Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Closed Thread
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

Casual Lolita, input please?

For the first time ever I will get to go to my first Lolita Tea party in my state ! I'm so excited! (it's not until may >_< ) what better than a head start.

My plan is a Casual Lolita since I can't afford.. or refuse to pay for a 'Real' lolita dress I've been trying on my own to sew one.
My cutsews are... not coming out well at all.

But I wanted opinions on my Skirt set for now. It's 2 skirts a white under layer and the top is adjustable so it could be wrapped around more or less, and removed. I have plans to add a bow where the overlap in front is, I was sewing at 3 AM so it's not done.
The pattern is small pink cherry Blossom branches on black, both skirts have a ruffle, but no lace. The bow on my head is actually hello kitty. I really want to wear pink cherry accessories but I'd have to make those too.

So, the real question is could I wear this to the tea party and not look like I'm clueless ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casual Lolitasecond1.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I think this outfit is coming along very nicely. It looks very good and you are doing a great job. And that blouse goes great with the skirt set actually..And you could wear it with them and not look out of place at all. I don't know that much about the skirt/blouse combos yet, I know more about the OP's and JSK's and how to put THOSE together wardrobe wise..But still I think this is coming along just fine
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I would put another petti under it but other then that it looks great! (:
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I chose Casual so I wouldn't have to worry about a petti, there isn't one under it in that picture. I don't have a 'proper' on and the one I used with my dress a while back is circle and made about the same way as the second skirt so it wouldn't fit and would be uncomfortable.

That blouse had the perfect sleeves I HAD to buy it XD It's hard to see but it has that bib style inset at the chest too. the band needs fixing, it cuts off circulation in my arm >_<;
I think a JSK would be easier to deal with(there is a few I want to buy T_T)

But this is good to hear thanks . I was worried that it would look strange. I'll post another pic when it's more finished.
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "

Thursday Peach Maki
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well with a petti, it's a general rule of Lolita that a petticoat is like, a "you have to have this" type thing..Like the only rules on things you HAVE to have for a Lolita outfit are Pettis and Bloomers (or at least this is what I've read on every site that talks about the fashion, including tumblr blogs, and here). You can get a good one online at a lot of different places. You can get the cheap ones from bodyline, but they are just that, cheap..Both price AND quality..I got one from Fanplusfriend and it's amazing.

Well JSK's CAN be easier to deal with, but at least with an OP you don't have to worry about putting on the blouse first. That's really it though lol

You're welcome. Don't worry, just read up a lot (and if youhave a tumblr, follow Lolita-Tips and read her page completely) and learn what is and isn't considered Lolita and you should be fine.

EDIT:
In fact, I went and found the Q&A forom Lolita-Tips tumblr page. Here's the petticoat one:
Q: Do I have to wear a petticoat?
A: Yes, petticoats are very important for Lolita. And here’s why! Lolita is defined by a few basic things: a voluminous bell-shaped or A-line silhouette, a sense of modesty, the right amount of frills and accessories, and an overall air of cuteness and elegance. The exaggerated skirt shape is really a Lolita staple and it’s one of the things that really makes the fashion what it is and taking that away would be like making a plain white cake without icing: it’s still technically a cake, but it’s not going to be nearly as pretty or exciting as a nicely decorated cake. Another reason I suggest wearing a good petticoat is because Lolita dresses and skirts have a lot of extra gathered fabric in them so that they can hold a petticoat properly and have a nice fluffy shape. If you don’t have a petticoat you end up with a lot of fabric just sitting there with nothing to do. This looks okay on certain skirts, like if it has really nice pleats, but most Lolita skirts don’t look right without a petticoat. For more information on choosing a petticoat, see this video.
Also, keep in mind that it should not be a bridal petticoat or a square dancing petticoat. Bridal petticoats are not made to last a very long time (as you are really only supposed to wear them for a day) and often are not the proper shape. Square dance petticoats also tend to be the wrong shape and if your petticoat is not the right shape your skirt or dress won’t sit right and won’t look very nice at all.
For examples of why you should wear a petticoat, see this post that shows dresses with and without a petticoat.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 02-27-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I've seen a number of site that almost argue if casual is ok with out, it's rather split, so I'm choosing to go without. If I go to this Tea party and they are moody about a petti-less Lolita who only gets to dress up 3 times a year those are really people I need to avoid.

I've looked on bodyline and even their cheapest petti $11 is really $21-$27 after S&H of course the one I like (and most useful if I want to do fairy kei ) is $20 so far it's not worth it for me. I tired making one before and ... I think it need to be buried >_<;;

Thursday Peach Maki
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

If you really don't want a petti than I think it's fine.
Yes, pettis are key to lolita, and yes personally I think the skirt looks a little flat, but in general screw all the people who would yell at you about it. (: It's your outfit, you can wear what you want. (: And you look super cute, btw. I forgot to say that before. I love the skirt. (:

BTW this is the petti I have (I don't do lolita, but I think it would give you the right poof). Just if you wanted to see. (:

Edit: I just realized what I said might have made me seem like a jerk. I didn't mean to be! Sorry if it did! (:

Last edited by ichigo_m. : 02-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, it doesn't matter how many times you dress lolita, what matters is just like any fashion there's key things that if you take them out, It's no longer that fashion..if they tell you that, they aren't people you should avoid, they are people who are part of the fashion that you are you are not correctly dressing in. In you want to call yourself a lolita, you should at least dress the way the fashion says. Without those little things, it wouldn't be it's own fashion. The shape the petti gives you is what MAKES out lolita. Without those specific dress shapes they aren't considered lolita and you still be looked down upon. You are making it seem like the girls that do it the right way are horrible people for being upset that you are calling yourself one of them without following the guidelines. Just saying..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

Yikes. Jason. Take it down a notch or two, okay? Not sure why you're twisting her words around the way you are or why you're even so offended. She is correct in saying that if a group of girls don't want her around simply because she chose not to wear a petti that they are girls she's better off avoiding. There is nothing wrong with that and I didn't see anything that stated she was looking down on girls who wore petti's.
So, again, calm down.

I will agree that the skirt looks a little flat without one, but it sounds to me like you're just dabbling for now. I don't see a problem with not wearing one, especially if you're trying to be casual about it. I think what you've made looks cute and I love the idea of adding a bow. I think it's fine as it is for a casual outfit.

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Look, you aren't gonna wear a black corset, lether skirt and black lipstick and go to the cheerleaders and go, "Hey look I'm just like you!!" are you? Does that make you a preppy cheerleader? No it doesn't. Those people don't want to hang out with you because you are trying to claim to be something you're not. And dressing that way surely is frowned upon in the cheerleader community right?

Same thing here..You don't go up to the Lolitas in whatever comunity and claim to be one of them when you aren't doing the few things that make it what it is. Lolita isn't just wearing a dress with a print..If that were the case, EVERY dress with a print would be lolita. No It's the shape the Petticoat give you. If you can't follow the simple guidelines, then you shouldn't call yourself part of that community. They aren't people you should avoid. So if you wear a t shirt that says "this is my cosplay" And say "HEY I'M A COSPLAYER!!" Does that make them one? According to what you're saying, that woiuld mean they are one..Even though they don't or may never own a costume..The fasion has guidelines for a reason, if you don't like it, simply don't call yourself part of that community, rather then talk about how bad the community, themselves, are.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Laced Candy

solstis, you're just fine although I do think the skirt will look a little better with a petticoat. Other than that, the outfit is nice. There's girls in my local community that do casual lolita quite similar to yours so I wouldn't worry too much. I do agree that rude elitist girls aren't worth associating with.

Jason, what are you talking about? You really are twisting this girl's words around. Believe it or not but lolita isn't some super special awesome secret club where if you don't conform they'll behead you on the spot. You make it sound as if this girl is bringing dishonor to your family.
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about the community. I'm saying that if they don't like that she isn't wearing the style correctly, that doesn't make THEM people to avoid. That was HER word. She is saying she shouldn't be around the people that frown upon the fashion THEY wear all the time, yet SHE doesn't. It doesn't make them people to avoid. Just simply don't call yourself lolita if you aren't adhering to the lolita fashion guidelines. That's what I'm saying.

I even gave her a quote by someone who has been dressing lolita for a very long time and knows what they are talking about. If she doesn't want to wear a petticoat and bloomers, then she isn't "dressing lolita" and thus shouldn't tell everyone she is.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 03-02-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

And it's this attitude that makes Lolita scary to newcomers. I know everyone is not a uptight perfectionist about it. Are they going to throw paint on me? If that's the case, the Nice girl Lolita is just a front to cover bad personalities. Missing 1 item in a setting like the Tea Party shouldn't that big of a deal. I'm not going on stage claiming to be a poster child for the fashion, and I'm not a lifestyle Lolita, I'm going to a Tea party.

It's fashion... it should be fun or there is no point in wearing it. I'll admit there are a number of dresses that just don't look right with out a petti under it (particularly the ones with the large images around the bottom), BUT I don't have one of those dresses. I designed a skirt set that would be a bit fluffy on it's own so I wouldn't need it. I did a few years of research. And got it really wrong once, my first time. And I got over zealous petti conversations and didn't touch Lolita for years because people were outright rude to me. But I'm giving it another chance, and trying not to stereotype.

There's too many rules in this fashion if I followed them all I'd already be wrong by having sewn my own outfit, not having brand, and not having those straight cut bangs. but things have changed, and new ideas accepted. Wait till you see my non Lolita shoes. So really if Lolita can curse I think I'll be ok with this. Just because someone has been doing something a long time does that make them correct all the time? You are running off the words of a friend that you trust, and her opinion. i searched the internet for 20 hrs to find all the sides. Some people will agree and some won't that's ok..

I saying I don't want to be around Lolita who are so anal that they can't accept my missing one part. I know now I'm not missing enough of the style to be worried.

Ok I can compromise. My outfit is 'Lolita inspired' that should appease everyone in a satisfactory manor.

Anyway,
@ ichigo_m.
leg avenue... The costume shop near me sells parts of that brand, But I know they don't have that petti, is it as short as it looks?

Thinks for everyone eles' input. I can post another set of pictures later today.

Thursday Peach Maki
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Depending where you wear it It's different lengths, If I wear mine at my natural waist (which is rather high) then it's about 4 inches above my knee, if I wear it at my hip line it goes bellow my knee. (:
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
evaunit01berser
Banned

Dude that never went to a tea party in lolita giving out hard core ita advice that is absolute and can not be broken

IRONY
Closed Thread