Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
why_00
Emileigh

I was in your exact same shoes a couple years ago. never used make-up and I had no clue on how to apply it. I was further discouraged because all my attempts looked horrible. I am by no means an expert now or anything but I've gotten a ton better and now wear it every day because I feel very pretty in it. What I found helped me was to research like crazy avout different make-up techniques and what looks good on what and then i asked several different friends to do my make-up. I didn't like what they did to me at all, but the important thing is that I learned that everyone applies it differently because everyone's face is different and you can also use bits of their advice to apply it to yourself. You're not going to be able to copy someone's exact routine and have it work for you. You've got to test it out for yourself and play with it.
Another thing that was hard for me to get over is the drastic change it made in my face. I'd almost always reject something. Even if it looked good, it was too different and i didn't like it. I just wasn't used to seeing my face with make-up on. That's another good reason to start testing it out on yourself a lot.

I personally recommend using just the drugstore stuff as you are testing things out. No it's not the best for you, but for me it came down to the money. Make-up products can get ridiculously expensive ridiculously quick. if that's not a factor for you then great! Sephora will be wonderful for you. However I've found that because the drug store brands are a lot cheaper they allow me to test out more things and learn how to apply stuff and what kinds of things I like. Now that I know these things I'm more comfortable blowing $50 just for a couple things at Sephora because I know they are quality products but also because I know I will use them and I know HOW to use them.

As for eye liner, I always hated pencils and I haven't been able to get liquid eyeliner to work for me yet. However I absolutely more the eyeliner that is like a mechanical pencil. It looks like one too. I don't have to fuss with how sharp or dull a pencil is or the eyeliner breaking in the sharpener and I also find it to be a lot smoother than most of the eyeliner pencils I've used. It's made a world of difference for me.

Haha, sorry for the wall of text, I just relate a lot with your situation
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFartsy View Post
This is good. I'm going to be hosting/teaching a class on makeup that's geared towards cosplay and photography at a convention in August. I will be making an interactive copy as well that will be available complete with tips and tricks. So I'm on here researching common problems cosplayers have with makeup, and not having any experience is a good concern I can add to my lecture. Thank you!
Good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_00 View Post
I was in your exact same shoes a couple years ago. never used make-up and I had no clue on how to apply it. I was further discouraged because all my attempts looked horrible. I am by no means an expert now or anything but I've gotten a ton better and now wear it every day because I feel very pretty in it. What I found helped me was to research like crazy avout different make-up techniques and what looks good on what and then i asked several different friends to do my make-up. I didn't like what they did to me at all, but the important thing is that I learned that everyone applies it differently because everyone's face is different and you can also use bits of their advice to apply it to yourself. You're not going to be able to copy someone's exact routine and have it work for you. You've got to test it out for yourself and play with it.
Another thing that was hard for me to get over is the drastic change it made in my face. I'd almost always reject something. Even if it looked good, it was too different and i didn't like it. I just wasn't used to seeing my face with make-up on. That's another good reason to start testing it out on yourself a lot.

I personally recommend using just the drugstore stuff as you are testing things out. No it's not the best for you, but for me it came down to the money. Make-up products can get ridiculously expensive ridiculously quick. if that's not a factor for you then great! Sephora will be wonderful for you. However I've found that because the drug store brands are a lot cheaper they allow me to test out more things and learn how to apply stuff and what kinds of things I like. Now that I know these things I'm more comfortable blowing $50 just for a couple things at Sephora because I know they are quality products but also because I know I will use them and I know HOW to use them.

As for eye liner, I always hated pencils and I haven't been able to get liquid eyeliner to work for me yet. However I absolutely more the eyeliner that is like a mechanical pencil. It looks like one too. I don't have to fuss with how sharp or dull a pencil is or the eyeliner breaking in the sharpener and I also find it to be a lot smoother than most of the eyeliner pencils I've used. It's made a world of difference for me.

Haha, sorry for the wall of text, I just relate a lot with your situation
Don't apologise, that was great advice! Thank you! Lucky for me I do have a reasonable supply of make-up that I have often recieved as gifts in magazines and from friends/family members that for some reason didn't catch onto the fact I never actually wore make-up and I recently bought some more to try out, I'll take all of this into account thank you.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Ah, I gave some simple make-up a try today and it worked out pretty reasonably thanks to all of your advice, thank you! I definitely need practice, the eyeliner was still super hard... but this was my first time using liquid eyeliner so I think it looks reasonable.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3359354/
What do you guys think? Does it look alright for a first try? U__U

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Esmenet
Time to change, Changer

Your best bet is Youtube. Sorry if this is repeating others, I didn't bother to check the other responses past the first page. MichellPhan, xsparkage, goldiestarling, dope(there's numbers in her url but I can't remember them), and many more are fantastic resources. They have playlists that are all about the basics of makeup, and what to buy and use. The tutorials are nice because they work slowly and you can pause and try it yourself. I am a makeup enthusiast now, and I went into it knowing next to nothing. Good luck!

Work in Progress:
Rei (genderbend)-Free! [90%]
Momoi Satsuki-KnB [100%]
Nora Valkyrie-RWBY [60%]

Upcoming Cons:
Anime North
Colossalcon
Anime Expo
Gen Con
Dragon*Con
Youmacon
Esmenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Esmenet
Time to change, Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Ah, I gave some simple make-up a try today and it worked out pretty reasonably thanks to all of your advice, thank you! I definitely need practice, the eyeliner was still super hard... but this was my first time using liquid eyeliner so I think it looks reasonable.

It looks perfectly good, can't tell it's a first try. And you look really cute in this photo!

Work in Progress:
Rei (genderbend)-Free! [90%]
Momoi Satsuki-KnB [100%]
Nora Valkyrie-RWBY [60%]

Upcoming Cons:
Anime North
Colossalcon
Anime Expo
Gen Con
Dragon*Con
Youmacon
Esmenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmenet View Post
Your best bet is Youtube. Sorry if this is repeating others, I didn't bother to check the other responses past the first page. MichellPhan, xsparkage, goldiestarling, dope(there's numbers in her url but I can't remember them), and many more are fantastic resources. They have playlists that are all about the basics of makeup, and what to buy and use. The tutorials are nice because they work slowly and you can pause and try it yourself. I am a makeup enthusiast now, and I went into it knowing next to nothing. Good luck!
I've watched a few make-up tutorials on YouTube, I'll have to try the ones you recommended, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmenet View Post
It looks perfectly good, can't tell it's a first try. And you look really cute in this photo!
Ah I'm really glad it doesn't look obviously 'baby's first make-up' or anything ahaha, thank you!

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Unread 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post

It looks pretty good, though it's hard to tell exactly how you did on the eyeliner because you are looking up.

One tip, though -- you might want to try doing -something- to your lower lash line. You'll have to practice and experiment with what looks good on you, but putting a little of your dark eyeliner on the bottom lashline/lid will open up your eyes a bit more and prevent the bottoms of your eyes from disappearing in photos. (Note that I'm not talking about the rims/waterline, but the part below that) You'll have to experiment a bit with what styles of liner down there work for you, since it is different for everyone, but you won't want to line the entire bottom lid, just a portion of it (I typically do a section towards the middle, since lining anything towards the outside corner other than maybe 1/8" of the actual corner itself looks super derpy on me because of my eye shape, but a lot of people swear by doing the outer 1/3 or so of your eye because it makes many eye shapes look rounder and more open...as I said, you'll have to experiment with what looks good on you)

Otherwise, it looks really good, especially for a first attempt! Good job

I don't really have any other tips for a minimal makeup style for a beginner, though. :< I wear crazy amounts of makeup with my cosplays (two types of foundation, at least two contouring shades, highlighting, at least one shade of blush, a multitude of eyeshadows, black and white eyeliners, typically two pairs of false lashes, etc.) even with my "natural" looks, so I'm not sure how much help I'd be to a total beginner! If you have any more specific questions, though, feel free to ask.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
dwayna

I'm in exactly the same boat as you except that I wear foundation and mascara daily. The problem is that I have pretty terrible and VERY pale skin so hunting for the right shade/oil-free foundation/concealer/etc. is a total nightmare!

Your results look really nice! Keep us posted because this thread is really helpful for me as well!
dwayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

You can always add something white to your foundation or concealer if you find one that you like but doesn't come in a light enough shade. Mac has a white shade in their Full Coverage Foundation but it costs $31 (potentially a good investment though depending on how many foundations you own and how often you wear it).

Anyway I think your makeup looks great. I agree with lining the lower lash line. I also think your face looks a bit flat. Easily remedied with some contouring (you can actually use a bit of your foundation if it's darker for you--check out gossmakeupartist's tutorials) and a bit of blush.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #25
JustACostume

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
You can always add something white to your foundation or concealer if you find one that you like but doesn't come in a light enough shade. Mac has a white shade in their Full Coverage Foundation but it costs $31 (potentially a good investment though depending on how many foundations you own and how often you wear it).
I own a manic panic white foundation. It is decent, blending with it sometimes will be a bit difficult but it works.
http://www.manicpanic.biz/store/p/42...Skin-Tone.aspx
JustACostume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #26
Crabcakes
Subway Boss

aaaa I'm in the exact same situation. I just got some foundation from Sephora but I'm gonna get some cheaper crap to practice with before the cons.
v.v

Planned Cosplays
Lolita!Emmet (Pokemon Black/White)
Elesa (Pokemon Black/White)
Bianca (Pokemon Black/White)
Mako Mankanshoku (Kill la Kill)
Crabcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

I have extremely pale skin as well and I use Loreal True Match in Porcelain. It's really REALLY light makeup and it's Oil Free! It's $9 in the states, but if you find coupons in the Sunday paper, it's really worth it!

That being said, my coverup is the only thing I'll spend that much money for. You don't need name brand makeup to have a kickass cosplay. I use E.L.F. products up the wall because it's cheap. $1 for liquid eyeliner. $1 for pressed powder. I splurged and got a $3 blush pallet from NYC color.

Long story short, shop around! The biggest (costwise) products you'll get are foundation (if using liquid) and a primer or BB cream. And I'm not saying you NEED the primer or cream, but I've noticed it really helps. I've gotten along fine without them though.

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 80%- Sleeves are attached!
Disney - Tinkerbell - Future - Planned

Last edited by Kayla Marie C : 03-13-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
dwayna

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
I was actually thinking of that! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Marie C View Post
I have extremely pale skin as well and I use Loreal True Match in Porcelain. It's really REALLY light makeup and it's Oil Free! It's $9 in the states, but if you find coupons in the Sunday paper, it's really worth it!
I love True Match! It's super for everyday use, blendable and doesn't have that weird orange-y tone that a lot other foundations have. It's just pretty light coverage so I usually use it for everyday use and not cosplay.
dwayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Your first attempt is very very good! I agree that you should put something on your bottom lash line. I usually put stick liner on my water line and it works really well.
Also! I have a light skin tone like you do. I suggest using a blush to brighten you up and give you a bit more color. (:
Lastly I would suggest a lipstick or lip gloss to brighten up your lips as well. (:
This is a great start! Good job! (: