Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Panel Advice/Suggestions

Hi all,

This is my annual call for advice or suggestions on what I should cover in the two panels I'm teaching. Mostly, I do this because I'm prone to forgetting to cover the basics.

The two panels are:

Making and Altering Patterns for Cosplay (clothing, accessories, and props)
Costume Armor (soft, hybrid, hard, attachments, storage and maintenance)

If you have suggestions or advice on what I should cover in these panels, please let me know.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
PepMaster

Sounds like we should be on each others panels, lol. I'm doing Pepakura (Papercraft) for Costuming and Propmaking. But all I can bring into the field is either pepakura, or making patterns from scratch. Like when I made my Helghast, I found a ortho photo online, then traced the armor with Paint Shop Pro. Then I removed the background ortho image leaving me with lines, and imported the images into Posterazor for enlarging.
Pepakura is just a base, of course I've seen people do amazing things with just paper, fiberglass and bondo. But others have used the process for foam armoring, sintra, etc. But with my 6 years of expertise with it there's too much to cover in one post.
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

LOL, I'm doing non-computerized patterning. Sometimes it's easier to draft certain patterns by hand without a computer; some patterns (armor and props especially) can be easier on the computer, because computers are very good at changing proportions on the fly.

I've used Pep before--in fact, I have a set of armor patterns that I'm waiting to work on after A-Kon (mostly because I just won't have adequate time before then...yay college). I intend to attend your panel, actually, provided it doesn't conflict with my own.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote