Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
LokiHiddles

Why you SHOULD wear makeup in cosplay

Sorry if this is a bad place to put this, but I feel this doesn't directly pertain to makeup techniques and such...

Long story shorter, my mom is against me buying makeup for cosplay, because she thinks it will attract creepy pedophiles, since she thinks that is somehow the point of the hobby. (I had a former friend do my character's makeup at the time.) Plus she pulls that 'You're naturally gorgeous card' all the time. I want to look the absolute best in my costume however and POP, it doesn't look as good when I'm washed out and pimple-faced.

I know, I know; 'It's your mom's money, she doesn't have to spend it on her kid's hobby.' but she is more than willing to spend it on department store makeup for my prom, against my will, but not cheapo drugstore makeup. And I uh, can't get a job for health reasons...

Anyway, I didn't come here to rant. Since she'll most likely listen to reason, what are the reasons YOU wear makeup for cosplay? Do you have any comparisons of cosplays with and without makeup? Or even the other way around?
(By the way my name is Victoria, I'm a highschool senior in Hawaii and I'm sorta new on here. But not so new to the convention scene)
LokiHiddles is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
KatyCruel

I always wear makeup for cosplay - ALWAYS. Even for characters like Merida who don't actually wear makeup for a couple reasons:
1. Lighting at conventions is notoriously terrible (unless you're in a photoshoot) and if you don't at least have a good foundation on, EVERYTHING will be visible.
2. Some aspects of some characters just can't be done without makeup if you don't already have it. Taking Merida as an example again, she is ginger - and not only has ginger eyebrows, but brown eyelashes. I have neither of these, and without makeup, could not achieve these. Being ginger, she also has a somewhat uneven skintone - which I also have, but not in a way I can consistently replicate - and freckles - which I don't have.

Basically makeup in cosplay isn't necessarily about making yourself prettier or better-looking - it's about imitating a character.

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

As far as the 'naturally gorgeous' thing goes, I'd just explain that while you are naturally gorgeous a little bit of make up will help enhance your natural gorgeousness.

Explain how photography works and how some make up will prevent your face from being washed out so your lovely face can be seen.

As far as the safety issue is concerned you're no more at risk then any other teenage girl that puts on make up.

And if you want a before and after comparison this was taken from Sushi Monster's cosplay make up tutorial.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

I wear makeup when I'm trying to look more like a man than I already do.

Also how are your eyes supposed to kawaii sparkle desu if they're competing with how shiny your face is? UNSAT.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Just reading through this. Don't most high school girls wear make-up, at least from time to time? That just makes this whole "attracting pedophiles" thing sound really strange to me.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Lithium Flower
Handphones

If your at an age when your parent still controls you to that extent I don't think any anonymous random people on an internet forum have business telling your mom how to raise you.

Though I will say makeup isn't what attracts pedophiles...it's them being pedophiles not little kids all dressed up. So uh not sure how she's going to handle that one.

If it's something your really set on I think it's important to make the distinction that this is a costume and not who you are every day.

Otherwise I am going to advise you find a way to make your own money and go wild.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

While I will definitely say that makeup is what takes a cosplay to the next level, please do not buy cheap cosmetic products. They are extremely harmful in any way possible.
You should definitely show your mom the Before After picture above so she can see what difference it makes.
Cosplay is not a competition, it for having fun. We all know that. But we also know you want to look as best as possible.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiHiddles View Post
Sorry if this is a bad place to put this, but I feel this doesn't directly pertain to makeup techniques and such...

Long story shorter, my mom is against me buying makeup for cosplay, because she thinks it will attract creepy pedophiles, since she thinks that is somehow the point of the hobby. (I had a former friend do my character's makeup at the time.) Plus she pulls that 'You're naturally gorgeous card' all the time. I want to look the absolute best in my costume however and POP, it doesn't look as good when I'm washed out and pimple-faced.

I know, I know; 'It's your mom's money, she doesn't have to spend it on her kid's hobby.' but she is more than willing to spend it on department store makeup for my prom, against my will, but not cheapo drugstore makeup. And I uh, can't get a job for health reasons...

Anyway, I didn't come here to rant. Since she'll most likely listen to reason, what are the reasons YOU wear makeup for cosplay? Do you have any comparisons of cosplays with and without makeup? Or even the other way around?
(By the way my name is Victoria, I'm a highschool senior in Hawaii and I'm sorta new on here. But not so new to the convention scene)

Uh... I don't think make up has much to do with pedophiles as it is more of an adult thing to do/use...

But I agree with everyone else on how make up can enhance your natural features. Also, as far as cheap store make up goes, being that you're a teenager, some of the department store lines will probably be better for you. Clinque is a line specifically for various skin types and ethnicities. It should help with your skin during your teen and after years for oil control, acne, etc. Supposedly the regular store brand stuff can be bad for you but I'm not really a make up expert so yeah...
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Male, female, young, old, whatever. Makeup helps everyone as long as it is used right. It helps fulfill illusions and in the end, makes the donner of the costume more like the character they aim to be.

Clowns wear makeup. Kinds during halloween wear makeup. Actors and actresses wear makeup, whether or not they need it. Makeup is, no pun intended here... the foundation of a good cosplay.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Pretty much if you don't wear makeup, you'll be washed out when you have photos taken of you. A little foundation, some eyeliner and mascara can go a long ways. Plus it will hide any blemishes, red spots that no one wants in photos.

Also I find that doing makeup can really add that little something extra to the character you are cosplaying. I feel i can really make myself look more like the character through makeup.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Being that I am a MtF cross-player, makeup is pretty important to me in terms of achieving a little bit more realistic effect. A little bit of foundation, some blush, mascara and eyeliner does wonders in helping me to achieve a slightly more feminine appearance, though I will never achieve 100% success, it certainly helps a lot!
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I've gotten the same question from a parent why it's so important as to why I wear makeup, and honestly the best response I've ever given in the way of it isn't justifying that it's potentially is/is not alluring to other people, but instead that it's more for yourself.

Cosplay's an art. Costume and hair is only a very little fraction actually of what makes a cosplay unique or makes it shine above the rest, makeup is what does it. And it's another way of showing off your skill to other people by how well you pull it off. I cosplay males and I will tell you right now I would look nothing like a man if I didn't use foundation, concealer, powder, eyeshadow, liner and toner to help manipulate my features to give the illusion of being something that I am not. You don't ask a painter after all why they use color to paint their canvas. It's true, we all have natural beauty. But we're part of the costuming world and makeup is part of the trade.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I'll toss mine out there because I don't wear makeup... ever. Makes my face itch my #1 reason. I hate stuff on my face and near my eye, no thank you.

BUT There are good reasons and they are all up there.
I'm not sure why your mom thinks makeup attracts pedos....... I mean I think I know why but that's another story

Try asking your mom if she will get you BBcreams to start with .... even I don't conciser this product makeup, it is tinted moisturizer. She be forced to look at the makeup on the way to get BBcreams . it's a start right?

Makeup has to be used correctly, it's easy to mess it up. I see makeup usage in cosplay as 'you show up better in a photograph' and that is over all true. acne is another story, I find sometimes makeup may make bad acne stand out more.
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
maybemelancholy
{risa}

I personally believe make up isn't completely necessary in cosplaying, but is certainly big detail in your costume that shouldn't be over looked. It's used not just to enhance beauty, but make up can be used to contour your face to look more like the character. There are some facial features that we need to emphasize to imitate the characters.
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
pinkkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagilbirds View Post
please do not buy cheap cosmetic products. They are extremely harmful in any way possible.
This is not true.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote