Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #46
Diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantCanuck View Post
Aw, I'm really sad that happened for you! D: I had a pretty nice time, made friends and even got on citytv news....sorry, I'm giddy about it still so I keep repeating it...
Hmmm this is why I've been debating going. I feel the *urge* to go... be in that atmosphere with other fans, maybe meet some cool people if I have the guts to say hi lol... But it truly is a role of the dice as to whether you'll have a good experience or not. There's only a couple hours left... Should I go? Or should I spend some dedicated time in solitude to entertaining myself with media and work on my costume (which I typically don't have much time to do)?

Unread 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #47
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Here are all my Comicon/MTAC 2013 pics.

Enjoy!

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
Limeyaku
First-Mate

I went in costume, drove 2 hours, paid for parking and was turned away at the door because it was sold out and they weren't letting anyone else in for the day.

Then I learned that two friends when a half hour and an hour after me and bought tickets on site and got in no problem.

Hobbystar/FanExpo continues to F over their customers.
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
Rhapsados
Real Life Prince

To be honest, there wasn't much going on inside, so you didn't miss much at all.

The security made my experience HORRIBLE. They told me the wristband I was wearing wasn't visible enough so the security guard grabbed me by my wig and dragged me by it and almost pulled it off! It was ridiculous. He was almost two heads taller than me, so I don't see why he even felt the need to do that.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #50
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I was able to get in after the tickets sold out, thanks to receiving an extra press badge from a friend. Beyond loitering on the registration level with cosplaying friends for a bit, I didn't check out the actual convention at all; I was on a mission to meet Sean Astin, and got my LOTR Blu-rays signed. The line was handled pretty well, and I managed to spot nearly all of the Star Trek: TNG cast along the way. Since the Sean Astin line extended beyond the curtain backdrops in front of which the guests were stationed, I actually managed to spot a few actors leaving their autograph sessions while behind the curtain. Patrick Stewart passed right by and I heard his magical voice saying "move aside!" cheerfully, since he needed to cut through our line with his three helpers.

Even though my time there was spent solely in line for autographs and I booked it out of there as fast as I could when I was done, it was worth it. Generally more relaxed than Fan Expo. Kind of glad I didn't browse the dealer's room though, it seemed a bit crowded (and I saved myself from being -$170 from that Good Smile Madoka my friend told me was in the dealer's room somewhere).

Side note: I could really do without the attention-magnet Daleks making massive traffic jams, after seeing them being kind of a nuisance in the much smaller hallways of Con-G. :| No offense Daleks, but you're hard to maneuver around. Some cons aren't made for bulky cosplays.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Last edited by Angathol : 03-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #51
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Call me a party-pooper but those Daleks freak me out. Loud noise scare me and those air guns are not quite. They also move slowly and in a crowded space annoy everyone in the dealer's room.

Anyways, on topic...

As I was stuck manning my Plushie workshop both days I didn't see much of the con. I did a quick walk around the artist alley and saw all the great stuff. I didn't see many cosplayers though I think they were all upstairs somewhere or outside or anywhere other than near my workshop tables.

The downside to working a con means you don't get to experience it.
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #52
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post

As I was stuck manning my Plushie workshop both days I didn't see much of the con. I did a quick walk around the artist alley and saw all the great stuff. I didn't see many cosplayers though I think they were all upstairs somewhere or outside or anywhere other than near my workshop tables.

The downside to working a con means you don't get to experience it.
Thank you for putting on the plushy workshop! It was a very nice break from the con for my friend and I I hope you didn't have to stay to late and got off at 4 like you wanted

The con was what I expected. I got there around 10:45 so I no issues with getting tickets. Once the doors opened the line moved well too. Seeing all the rented out space being used to set up entrance lines was very annoying, especially since I felt there was not a lot of programming, and that space could have been used better. This con was more of an excuse to wear lolita and meet up with a friend then anything else. We spend the whole day just walking around in circles looking at the same stuff (So basically since neither of us wanted autographs, the con seemed like a giant market).

I didn't have high hopes, thus I was not disappointed or too frustrated. It's always sad though when there are not many cosplayers.
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsados View Post
To be honest, there wasn't much going on inside, so you didn't miss much at all.

The security made my experience HORRIBLE. They told me the wristband I was wearing wasn't visible enough so the security guard grabbed me by my wig and dragged me by it and almost pulled it off! It was ridiculous. He was almost two heads taller than me, so I don't see why he even felt the need to do that.
... that would be assault, and that should be reported....

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
kawaiilove
I hate homestuck

I just ignore all negative comments to hobby star events lol.
I loved it! I had such a great time! And My boyfriend had never been to a con and it was his first one and he loved it as well!

kawaiilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #55
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

I like to make the best of things, especially when I go to the trouble of making a trip out to Toronto, so I did enjoy the con, I didn't get a satuday ticket, because I was in that line for an hour without being told they were already sold out already, made me miffed. In the end I bought a Sunday ticket and a general admission to the TNG cast sat. evening event. Both of which I enjoyed, I went to some of the Q&As and went up to talk to Sean Astin, to which we both geeked over the Disc World series and talked about Miramar NZ since we've both lived there, until we were told to stop talking as the line behind was growing.

I made the best of it, but I simply can't excuse Hobbystar's lack of care anymore. They continue to plan poorly for the crowds that they know they will draw in and hire terribly untrained security and staff to manage it. Hate to say it, but I'm not going to be apart of these fiascos anymore.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #56
zeekayart
derp

my weekend generally went okay, artist alley went fine but i won't be doing it again 'cause it wasn't really my crowd to sell at, but glad i did it so i don't have to worry about doing fanexpo this year. the only staff interaction i had was asking them where to line up for brad swaile's autograph, they told me to line up in front and i stood there... and then noticed the much much longer line behind the curtain. which i proceeded to wait 2 hours for. sigh.

my artist alley friend did well, it was his first con selling at and he was really happy he broke even, but his car was broken into after the con and all of his artist alley earning were stolen, as well as all his electronics he brought. we filed a report, and left feeling shell-shocked. never leave valuables in your cars, guys, especially in the parking garage at 200 queens quay west. other cars were broken into in there too. to cap it all off when i removed my makeup at night i was so tired i accidently used nail polish remover instead of my baby oil to remove my eye makeup. so i think i said "oh my god" about 50 times yesterday.
☐ ConBravo!
☐ Otakuthon
☐ Youmacon

2014 Costume Plans
?????????????????i

Last edited by zeekayart : 03-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.
zeekayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #57
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
So we didn't get in today because it was sold out but we got tickets for tomorrow... it was like the worst day ever... i'm so mad... we'll go tomorrow and try to enjoy but we're not going to DTAC... and we're only going to FanExpo because its in summer and we already have tickets and plans for the masquerade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeyaku View Post
I went in costume, drove 2 hours, paid for parking and was turned away at the door because it was sold out and they weren't letting anyone else in for the day.

Then I learned that two friends when a half hour and an hour after me and bought tickets on site and got in no problem.

Hobbystar/FanExpo continues to F over their customers.
This is what I was afraid of. Even if I get a VIP pass there's a chance they would still be sold out and not getting in, At which point I would have wasted Greyhound bus fare. >_>

I'd like to support Wizard world but They are mostly North American comics orientated. I'm not sure if the want to any of my Anime/Manga cosplays there.

I'm surprised you eyes went sting from a the acetone zeekayart, unless yours was acetone free.

By any chance did 200 queens quay has security camera. This is not a deterrent in Toronto but it does help with catching them.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 03-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekayart View Post
my artist alley friend did well, it was his first con selling at and he was really happy he broke even, but his car was broken into after the con and all of his artist alley earning were stolen, as well as all his electronics he brought. we filed a report, and left feeling shell-shocked. never leave valuables in your cars, guys, especially in the parking garage at 200 queens quay west. other cars were broken into in there too.
OMG, that's a block away from where I parked (the cash-only parking garage just north of Harbourfront Centre).

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
zeekayart
derp

seiryuux, yeah we were very close to the convention centre. both cars we saw in our lot that got broken into were honda civics near the lights. we left for dinner at 5:30, came back at 6:45, and within that time the car was broken into. can't believe the weekend ended like that.

ani_bee, it had acetone in it, my eye was stinging and i had to flush it out for about 5 minutes. i only used it on the top part of my eye so it wasn't that bad... until i started to rub it in and it dripped in my eye and i was wondering why my baby oil smelled nothing like baby oil and my eye was stinging lol. and it was funny because about 15 minutes before taking off my makeup i was reading a post on tumblr that was detailing safety concerns in constructing cosplay with costumes and props. i messed up the least dangerous part of cosplay!! ahhh.

edit: my full review and pictures are here on my tumblr: http://zeekayart.tumblr.com/post/45087766788
☐ ConBravo!
☐ Otakuthon
☐ Youmacon

2014 Costume Plans
?????????????????i

Last edited by zeekayart : 03-11-2013 at 11:47 AM.
zeekayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

I went grocery shopping with my parents yesterday and I saw my friend's mom there and went to say "hi!" and chat with her a little; and ask how things were doing and I asked where she (my friend) was, and turns out she was at ComicCon. I figured she'd be there with her mom as well or at home. But I guess reading what others have said about this con, turns out I didn't miss anything o.o' ? Btw, i'm sorry to those who had a bad time D: !

Scarlet Witch (Avengers 2) - Finished!
Black Widow (Captain America 2) - In progress
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2) - On hold

Others:
Black Widow (civilian alternate) - In progress, 20%
Black Widow (civilian alternate #2) - On hold
zeochan is offline   Reply With Quote