Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Simple cosplay make-up for someone with zero make-up experience?

Alright, after a certain make-up thread on this forum the other day I really got thinking, would it actually improve my cosplays if I wore a little make-up?? I came to the conclusion that yes, it probably would.
I'm not the prettiest girl around and I often thought even make-up couldn't save me so I never bothered but I've seen some pretty amazing before/after photos so maybe it is quite possible to make some improvement.

Only problem is... I don't even know where to start with make-up? I've briefly tried applying eyeliner before and it's never ever ended well, what's the trick to actually getting eyeliner onto the top lid properly? It always looks horrific when I try it. Is it easier/more effective to use the pencil or liquid types?

The only real experience I have with make-up comes from using it to add features on top of facepaint which is really sorta a whole different deal. I've drawn on eyebrows and contoured the face in these cases though but when it comes to 'normal' make-up, I'm entirely stumped.

What kind of make-up should I look into if I want a 'natural' cute sorta look for cute female anime type cosplays?

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

if u have never done make up before, id go to sephora or the like and have them show you how to do products. they might make u buy something but they will help u like no other. also check out tutorials online, tho personally i dont like them due to my face type not being common.
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

I have been learning makeup myself, and there are quite a few gurus on youtube that help a lot.

Some tips I have that I have learned:

- Buy a makeup mirror. One with a standard view, as well as roughly a 5X magnifier.
- When applying eyeliner, look down into a mirror, it makes it a lot easier. I am still kind of sloppy with it, but it definitely helped my twitching eyes applying.
- To add a little more "plump" to the lips, add a bit of white liner at the cupid's bow of the lip, and directly below it on the lower lip, and pat it in. adding a bit of shadow underneath the lips *very little* helps the lip look plumpier too.
- Get a face primer. It evens out the skin with a smooth canvas for the contouring and/or foundation. I have little skin imperfections on my face, but using a primer really makes the skin look smooth once a foundation is applied. (I have some from Elf, works great.)
- Set a moisturizer before you put on your face primer. ( I have a stick from ELF. Works great also.)
- Little is more. If you want to go for natural, just sponging a few dabs should be well enough. Too much will build up a bad cakey look.
- Match your skin tone. Go to a macys and visit a makeup stand. I personally went to the Lancome booth, and got my skin matched. Once you have a skin match, you can get a sample size that you can take home.
- Exfoliate your skin once in a while. It helps the smoothness. Always follow up with a moisturizer.

And this is some of the basic things I have learned myself.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
if u have never done make up before, id go to sephora or the like and have them show you how to do products. they might make u buy something but they will help u like no other. also check out tutorials online, tho personally i dont like them due to my face type not being common.
Ah, I've thought about this but truth is, I hate getting into these kind of situations... I'm not good at handling stuff like that, I guess I'm just not good at social stuff u__u;
I've watched a few tutorials before but they always seem to assume prior knowledge on how to put the make-up on which is where I struggle... nothing for absolute beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
I have been learning makeup myself, and there are quite a few gurus on youtube that help a lot.

Some tips I have that I have learned:

- Buy a makeup mirror. One with a standard view, as well as roughly a 5X magnifier.
- When applying eyeliner, look down into a mirror, it makes it a lot easier. I am still kind of sloppy with it, but it definitely helped my twitching eyes applying.
- To add a little more "plump" to the lips, add a bit of white liner at the cupid's bow of the lip, and directly below it on the lower lip, and pat it in. adding a bit of shadow underneath the lips *very little* helps the lip look plumpier too.
- Get a face primer. It evens out the skin with a smooth canvas for the contouring and/or foundation. I have little skin imperfections on my face, but using a primer really makes the skin look smooth once a foundation is applied. (I have some from Elf, works great.)
- Set a moisturizer before you put on your face primer. ( I have a stick from ELF. Works great also.)
- Little is more. If you want to go for natural, just sponging a few dabs should be well enough. Too much will build up a bad cakey look.
- Match your skin tone. Go to a macys and visit a makeup stand. I personally went to the Lancome booth, and got my skin matched. Once you have a skin match, you can get a sample size that you can take home.
- Exfoliate your skin once in a while. It helps the smoothness. Always follow up with a moisturizer.

And this is some of the basic things I have learned myself.
Oh oh thank you a lot for all of the tips!! Eyeliner is definitely what I struggle with most in my attempts so I'll especially have to try the mirror trick

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Not a problem white cat. Yeah, eyeliner is a pest on the upper lid for me. Looking straight into the mirror for the waterline is childs play for me now, but I definitely have on and off trouble with the upper lid. I think it is because I just don't have a shape idea, and my wand pretty much doesn't glide easily on my dry lids. *It's an eyeko one too, high end, so I dunno, it isn't exactly dropping liner down on my lids easily without a bit of shaking too*.... so maybe I need to try my luck again with another liner.

But yeah, looking down into a mirror is from what I see, the universal eyeliner beauty trick.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Not a problem white cat. Yeah, eyeliner is a pest on the upper lid for me. Looking straight into the mirror for the waterline is childs play for me now, but I definitely have on and off trouble with the upper lid. I think it is because I just don't have a shape idea, and my wand pretty much doesn't glide easily on my dry lids. *It's an eyeko one too, high end, so I dunno, it isn't exactly dropping liner down on my lids easily without a bit of shaking too*.... so maybe I need to try my luck again with another liner.

But yeah, looking down into a mirror is from what I see, the universal eyeliner beauty trick.
Yeah, I can manage the waterline but the upper lid is what I want to do most... that always tends to make the eye look really nice when it's done properly. Do you use pencil or liquid type? (I can't tell from your posts, sorry)
I've only tried pencil which I didn't really like the pressure of having to press down onto my eye to apply... I feel like liquid might be easier too because it would flow better but it could also be messier?
Thanks a lot for the advice again!

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Unread 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Lately, I been trying liquid, which is what the eyeko is. If you saw my posts, you can probably see a recent one how bad I am with liner up top, lol. However, for the waterline, a pencil works really good. I think I am going to probably start outlining with liquid, and filling in with pencil, since pencil is less of a hassle, but liquid makes a fine point.

The liquid one I have just doesn't send out the liquid as much as it should I think. Many times I have moved it along my eyelid, it didn't leave liner behind, but when it DID, it dried really fast, which was good.

I am personally still in the testing phase of liner to see what works for me, but I definitely think I am going to do tails and such with the liquid, and pencil along the lid and fill-ins, since the thin point isn't too ideal for filling in, and a pencil doesn't achieve that kind of a tail that liquid can.

Liquid can be messier depending on the brand. Like I said, my eyeko one.... dries fast, so not so messy, but I have tried others, like maybelline, where it took a bit longer and got messy.

Also to add, which others have told me.... white liner inside your eyes adds to making your eyes look bigger.

Just practice with it. Might take a few tubes and pencils, but you can do it!

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

If you want to get some of the basics without feeling overwhelmed, I'd recommend going on YouTube and checking the "no-makeup makeup" tutorials on there. Here's Lisa Eldridge's version; she's an awesome makeup artist with lots of tips. Remember, you don't need to use the same products they use!

From there, you can experiment with different products and find out which looks/techniques work for different cosplays. Add a little more eye liner/contour color/blush/gloss, etc. where it works, and you'll look great. Don't worry if your makeup doesn't look "right" the first few times, you'll get comfortable with applying it the more you practice. Have fun and good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
sillymyway

While I'm nowhere near a make up expertise, I picked up a few tips from my sister.
She advised that liquid eyeliner go on the top lid, and pencil go on the waterline. You can also use pencil on the top, but for the love of all that is holy do not use liquid eyeliner on your waterline. I had a really bad experience where it seeped onto my eye and I had to get a q-tip to pick it out. It was like, really bad.
As for putting it on, I stretch out my eyelid by pulling it towards my ear. Especially with liquid eyeliner. If you don't stretch out your eye then it'll drip right onto your eye. You can put pencil eyeliner on the same way for the top lid. For the waterline, just pull it down and swipe the pencil over it.

As others have said, a little concealer and foundation is a nice way too hid blemishes and even out skin. Just don't go to over board. I use powder concealer after my foundation, but I have a makeup brush that I swipe over my face to make sure it doesn't look like I put on too much.
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames
New York Comic Convention

.:2014 Cosplays:.
Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gijinka! Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nagisa Hazuki (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Ravio ( LOZ: A Link Between Worlds)
Charlie Vergier (Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure)

sillymyway cosplay
sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

^ A friend told me never to pull your eyelid like that, because it could cause nasty effects in the future with wrinkles and such. Don't know how true it is, but she is a pretty big makeup buff, so I believe it. The kind of girl who casuals Sephora, lol.

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Actually, you don't need to pull the skin to apply liner. There are other methods. Here's one video tutorial using white liner as a guide. And here's another, using the nose and outside eye as a guide. She pulls her skin by her temple to stretch, rather than the eye skin itself. And here's a fun, two-toned liner look with gel liner and fine brush.
All of these are for "winged" liner looks, but the methods work if you don't want the wing.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

For eyeliner, I like using Maybelline's Eye Studio creme eyeliner with an angled eyeliner brush. I got my brush for about $14 at Sephora. A tad expensive sure, but I can't think of any scenario besides losing it that will make me have to buy another one anytime soon. ^^ Even though my eyelids are not the same and seem kinda...idk, wrinkly? especially around the outer edges which makes it hard to put eyeliner on evenly, I seem to do pretty well using a brush. I can even wing my eyeliner well. However, if I need it darker and more dramatic, like for cosplay, I dab the angled brush onto the applicator for a liquid eyeliner and use previously applied creme eyeliner as a guide. I find applying liquid eyeliner using only the applicator it came with to be very frustrating, and this is coming from someone who wears makeup every single time I'm out of the house. ^^; For foundation, I like Makeup Forever's HD Foundation. It comes in a lot of different shades, and the Sephora people can find your match if you ask. I get really nervous asking as well, but they're there to serve you. s^^Y

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - Making armor

Faize Sheifa Beleth - Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Working on bracers, rapier
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
Rurouni-Idoru

The Sushi Monster's tutorial basically changed my life, cosplay-wise. Even only using parts one and two will have noticeable results.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Too many replies here for me to quote and reply individually but THANK YOU everyone seriously, I'll be looking into all of this and trying new things out and hopefully finally get somewhere!

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Unread 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

This is good. I'm going to be hosting/teaching a class on makeup that's geared towards cosplay and photography at a convention in August. I will be making an interactive copy as well that will be available complete with tips and tricks. So I'm on here researching common problems cosplayers have with makeup, and not having any experience is a good concern I can add to my lecture. Thank you!