Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Closed Thread
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
UrbanVermin

Do you have any other wigs to go along with this outfit?

Unread 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

Sometimes wearing a petticoat for a more casual coordinate is okay. I usually go for very light poof when I wear causal (either using the existing tulle petticoat in my AP stuff, or using a light poof petti under my Meta skirts). I don't like feeling as if my skirt is going to knock things off the shelves when I'm shopping. But I think with this particular style of skirt the shape is looking a little awkward without something to give the underskirt a little lift. There's a dropoff from where the overskirt ends and where the underskirt is showing. But otherwise, I don't see any huge problems otherwise. You might want to add some more accessories (don't over do it though) like a nice necklace and bracelet and a ring or two, all of which can be found offbrand. :3
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Solstis -
You look adorable. For a casual coord a petticoat isn't a hard and fast requirement. The petti will help the shape of the skirt (the white skirt is bit flat, while the top skirt has a bit of natural volume, which is creating a slightly odd shape. Not bad, just a little unusual.)

The bow is perfect. All you need now is maybe a cute bracelet. Or ring.

Super casual lolita coord - no petti. Many positive reblogs on tumbr.

My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower

Last edited by UsakoLuna : 03-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Kagz
ADD Allstar

I like the look I agree with the petti comment I have the leg avenue one for when I want less puff, two reasons why A) Sometimes you just want to look less puffy B) I live in an area where it is windy and having even a smaller petti underneath helps prevent skirt blow up. As an almost 6' tall girl I can tell you that the leg avenue does come in sizes long enough. Though the choice is yours I like that the fabric you made the skirt with seems to hold itself up fairly well.

I think a few more accessories would be cute bracelet of cuff.

As for all the neg stuff. I would say don't worry about it to much It is a fashion so there are guidelines but I personally feel its left to the wearer to make the final option. And yes there are going to be girls out there who are obsessed with the "rules" and there will be girls that aren't and you are bound to find some friendly ones at con's and community's. It's the same as finding regular friends just gotta find the ones that fit best. It can be a little scary but from my experience baring the internet there are more good, nice, and really fun girls out there than the opposite.

Be sure to post a pic of the final cord I can't wait to see how you finish it up.

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Ms. Marvel (remake) Complete
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Tifa Lockheart -planning-
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Stumbled across this thread, and while I don't know anything about lolita, I felt inclined to tell you to not let Jason scare you away from something you want to do. Even the lolitas in the 4chan Coscom General thread say you should do what you want and ignore him, and the lolita community over there can be pretty harsh from what I've seen/heard.

Go to the tea party, have an awesome time, make some friends, all that good stuff.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
improvised

Agree with above poster. Besides, people are always putting their spins on fashions, so no worries.
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
Stumbled across this thread, and while I don't know anything about lolita, I felt inclined to tell you to not let Jason scare you away from something you want to do. Even the lolitas in the 4chan Coscom General thread say you should do what you want and ignore him, and the lolita community over there can be pretty harsh from what I've seen/heard.

Go to the tea party, have an awesome time, make some friends, all that good stuff.
I'm not trying to scare her away from it. I'm letting her know that those 2 items are specific lolita key items Lolita isn't only defined by elegance and cuteness combined. It's also the silhouette, in this case, either an A-line or Cupcake shaped skirt/dress. You can't get that without a petticoat.

Another thing, Idk who it is, if it's someone from here or whatever, but I got a tumblr message saying that I'm "yelling at this girl for not conforming to my skewed views on lolita". Idk if you guys noticed..But I quoted a very well loved Lolita girl..Those are what SHE said. I only repeated them. How many of you think that that person is a horrible person for her views even though she's been ion the fashion a long time? Everywhere I look for info on Lolita, what I said is right there on every page. How does that make me this big bad person for stating views that I didn't right up, but the community of which this girl is trying to be in wrote up? Is the entire community of lolitas people that should be treated like you are treating me here? If you are sawing what I wrote is not true, then you are saying what the whole community says isn't true..

I don't get you guys sometimes..

Oh and if she doesn't want to wear the petticoat, that's fine. But if the community of lolitas say to her face that she needs a petticoat, then They shouldn't be hated or disliked. They are giving you advice.

EDIT:
Oh and we're bringing in 4chan? Really? You reallize you are talking about the same site full of people that literally told be that they don't give 2 shits if someone killed themselves because of how horrible they talk about someone? THAT'S who you want to listen to about advice on fashion?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 03-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

Thank you for everyones input :3 I kinda had to walk away and let myself cool off as well >_<;

I ended up making a second one that I'm wearing to anime club this week, it is basiclly the same style as the first. This one is overlaped but not drawstring (the first is drawstring) and the tights are grey/dark grey argyle.

I've also included a picture of just the underskirt if anything I could put interfacing in the top ... or starch it. But it needs to be packable and crushable.

@UrbanVermin
I have other wigs. that one was right there and matched (as I was lazy and didn't feel like brushing my hair out for that pic) I have a brown split that is an actual 'Lolita' wig, I have a short white bob, and then the Mint Cream in these pictures. i also have extentions that will match my naturel hair and make it look longer and Bangs as well.

@ Kagz and ichigo_m.
looks like I can look back into leg Ave. The one I have seen are only 7 inches or so long, and ugly >_<; I'm glad they have some others.

In my recent research I found some info about looking more mature in Lolita and part of that was a less fluffy petti, so that is what I'm aiming for in the long run. Granted that is such an oxymoron when I'm wearing a Hello kitty T-shirt from the kids section XXDD;

Accessories are a hard part, because I'm cleaning and they got tucked away. I got some tiny rose accents I might make into a bracelet or something or a little ruffle bracelet in the same fabric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casual Lolita-stpats.jpg (63.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Casual Lolita-underskirt.jpg (60.3 KB, 0 views)
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstis View Post
Thank you for everyones input :3 I kinda had to walk away and let myself cool off as well >_<;

I ended up making a second one that I'm wearing to anime club this week, it is basiclly the same style as the first. This one is overlaped but not drawstring (the first is drawstring) and the tights are grey/dark grey argyle.

I've also included a picture of just the underskirt if anything I could put interfacing in the top ... or starch it. But it needs to be packable and crushable.

@UrbanVermin
I have other wigs. that one was right there and matched (as I was lazy and didn't feel like brushing my hair out for that pic) I have a brown split that is an actual 'Lolita' wig, I have a short white bob, and then the Mint Cream in these pictures. i also have extentions that will match my naturel hair and make it look longer and Bangs as well.

@ Kagz and ichigo_m.
looks like I can look back into leg Ave. The one I have seen are only 7 inches or so long, and ugly >_<; I'm glad they have some others.

In my recent research I found some info about looking more mature in Lolita and part of that was a less fluffy petti, so that is what I'm aiming for in the long run. Granted that is such an oxymoron when I'm wearing a Hello kitty T-shirt from the kids section XXDD;

Accessories are a hard part, because I'm cleaning and they got tucked away. I got some tiny rose accents I might make into a bracelet or something or a little ruffle bracelet in the same fabric.
I do like you're outfit. Please don't think that I'm saying it's not lolita in the outfit itself. Just wanna put that out there..

Anyway, You mentioned in you're research that you saw you need less poof, but still SOME poof right? That look is what the petticoat is for. I think there may have been a misunderstanding..You didn't think by petticoat, I meant you have to have a huge round poof did you? If so that's not what I was getting at. The small poof that you said you read about, is an A-line petticoat (which is the most common in classic lolita) and I meant that you would use that under the skirt..Not one of those super poof ones..If that's what started this whole mess, then I'm sorry
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I for sure think it looks nice with the underskirt. Makes a little poofyer.

I wanna tack on that it'd be great if we could all be nice to each other on these forums. We're all just trying to help. (Also, this week the Lolita tag has exploded with people saying petit are a nessecity in Lolita. Thought that was kinda funny.)
Anyway your outfit looks very cute. (:
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #26
sailoriso

Quote:
EDIT:
Oh and we're bringing in 4chan? Really? You reallize you are talking about the same site full of people that literally told be that they don't give 2 shits if someone killed themselves because of how horrible they talk about someone? THAT'S who you want to listen to about advice on fashion?
Says the person who told someone to do the exact same thing on their Tumblr.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
Kagz
ADD Allstar

Solstis: Oh man that first pic is my fav so far. Super cute! Also I will try and find the link of the pettie stuff I am into it may be more your speed.

This first one is super fluff town but a good cost. it has multiple layers the bottom layer being softer and more skin friendly the other being super ridged meaning it will last a while.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170943779486...84.m1497.l2649

Here is one of the leg avenues I use, What I love about this one is you can get a few of them and stack them for more fluff. Also if you are nervous about the length feel wait until Halloween or see if you can find one in a store to try on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chiffon-Pett...em484666b3 14

Here is another longer leg avenue one. Minimal fluff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Knee-Leng...item23230fe00a

Hopefully that is helpful.

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Tifa Lockheart -planning-
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I brought up 4chan precisely because they're opinions can get harsh. That was the point. Also, you're citing off one person's opinion as if it were fact, when plenty of experienced people, certainly more experienced than you are, are all saying that no petticoat is fine. When a ton of people are offering their educated opinion that happens to differ from your own, it's typically worth a try to consider their point of view so as to further educate yourself.

Anyway, glad things seem to have been resolved for you, OP.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #29
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

JasonTerror
@There are a few things going on in what I said.
I chose Casual for not having to so much need a petti because it's casual.
Then theres mature that I said afterwards that doesn't need as much fluff.
I know about petti, I'm just not falling over myself to get a petti because it's just not really cost efficient, however I will make up for that lack by making sure what I DO make has some fluff to it naturally, and that's why I'm here now.
pretty much if what I made was flat I wouldn't even tack Lolita on it because I'd know better.
What you were saying, it felt more like the wear a petti or get out comments I got when I first was learning about Lolita. I understand that you are trying to help. but in my case a petti won't help me if my design has major flaws.

@ Kagz
The first one is my fave too XD the second has an interesting pattern that can't be seen in the picture T_T This fabric is in the second pic This one is the first picI just like the Cherry Blossoms better.

Theres too many types of petti XD. i think i will wait until Halloween. I might be able to persuade the Costume shop owner to order a few different ones. She's always so good about that with wigs.

@ ichigo_m.
Thanks :3 The skirt is based on a Lolita dress I saw, it has to have 2 layers. Plus it's not heavy you can see through it >_<; layers help. I'm doing bustle back skirt next so this is really just a trial.
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
Kagz
ADD Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstis View Post
JasonTerror
@ Kagz
The first one is my fave too XD the second has an interesting pattern that can't be seen in the picture T_T This fabric is in the second pic This one is the first picI just like the Cherry Blossoms better.

Theres too many types of petti XD. i think i will wait until Halloween. I might be able to persuade the Costume shop owner to order a few different ones. She's always so good about that with wigs.
Yea on my thread here In the plaid skirt I am wearing that first petti to give you an idea of how puffy it is.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=315726

The first puprle skirt I am borrowing a friends petti because the fabric I chose was just to heavy for the Leg avenue petti also I need to buy another second one, my old second got mauled.

I really like both fabrics and I feel like they will both work so go with your favorite or have both and have two favorites to choose from, what is nice about it is that they are different enough to cover different moods so you have options now. That is something I have come to learn about myself over the years I often feel more punk or goth, other times I want to do country or casual, lately I have this weird bug about sweets (I am obsessed with pastels and frills). So as you create remember to keep in mind you may not always wanna wear darker shades or certain styles so to accommodate that be sure to get a range, looks like you are off to a great start!

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%