Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
trilukesmith
Banned

Ask the Personal Trainer

I've been a certified personal trainer for almost a decade now. Please ask me anything and everything regarding working out or nutrition.
trilukesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

For a young man who is completely unfit (obviously talking about myself here), is it better to start with focusing on strength or cardio (goal is to lose weight, I know diet is more important than exercise in that aspect).
How long should one take to train for jogging 5k? (Starting point: being able to job about 1 minute at a time with ample rest between sets)
Lower-mid pain pain caused during intense cardio?
Knee locks up/does not lock while walking?
What was the method and who did you go through to get the PT certification?
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)

Last edited by Slapthefatcat : 05-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Angel Tear
Sugar Snow

I have major trouble with doing floor exercises, specifically those where I have to have my back flat on the ground in which my lower back (right above my butt so I suppose the tailbone?) always hurts! I've tried exercise mats, pillows but nothing works (I've got a bit of a dip in my back and I'm rather bootylicious) so even though I want to do sit ups, crunches etc to tone my stomach it isnt an easy task. I really dont want to give up because of this. Any suggestions on how to tone the tum without putting pressure there?
Angel Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Tear View Post
I have major trouble with doing floor exercises, specifically those where I have to have my back flat on the ground in which my lower back (right above my butt so I suppose the tailbone?) always hurts! I've tried exercise mats, pillows but nothing works (I've got a bit of a dip in my back and I'm rather bootylicious) so even though I want to do sit ups, crunches etc to tone my stomach it isnt an easy task. I really dont want to give up because of this. Any suggestions on how to tone the tum without putting pressure there?
Same thing here. I always thought it was because I'm a boney-ass brat, but if you're the same, it's probably something else. Looking forward to seeing an answer to this one.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Toning doesn't work like that. Situps won't shrink your stomach. And if you can't get your back completely flat it's fine.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
zaffie

I finally found a form of exercise I love and it's Rock climbing. I can do it 4+ times a day and love it!

Do you recommend I do additional exercise along with it?

Cosplay:

Midna(The Legend of Zelda): 100%!
Phi(The Legend of Zelda): 100%
Eska (Legend of Korra): 10%
zaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
sexytime10
See you next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaffie View Post
I finally found a form of exercise I love and it's Rock climbing. I can do it 4+ times a day and love it!

Do you recommend I do additional exercise along with it?
Not OP but I got the answer to this one guys~

rock climbing obviously relies on very strong core muscles. and my ultimate favorite exercise for core would be the barbell deadlift. dls literally saved my posture and core and i just fuckin' love it... j-just sayin. i can imagine that pullups would help in rock climbing as well.
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Zalgo

Simple question I've always wondered..should I be lowering my calorie intake on days I do not workout? currently it's just one day (Sunday)
Zalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
inforit

Bulking up

I'm 179cm (5ft 10-11") tall and 72-3kg (160 pounds approx). I have very little body fat and have some muscle definition, but not much. I know how to get rid of fat with diet and exercise but I don't know how to build serious muscle (especially with diet).
I want to cosplay as Eustass Kid from One Piece and I want to fit his physique as closely as possible.

The convention I want to cosplay as him in is on the 10th of August.
Please help me out.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
inforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalgo View Post
Simple question I've always wondered..should I be lowering my calorie intake on days I do not workout? currently it's just one day (Sunday)
Simple answer is no, keep eating routinely because you can be forced out of habit. In more detail you won't need as much protein, your body will just get rid of the excess. Complex Carbohydrates are good for rest days because they help recovery and you'll have the long lasting energy needed for the time until your next workout. It's a good Idea to keep drinking water as much as you do on days you train. It's usually the lack of water which gets you. Try for about 2.5 litres everyday. Water helps you digest food better speeding up weight-loss, muscle building and recovery time.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
cosplaynewb11

are you really a personal trainer cause you have not responded to any of the q's asked?
cosplaynewb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
inforit

Quote:
If you have a horizontal bar above head height you can hold onto it and lift you legs up in front of you like an L. Hooking your knees around the bar and doing sit-ups that way works too. If it's just lying on your back that's a problem then plank. As long as possible, as often as possible, with good form.
What you're talking about sounds like jelly-beaning. It's when people stand up with their belly and behind jutted out so their body is shaped like a jellybean. If that's the case, roll your hips forward bringing your but and belly in.
Use this as reference.

Running is also very good for core (especially when running uphill) and will help skim off any extra fat that might be getting in the way.

Hopefully this helps