Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Penguin_Empress

Things you wish cosplayers wouldn't do

Is there anything you see that's frequent among certain cosplays that you wish the cosplayer wouldn't do?

Here's my list:

-Yellow Sailor Moon hair. I think cosplayers should always translate this to blonde. Not BigBird Yellow. Yellow looks good on cartoon characters, not real people.

-Teen Titans Raven's bangs. To me, it's a widows peak-clean and simple, but I see lots of cosplayers try and pull it off as some weird, upside down triangle-cut bangs.

-Teen Titans Starfire's skin tone. Orange, but why? Is it just bad faux tanning or am I the only one that thinks she's just supposed to be tan? I mean, I could see the original comic Starfire having a strange shade of skin, but the animated, kiddie Teen Titans version-she just comes off as tan to me.

-Shiny material on a Sailor Scout uniform. It looks so ugly. I mean, I was tempted to buy shiny material for my SS skirt (the material is so alluring) but after looking at pictures of the material fitted into a costume, I stopped myself.

-Wearing your glasses. At least take them off for a picture.

-Not wearing a wig. I admit, I've done this before, but if I could go back in time and risk altering the future to put a wig on my head, I'd probably do it. A wig really enhances the overall costume.

I mean, I'm not perfect. A lot of stuff I do when it comes to cosplay probably gets on people's nerves. I hotglue a lot in place of sewing. I sharpie stuff instead of dying. I was just curious to see what irks people when it comes to stuff like that.

Zim: Oh, you'll open them. You have to breath sometime.

Dib: No, I - Wait... What do eyes have to do with breathing?

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

This is exactly like the Cosplay Pet Peeves thread.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Will probably be merged with it at least, but okay, I'll shoot.

- MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO.

- WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? TOOL TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME!

- BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA!

There ya go.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
This is exactly like the Cosplay Pet Peeves thread.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. This will probably get merged into it by a mod

The glasses thing though.. Really? Some people are SEVERELY vision-impaired and have to wear glasses. Sometimes they forgot to "take it off for pictures" or some are just not comfortable with it (I wouldn't even be able to see what camera to look at).
I feel like that's kind of a medical thing that should be ignored.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Both are about shoes:

Quick Naruto sandals: I've seen most cosplayers just cutting the toes to a blue sock and wearing a blue sandal, fortunately lately I've seen more of them made from zero.

Not the right shoe: The few Holly (Monster Rancher) cosplays I've ever seen were good, except that all of them used some kind of Caterpillar boots instead of the "pirate ones" that she wears, I guess they could not be so hard to make as it seems or there are more similar shoes that you can buy, cause there's too much difference between Caterpillars and this:

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
KatyCruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshofRebirth View Post
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. This will probably get merged into it by a mod

The glasses thing though.. Really? Some people are SEVERELY vision-impaired and have to wear glasses. Sometimes they forgot to "take it off for pictures" or some are just not comfortable with it (I wouldn't even be able to see what camera to look at).
I feel like that's kind of a medical thing that should be ignored.
This. Exactly this about the glasses. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses and am physically incapable of wearing contact lenses. I very recently spent another $200 to get rimless glasses for cosplay because I didn't like wearing them, except I have to. *shrug*

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Empress View Post
-Wearing your glasses. At least take them off for a picture.
You gotta understand that some people's visions are really bad. I mean, mine are so bad that I always have to wear them but I tend to forget that I'm wearing them so I forget to take them off. And sometimes the people who take pictures usually don't wait for cosplayers to take off their glasses.

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 65%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 10%[/color]
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill[/color]
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
cowsrcute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
You gotta understand that some people's visions are really bad. I mean, mine are so bad that I always have to wear them but I tend to forget that I'm wearing them so I forget to take them off. And sometimes the people who take pictures usually don't wait for cosplayers to take off their glasses.
^ I try to take mine off when I am going to take a picture but I am so use to seeing with them and feeling them on my face that I forget I am even wearing them. And yea, most people don't wait for me to take them off. I usually have to take them off while they are getting in position for the picture. You can try asking people to take it off. I don't know what others would feel about it but I wouldn't mind being asked since I forget about them so it would be good to ask.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

This seems more like a hate thread more than anything.
Sure, people may do things that YOU may not like, but everyone has their own opinions and reasons.

But that is MY opinion. Others may like discussing their own dislikes.
I just don't think it's fair to judge each other when society already judges us.

Last edited by oreobunbun : 03-06-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
This seems more like a hate thread more than anything.
Sure, people may do things that YOU may not like, but everyone has their own opinions and reasons.

But that is MY opinion. Others may like discussing their own dislikes.
I just don't think it's fair to judge each other when society already judges us.
^ This.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
SaChan

I wish cosplayers would stop being judgmental of other cosplayers. =\

Cons/Events 2014
Katsucon
Sakura Matsuri
Awesome Con DC
AMA
Otakon

Costumes in Progress
3D Maneuvering Gear
Kanata Shinonome
Super Sailor Venus
Kairi (KH2)
Christmas Town Sora

Tumblr:http://www.tumblr.co/blog/sachan33
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/SaCha...46725658814034
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Pastaloving Me~
PASTA rules the World!!

Hm, Im new to cosplay so I came here to see what I shouldnt do...but I havent really got anything yet...
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
girlswithcomics

I wish people would just let others be and have fun.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Oh wow. I was happy for a moment to have a place where we could share smaller peeves for more specific costumes, or just bad habits we've seen at cons that irk us.

I was going to use this more as a guide to newer cosplayers as a "What not to do/what habits to avoid" type thing.

But it seems it's already been claimed to be made and for only judgemental jerks ;C
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
^ This, this, this so, so much. I forget to take mine off, too!

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
Closed Thread