Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Pastaloving Me~
PASTA rules the World!!

Advice for black cosplayers

hihi!!~ XD so hey you guys!! Im 13 and IVE NEVER COSPLAYED.....EVER!!!! (so sad isnt it..) well now I'm goin to fix that!!! Im supposed to be going to my first con this summer!!! But Im black (no wait, *checks hand* Im brown) so I was wondering....will I get ignored or treated differently than white cosplayers?? And what should I expect when I go??

Also, Im going to be cosplaying ITALY~ (ve~) from hetalia, so I know that I'm going to look weird in that wig, and i wanted to know if anyone could find a wig that isnt very red, but more light brownish...so that i wont look so unatural!!!

(P.S, The con I'm going to is COLOSSALCON!!!..I have another thread for that too...just saying!!)
Well plz respond!! byebye!!!
Pastaloving Me~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
emmisu
King of Toast

The vast majority of cosplayers are very inclusive, and your ethnicity should never stop you from cosplaying!
As long as you feel comfortable, nobody should say anything to you haha

Some of the most fantastic and beautiful cosplayers on this site are african american and you can always look to them for examples of how to make things work for you

So basically, don't be so worried! Bring a friend and have a good time and cosplay Italy! Anybody who treats you different isn't worth talking to, but I rarely hear about that kind of thing outside of anonymous internet comments.

As far as a wig for Italy... you could go a redder or darker brown, depending on what you're comfortable with. I'm sure the accurate would look fine too.

I use cosplaywig on ebay a lot, they're really good about it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-40cm-F... em5d36411fc7

that one might work?

Good luck! And have so much fun beginning cosplay!

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
ShadowCharizard
Pokétopia Master

First of all, you shouldn't be having caffeine at your age.

Secondly, no one will care or treat you differently if you don't "match" the race of the character you're cosplaying. Think of it this way: well over 90% of the characters themselves are (technically) Asian. Cosplayers are easily the most welcoming and supportive people you will ever meet. Like, ever. No one's given me any problems / attitude about cosplaying outside my race. Well, not to my face...who knows what people think? And frankly, who really cares? Having said that, someone did confuse my Wes (Pokemon Colosseum) cosplay for Static Shock XD but I lol'd and it was all good.

As for what you should be expecting at a con... Hm... Well, definitely expect to have fun. Panels are always a joy to attend. The dealers' room usually has lower prices on the last day of the con, BUT waiting for the last day can be a gamble, as all the good stuff might be gone by then. Seeing as how Hetalia is pretty popular, you'll probably get a good amount of attention. Be wary of glompers (people who tackle-hug cosplayers). This is all very generic con stuff, as I've never been to Colossalcon. When I'm attending a new con, I always look up videos of past years on Youtube to get a feel for it.

*exhale* Boy, that was more than I thought I'd say. Hopefully it won't come across as a boring wall of text.
ShadowCharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
The vast majority of cosplayers are very inclusive, and your ethnicity should never stop you from cosplaying!
As long as you feel comfortable, nobody should say anything to you haha

Some of the most fantastic and beautiful cosplayers on this site are african american and you can always look to them for examples of how to make things work for you

So basically, don't be so worried! Bring a friend and have a good time and cosplay Italy! Anybody who treats you different isn't worth talking to, but I rarely hear about that kind of thing outside of anonymous internet comments.

As far as a wig for Italy... you could go a redder or darker brown, depending on what you're comfortable with. I'm sure the accurate would look fine too.

I use cosplaywig on ebay a lot, they're really good about it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-40cm-F... em5d36411fc7

that one might work?

Good luck! And have so much fun beginning cosplay!
^This.

The words that are in bold is something to live by in the cosplay world. If anyone tells you otherwise they are mistaken and is most likely ignorant. Also just like Emmisu said, I seen some beautiful cosplays done by African Americans on here.

I'm happy that you are doing Italy from Hetalia. He's a great character to do

There's a lot of good places to get a wig. If you want to check some wig sites check out the Commissioner thread. Here's the link for the thread- http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=105758

I don't know your budge, but I heard Arda wigs sell high quality wigs. (However I don't think they style the wig) So in your case I would look at sites or ebay sellers that are know to be trustworthy.

Oh yes, watch out of the glompers. Not trying to scare you, but ShadowCharizard is right about them. O.o Also watching some youtube videos about con, it will give you a better idea of what cons are like. Specially Acksonl videos are really good. It won't also hurt to read the con's website and learn the rules too.

Paasta~

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Last edited by Voodoo Doll : 02-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

I'm black and I saw plenty of cosplayers of my skin color at my first mini-con^^ and we're the same age. But yeah, I agree with what everybody said. As for your wig problem, find the right shade of red/brown that doesn't clash with your skin. Don't forget a wig cap/hairnet! Also, stay away from Party City wigs. They're awful quality (they shed, they tangle, don't fit, hard to style, ugly overall)

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 0%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Race doesn't matter. Yes, there might be one or two ignorant jerks that'll make a comment, but most people won't care about your race, and will think you look awesome. And there is definitely a community of cosplayers out there that adjust wig colors to better compliment their skin tones. I remember in an issue of layers, they did a poll and i believe about 30% of Japanese cosplayers picked wigs to compliment their skin tones. So to sum it all up, people aren't going to care about your race, and if anyone does give you a hard time, tell them that if they have nothing better to do than be racist towards a 13-year-old, they REALLY need to get a life.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
JustACostume

Your race doesn't change anything like many people have said. Since I am 13 myself and a Hetalia cosplayer, I just want to say don't be one of the Hetalia people I have seen dropping flags on the ground, and making light of war, not only does it add to a bad stereotype of Hetalia cosplayers, it adds to a bad stereotype of young cosplayers as well.
JustACostume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
sakythia

Race should never stop you from cosplaying! I know sometimes you may feel uncomfortable just because you are cosplaying some one with a different skin tone but it doesn't matter. Cosplaying is for fun, not for judging people based on how accurate their cosplay is. I have been to 12 cons and not once have I been racially discriminated against just because I am black. The only thing that matters is that you are having fun.

As for the wig, I would either order from either arda-wigs.com/ (I have been referred and recommend to them multiple times) or epiccosplay.com/ (I order from them ALOT and they sell nice quality wigs and ship VERY quickly)

Just remember, not every one who goes to cons aren't nice so be careful with your actions. If someone is giving you a hard time, just ignore them and move along. No one should ruin a convention for you. Just remember, have fun and be safe!
sakythia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
aimee
it's a sparkly!

To be honest, there are a lot of mean people in the world who (mostly behind your back anonymously online) might say rude things. Not just because you "aren't white"... this happens to anyone who cosplays. I get picked on because I'm tall. People get picked on for their weight, too. This doesn't mean that those people are right or that they should stop you from cosplaying what you want.

I think you're wise to think about wig colors that might look most flattering for you. I personally have a kindof pinkish undertone to my skin so a lot of blonde and pink wigs don't look good on me, so I have to look around a bit. You might find it helpful to get some wig swatch rings from various companies you might be considering. I found this really helpful a lot. it's a bit pricey, but if you are going to be cosplaying a lot for years, it's worth it!

The bottom line in cosplay is that it is supposed to be fun. You're doing it because you love the character so much. and as others have said, people who are jerks are not worth your time.

You might find this article by Chaka interesting:
http://www.xojane.com/issues/mad-bac...edium=facebook
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Amanita

I read that article by Chaka, and found myself wanting to slap some racist trolls. Dear gods, some people can be such idiots, and it sucks that anyone would be so crass as to even think those sorts of things, let alone say them.

She looks amazing in those costumes, and I'm glad that she's not letting some racist twits stop her.

To the OP, don't let fear of haters stop you! Whether you choose to go for strict accuracy in terms of hair and eye color, or tweak those elements for a more "natural" look, or even re-imagine the character (What would your character look like if they were black, for example), it's all good. Go for it and let the haters go pluck themselves.

(I like how Chaka's article mentioned how "accuracy" is used as an excuse to trash on and shut down both people of color and people of size- sad but true!)
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, Chaka's article has been making the rounds of a lot of costuming communities and Facebooks. I'm glad, because she's very honest and open about what does really happen, that some of us who haven't experienced prejudice of any kind (race, weight, height, beauty, etc) might not realize.

But the very fact that this is out in public, and being discussed on public forums, is already a good thing. If we, as cosplayers, don't realize that we might be unconsciously being racist or jerkish toward people for a reason that really doesn't matter, something like this should open our eyes. I'm glad for it.

So, Pasta, do your best on your costume and wear it and have fun. It's your very first costume, so you'll learn a lot in the process of putting it together. Wear it with pride and be the best you can be.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
ArdentTenue

Cosplay whichever character you want.

As for the best dark skinned anime character in my opinion, it would have to be, Kaname Tousen. He didn't play a huge roll in the bleach anime series, but he was diffidently pretty bad ass. As well as he would look awesome cosplayed.
ArdentTenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

As everyone has said, don't let your race stop you from cosplaying. It's supposed to be a fun hobby. Of course you will get the nay sayers who want to talk down about you, but their opinion, as said, is usually delivered behind your back, so it doesn't matter anyway. I think at some point all of use experience a little negativity (I got a good deal of it on the Panty and Stocking Facebook last year because I wasn't living up to peoples' expectations of Stocking while they praised my friends as Panty and Garterbelt), but if you surround yourself with people that have positive attitudes and put your heart into creating a good costume, all the negativity gets canceled out.

I saw the article Amanita and CapsuleCorp mentioned, and I agree with them about it. What was said in it needs to be shared with the masses because not everyone has the same experience with the prejudices that might occur.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Rangiku12
&lt;3 Old School &lt;3

Number one thing you have to expect is the rude comments. If you don't they will show up and ruin you. You got to learn some ppl are singled minded and just ignore them. Trust me I know I've only done 3 cosplays,1 con and got racist comments a week after.

Ebay and local wig shops are good if your on a budget and can't afford Arda wigs.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
trmbngrl
Britt

I'm really sensitive (And I have a wider body type, not exactly the same but I get comments sometimes) And DON'T LISTEN TO THE INTERNET! Just DON'T! Cosplay as characters that YOU identify with and don't listen to what people have to say if they aren't nice. A lot of cosplayers are super supportive and such, and I find that a lot of the body and accuracy snark comes from those who don't even cosplay (or are really insecure cosplayers who would rather bash people for stuff they can't change than improve themselves).
I'm sure you'll be absolutely adorable as Italy!
Side note. Don't EVER feel bad about editing certain parts of an outfit to better compliment you. Your body is part of your outfit which is why you should present yourself in your best light! A wig that might be a bit 'off' in color to others opinions is gonna look way better than one that doesn't compliment your skin tone. But that's just what it is, THEIR opinion on YOUR art/hobby.
All in all we're a really supportive group of folks for the most part and don't let anyone's criticisms stop you from doing what you like.
Also to me Chaka is one of the most amazing Sailor Moon cosplayers out there. I mean look at her freaking shoujo legs!! @__@
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote