku

Question Catwoman's gloves?

I'm currently making the "Batman Returns" version of Catwoman but I'm having some issues with the gloves. I was hoping someone would be able to answer a few questions I have. ^^

1. How do I make the claws? I don't mind getting the actual pieces she uses and putting them together but I have to make sure they're "con safe". No sharp edges, etc.

2. How do I attach them to PVC vinyl? My gloves will be that kind of material and I want to be sure they won't fall off or fall apart. ><

Please help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catwoman_Claws_Batman_Returns_movie.jpg (119.8 KB, 0 views)
NekoMimi16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

for some reason i thought the movie showed her making them from shower hooks and rubber/vinyl gloves, but i never really payed attention to catwoman

the claws were stitched on by hand in the movie, and so arnt meant for more that to cause
scratches and light cuts, so they dont need to be robust or overly secured,
just that they dont come off too easily

but since the movie did show her making the outfit from scavenged materials,
i feel that should give you free reign over the materials and still call it "true to character"

... wait, you are refering to the movie from the 80/90's right?
and not mis title ing the new dark knight series?

as for con-safe claws, you could use the hook and corners of plastic clothes hangers
attachet to "thimbals" using finishing nails, bobby pins, or wire thread

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 03-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
NekoMimi16
Hyper Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
for some reason i thought the movie showed her making them from shower hooks and rubber/vinyl gloves, but i never really payed attention to catwoman

but since the movie did show her making the outfit from scavenged materials,
i feel that should give you free reign over the materials and still call it "true to character"

... wait, you are refering to the movie from the 90's right?
and not mis title ing the new dark knight series?
It's Tim Burton's 1992 version. I don't have an issue with using the actual/similar kinds of materials as they are random pieces, but I don't have too much experience with different kinds of glue so I'm not sure how to keep them from falling apart.
NekoMimi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

The gloves look pretty much like thimbles that have been altered to fit the fingers in some places, so that part is easy enough.
Then you could use like either nail care kit pieces, or scrap metal for the tips.

I'd honestly suggest soldering those piece together if you have access to one. I personally wouldn't trust putting them together with anything else.

To attach them to the gloves, any sort of super glue, strong fabric glue, or hot glue should do the trick.
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

if your going with thimble/cupped tips, id drill a series of tiny holes around the base,
6+ at least, then stitch them on heavily using normal black thread, just keep going till you feel good,

personally im not a fan of glue

id probably end up using wire or nails, or sew them together too,
just remember to drill pilot holes or use notching (carve small grooves for the thread/wire
to sink into so it dont just slide out
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

The reference photo looks like most of it is a disassembled Swiss Army knife or two, and some little tiny machine screws and nuts to hold it together. However, to stay con-safe, you might just have to cut out little sharp bits of black fun foam. Even plastic bits can be sharp and pokey to other con-goers.

The fingertips - looks like you've got several thimbles in there (fingers 2, 3, 8, 9, 10 from left to right), at least one crimp-style hose clamp (finger 6), and some other assorted metal garbage and found objects.

As far as assembling, it looks like the thimbles are cut apart into "petals" to fint over the gloves and be sewn on. You might need to cut a slot in the tip of the thimble, insert and secure an L-shaped flange (glue or solder), and screw on the blades with your machine screws.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote