Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Swiftstart

The Staff conundrum

Hello!
I like 85% of all other cosplayers want to cosplay Jack Frost from rise of the guardians

my problem however is a new one.
His staff, originally I was just going to stick some real sticks together (there is a woods in my back yard) but then I learned that the con I plan on being him at doesn't allow exposed wood weapons/props.

like not even wooden dowels can be used as bases of staffs unless bulked up with foam or something but then it'd be ugly :c

and so um, whats a good substitute?
Swiftstart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
StarkRed26

I'd say go for one of those long sheets of pink insulation foam like the one pictured below:
http://static.flickr.com/46/148859737_bed08c24ef.jpg
You can get them from Lowes or Home Depot.

Then start carving away at it. And you don't even have to sand it or smooth it too much because the rough foam texture will look like the 'woody' texture of his staff already. Just be careful when carving it so you don't go too thin and have it break. Then you can reinforce it with some mod podge or matte gesso so it'll survive a few rounds of convention wandering.

^^ I just have to say how much I enjoyed that movie, btw. Saw it in theaters, then twice on dvd. I might have to restrain myself from squealing like a little girl too much if I see any RotG cosplays at NYCC this year. ^^;
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

you still need to have a dowel or pvc in the middle of pink foam cause one bump and it can break in half. Id buy some thin pvc and using connectors and bending methods to get a general shape. then use spray insulation foam. it carves down very easily and then you can control the shape/smoothness to get the look of wood. Kaumi covers the steps to reinforce it on her website w a video tutorial!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote