Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Boning - What Works For You?

Ack I dunno if this has been started yet or not but Boning! What have you guys found that works well for you and what has been a pain in the buns to use?

I'm working on a more simplistic corset with a zipper in the front and some boning, but I don't know what to use? I understand it said 1/4 inch covered, but there are two different covers: One's 1/2 inch and one is 5/8 inch.

For reference: This is a picture of the corset I am making. And here is the pattern itself

Basically what I am asking is for recommendations. And I also want to hear what anyone thinks of Flexicurve. Has anyone used it? Do you like it?

Thanks everyone!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood!
lovesexnpocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Overall, I'm not a fan of plastic boning of any type. To keep up the shape, I prefer spiral steel boning. It's still flexible, but it's also going to hold stronger. Plastic boning tends to distort with any body heat and doesn't seem to really hold up for a long time. I would suggest measuring you seams and rounding down 1/2" and ordering spiral steel bones if you want your corset to keep its shape. That's my opinion anyway.
Mehdia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
LKD
Is a princess!!

Those patterns are not functional corsets btw. The sizing is made to fit you as your body is.

For basic bodices, the big zip ties work ten times better than plastic boning and don't warp like they do. They cost like $5 and last eeeh like two or three bodices. I use them if I'm out of time or funds or if something needs to be made washable.

However because they are thicker they don't do extreme curves and show up a bit more.

Steel boning is good to support the lacing whether its it the front or back.

Spiral steel is a must if you want to reduce since it bends along the curve of corsets. They cost around 30 cents to 70 cents depending on the length, with shipping you end up paying around $20 for a one bone per seam bodice.
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
Those patterns are not functional corsets btw. The sizing is made to fit you as your body is.

For basic bodices, the big zip ties work ten times better than plastic boning and don't warp like they do. They cost like $5 and last eeeh like two or three bodices. I use them if I'm out of time or funds or if something needs to be made washable.

However because they are thicker they don't do extreme curves and show up a bit more.

Steel boning is good to support the lacing whether its it the front or back.

Spiral steel is a must if you want to reduce since it bends along the curve of corsets. They cost around 30 cents to 70 cents depending on the length, with shipping you end up paying around $20 for a one bone per seam bodice.
Going by the label of what the pattern says. TRUST ME haha I know what a true corset should be! Considering the person I am making it for won't wear it for anything but a convention, I don't want her to shell out large sums of money on a nice corset. A costume one done nicely should work for the purpose

I think I want to go with spiral steel. I just need to determine how long to get it, and so on, but it's worth it in the long run. It may be a costume but she would likely slouch and bend something. Thanks for the insight! (Zip ties, really? Love it )

Unread 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Overall, I'm not a fan of plastic boning of any type. To keep up the shape, I prefer spiral steel boning. It's still flexible, but it's also going to hold stronger. Plastic boning tends to distort with any body heat and doesn't seem to really hold up for a long time. I would suggest measuring you seams and rounding down 1/2" and ordering spiral steel bones if you want your corset to keep its shape. That's my opinion anyway.
Hey, I asked for opinions! I am no expert in this category, that's for sure! However this isn't what would be called a proper corset anyway, it's more for show and shape. I'm taking the idea of spiral steel boning! I think I know where I am gonna buy it at but are there places I should avoid or that you recommend? Thanks again for the help!

Unread 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
LKD
Is a princess!!

corsetmaking.com is where I buy mine They come in like three days across the country

tutu.com is also awesome but I think they're going under renovations but if you go on their FB, they have information on how to order I think they have a sale because of it

You can buy it by the roll and tip them yourself as well. I'm not that strong for cutting wires or anything for that matter..dainty weak muscles haha so I just buy them pre-tipped and individual~

BTW. Does anyone have any information on reed boning? I'm curious seeing as its sold there.

Last edited by LKD : 02-25-2013 at 08:26 PM.
LKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I totally agree with corsetmaking.com That's where I get any and everything for corsets.

And even when I'm not making a body shaping corset, I prefer steel boning just because it doesn't bend and warp under body heat. It will keep the shape of your bodice all day long no matter what. It just gives a prettier line^^
Mehdia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
lovesexnpocky
Add that to the tally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
--
You guys, thanks so much for your help! Heading there and planning to buy a ten yard roll for what, $8? (I know it's supposed to be 1/4")

You've been so patient with me I really appreciate it! <3

Last edited by lovesexnpocky : 02-26-2013 at 07:29 PM.