Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
pinkirlia

Newbie in the house. Tips?

Hi. I plan to start crossplaying (MtF) and I was wondering if there were any pitfalls I should avoid. I'm going to try to pass so if there are any ways to look less manly or dead giveaways to steer clear of, please let me know. Thank you in advance.
pinkirlia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
PoodleBoy

Theres tips all over this forum, but just remember the basics. SHAVE! Thats a key. Your legs, chest, facial. Its almost unbelievable but Ive seen MtF crossplayers keep their goatees and leg hair! Not cool! Remember its very difficult to completely pass, but as long as you make a decent effort, no one will complain. To me the important aspect is the costume and how well you put it together based on the character youre portraying.
Good luck!
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Adam's Apple is the first giveaway.
Shave, contour, look natural, and makeup.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Ya I try to wear outfits that either have a choker or something that covers the neck although I dont have much of an adams apple which is just more proof i was never meant to be male lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
Ya I try to wear outfits that either have a choker or something that covers the neck although I dont have much of an adams apple which is just more proof i was never meant to be male lol
You and me both, sister. Heck, I even have "female hands", lol. >_> *Longer index, shorter ring fingers*

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
MagicalStar
Just a tiny magical star

Eh. I actually feel like having a choker means it draws more attention that way...

Maybe a scarf or some makeup shading?
MagicalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

The first convention i did I got comments on the fact I shaved everywhere. I do not like hair one bit except on my head lol. The infamous "Beardie-Moon" as I call em people were talking about earlier is one thing you do not want to see. Now I was raised female for the first 12 years of my life so I have some experience in that regard before being forced back to male. I would suggest you try to act natural. I know it is hard heck I still have that problem but the more nervous you appear the more you will stand out. Make sure you have no visible hair anywhere, wear things that are decent and respectful and just try to be yourself and you should do fine. I am still not very good with makeup but I am getting better. This is the most recent attempt if you want any ideas on that.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3354287/

i am still an armature though compared o the pros that been doing this stuff way longer then i have

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkirlia View Post
Hi. I plan to start crossplaying (MtF) and I was wondering if there were any pitfalls I should avoid. I'm going to try to pass so if there are any ways to look less manly or dead giveaways to steer clear of, please let me know. Thank you in advance.
you gotta specify what your doing, cause there's extreme on both levels of this where you pass whether you try to or not, and others where clearly even I haven't got it yet(after like 15 yrs).

pitfalls are:

Evidence of smuggling snakes and briefs(even over the hose)? for crap sake, no's
any boob searching goon could get a frown(get it right or put them down),
anyone looking at your face( with each on-looking human, THAT"S the first place)
you don't need to walk the walk, or talk the talk unless you trying to raise an onlooker's C@cX
if you have no shame?then you can't truly be lame like this reply XD
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

Just have fun with it, that's the key. If you're uncomfortably in your costume, people will pick up on it. Me, I play it up. Everyone loves the cheeky crossplayer. :P

That and remember that you are biologically male, which means your features are going to be broader and stronger. Research makeup tips from fellow illusionists or drag queens (there are several on YouTube that are a *tremendous* help).

Most importantly, don't give up! It's hard for a boy to look like a girl, otherwise I'd assume it'd be a much more popular thing to do. Keep practicing, learn from your mistakes, and you'll eventually get it.

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Also, get out there and remember, most people really don't care that you're crossplaying, so don't be self conscious.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Just FYI, I keep my beard when I crossplay more often than not. Now, I hate to contradict my fellow crossplayers, but frankly I get better reactions when I don't shave than when I do.

Just enjoy yourself! Cosplay and crossplay is for you the wearer, and if an audience appreciates it, that's just a nice bonus.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

he he do what makes you happy

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita: