Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Will probably be merged with it at least, but okay, I'll shoot.

- MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO. MARCO. POLO.

- WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? TOOL TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME! WHAT TIME IS IT? ADVENTURE TIME!

- BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA! BUTTSCRATCHA!

There ya go.
DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP. DERP.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. EEEEE. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. EEEEEEEEE. KAWAII. BAKA. DESU. NE.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%

Unread 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Khorrupt

I'm not leaning either way as far as opinions concerning THIS thread specifically, but I would say judgemental cosplayers are the biggest pain in the ass at cons. There's always one at every con who toots their own horn and has to make sure that everyone knows that x person's costume looks cheap, that their wig could be better, that they should have used this material, that they're too fat for the costume, or just something. But, oh, their costume is flawless -- of course. Some people have low budgets, some people are beginners, and maybe some people just want to have fun and they don't really care.

I've been in all three of those situations and I can vouch for everyone else who is as well by saying that it's a real pain in the ass, and it makes you look petty.

In-progress costumes~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Blue Beetle (Young Justice) - 45% complete - ON HOLD
~Ryuk (Death Note) - 50% complete
~Elsa (Frozen) - 20% complete
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - 5% complete
~kigurumi!Silkie - commission
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I wish cosplayers wouldn't impose their own personal standards of quality on other cosplayers who aren't them.

That said...

People looking for advice on how to improve their own costumes should ask specific questions about something that concerns them. If they look across a crowd of cosplayers at a con they may see things that they like, things that they don't like, things they want to emulate and things they tell themselves "I will NEVER do that." We all do this, in our minds. If you want your costumes to end up looking a certain way, or gaining a certain recognition for anything (quality, accuracy, beauty, what have you), ask questions and seek advice about specific things.

There's a lot about lazy, half-assed cosplay that bugs the heck out of me, and I'm sure if you dug in the pet peeves thread you'd find me complaining about them back six, seven, eight years ago. I've stopped openly complaining and instead I offer advice to people who ask for it. It's easier to help people who genuinely want to improve their skills or their appearance than it is to kvetch about people who clearly don't share my personal aesthetic standard. I don't personally enjoy gender-bending, cat ears, and a few other things, but other people really like them and some people make really nice-looking costumes while doing these things. Who am I to judge?

...unless I AM a judge in a masquerade and they're an entrant. Then I have the license to judge. :3 But not them as a person, only their costume construction.

One must be cautious about unsolicited advice. You may mean well, from your own point of view, but if a person didn't ask whether their wig looks nice or their skirt is too short or their makeup needs touching up, don't just walk up and tell them. Suffer in silence. The world will not end because someone didn't brush out a wig before slapping it on their head.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
Oh wow. I was happy for a moment to have a place where we could share smaller peeves for more specific costumes, or just bad habits we've seen at cons that irk us.

I was going to use this more as a guide to newer cosplayers as a "What not to do/what habits to avoid" type thing.

But it seems it's already been claimed to be made and for only judgemental jerks ;C
It is one thing to have a PEEVE and another to INSULT.

You see the difference?

Last edited by oreobunbun : 03-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Ilafatyu
That guy

I find it amazing how quickly people of this forum jump on one another. Not to mention the rants. Impressive stuff.

Regardless of that, what I wish cosplayers would stop doing is overdoing the eye makeup for characters who do not have heavy eye makeup. Putting some eyeliner on to define the eyes is one thing. But when the cosplayer decides to put mascara on a young male whose character doesn't fit, it detracts from the cosplay's 'realism'.

facebook // dA

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I find it amazing how quickly people of this forum jump on one another. Not to mention the rants. Impressive stuff.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
You gotta understand that some people's visions are really bad. I mean, mine are so bad that I always have to wear them but I tend to forget that I'm wearing them so I forget to take them off. And sometimes the people who take pictures usually don't wait for cosplayers to take off their glasses.
^ This, and some people also need to understand that not everyone can wear contact lenses. Many of my friends wear glasses, and I also wear glasses but I also wear contact, but honestly, my vision is so bad, I can't even read things near me without them. Many people say just to wear contacts but it's not that easy since it takes time to get used too poking your eyes, though I love wearing contacts so I don't have to shove my glasses in my bag or hold onto them when I'm posing for a picture.

What I wish cosplayers wouldn't do? I seriously wish some cosplayers understand that some people have their own personal bubble since that person may not like being touched without asking, especially when this comes to surprise hugs or glomps, but attacking a cosplayer because that person is cosplaying as their favorite character is something I wish people would understand that it's not funny.
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]85

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Armin Arlet or Levi [Shingeki no Kyojin]

Last edited by Noize : 03-06-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
kikamontanez

I don't think Penguin_Empress is insulting anybody. She has a right to her opinions. She didn't call anybody out personally. How different would it be if this were a cooking thread and she said something like, "I wish people who cooked pot roast wouldn't add celery". I mean, it's not like people are going to stop cooking pot roast with celery just because she doesn't like it, right? How is this any different?
Well, I'm going to go ahead and put in my two cents:
-Cosplaying Hikaru Shidou and giving her pink hair.
-Wearing the wrong shoes if you're a Sailor Scout. For some reason, I only notice the wrong shoes if it's Sailor Scout related.
-Using face or body paint that is already or very soon will start sweating off
-Spraying your hair with that cheap hair spray paint stuff, and I'll admit, I've done it before when I was younger. Now I look at the pics and want to say, "um...that's not me. That's my, uh, twin sister"
-Here's where all the negative attention is going to turn on me now. Cosplaying something skimpy when you clearly shouldn't be. If I don't want to see an everyday regular person walking around in swimsuit-fitting attire when they don't have the body, the same goes for cosplay. I'm sorry, but even I know my limits. Everyone should know theirs.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
ugh Sailor Moon did NOT have a beard.

I hate it when Sailor Moons have BEARDS.

So INACCURATE.

and the GLASSES, UGH!

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Medli; Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #25
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikamontanez View Post
-Here's where all the negative attention is going to turn on me now. Cosplaying something skimpy when you clearly shouldn't be. If I don't want to see an everyday regular person walking around in swimsuit-fitting attire when they don't have the body, the same goes for cosplay. I'm sorry, but even I know my limits. Everyone should know theirs.
Well, I think the reason 'all of the negative attention is going to turn on you' as you say, is because everyone has a different idea of 'limits'. Some people are more comfortable with their body then other despite their shape. Someone with 'the body' may not dress in a bikini because that's over their limit whereas someone who doesn't might not have a problem with it because they are comfortable in their own skin.

Personally, I don't think it's right to try and limit anyone but yourself. If that person is a consenting adult and wants to walk about in skimpy attire, then that's their choice and their business. If it doesn't violate any indecent exposure laws, then it's not our problem.

Conventions should be a safe place for everyone to express themselves.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
You gotta understand that some people's visions are really bad. I mean, mine are so bad that I always have to wear them but I tend to forget that I'm wearing them so I forget to take them off. And sometimes the people who take pictures usually don't wait for cosplayers to take off their glasses.
I second this.

I tried the contacts thing; it didn't pan out. I'll only wear them if I think it's THAT important to a character's story. Even then, it literally takes me 20 minutes to get each of them devils in. Just no. I try to remember to take them off for hall photos and put them in my bag, but stuff happens sometimes. If you can live with that (I think we all can to some degree), I say more power to ya. #Lesseroftwoevils.
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #27
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Quote:
There you have it folks!!
If you don't have a perfect body, don't show it off!! You might burn out other cosplayers' eyes! We must be considerate to those around us!!!!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 03-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

This isn't really a cosplayer pet peeve but rather something that bothers me about the Disney Jack Sparrow impersonators... I really wish they would pay better attention to the buckles on their belts and which belts they use for their costumes. A lot of the times I see them using belt buckles from different movies all at once or placing the belts in the wrong order. And sometimes they don't have any of the rings or wrist adornments. Which makes me wonder, do they have a reference chart to look at when they get dressed or what happens with that? Because I know Disney likes everything to look perfect, so I wonder how the Jack Sparrow actors get away with this. If you are wondering what I am talking about, This is an example

Sorry if this seems stupid lol Just something that I really pay attention to since my participation in the Jack Sparrow community

Last edited by SweeneyTodd : 03-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
I agree with this, actually. Call me a jerkass, but if someone is severely overweight, they shouldn't be walking around in a bikini and minishorts. It's not that they have to have an absolutely perfect body, or that I think that anyone with a BMI over 19 shouldn't be allowed to show more than an ankle. If overweight people want to wear strips of fabric and call it a costume, that's their decision and I don't really care what they look like.

My reasoning: They invite ridicule. No matter how comfortable they are in their outfit, they're going to hear about it later. Their pictures will be posted to 4chan and they will be torn to shreds. No matter how strong someone is, the way they're treated can (and does all the time) dissuade overweight would-be cosplayers from becoming involved in the hobby at all.

My god, what is this? Me, caring about people? What kind of backwards world have I woken up in?

facebook // dA

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
Akahime
Red Princess

To add on more about the glasses and contact lenses subject:

Like what others had said, we forget to take off our glasses and people usually either donít wait for us to take them off or donít help remind us about them. I just recently had contact lenses fitted in and I still think I got glasses on and try to 'push' them back up into place because I think they're slipping down. As why some people can't get contact lenses or wear them could also be because they have a stigma. I have a minor stigma in my right eye and some contact lenses irritate the heck out of my right eye and/or won't settle/fit into my right eye because of that stigma. So thereís always a reason. (Plus also a lot of us canít afford laser eye surgery or prescription contact lenses)

Thereís always a reason behind everything so we shouldnít be judging others of what may irk us. Just do whatever rocks your world and they will do whatever is right for them. Canít we all just get along? (yeah yeah I know, big dreams but worth a shot, haha)

Next cons: Anime Detour, Fanime, Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Closed Thread