Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Diodone
Registered Puppy

A noob mistake and an unexpected change of heart.

Firstly i'd like to apologize if there could have been a better, more appropriate place to make this thread. although my join date may be semi old, i barely post as you can see from my post count.

Alright now that's out of the way, lets get to business. so i made a decision a while ago that i am now regretting severely and is the reason i am in my current predicament. lets start from the beginning (don't worry i'll try to keep this short). although a nerd all my life, I am very new to conventions in general and the cosplay scene. i was finally convinced to go to sakura con in 2011 by a coworker and good friend of mine. it was my first con ever. it was amazing and fun, now fast forward to 2013 and I've attended Sakura con twice and plan on making a third appearance this year (although its the only con i have ever attended....so far). now i've actually never cosplayed. despite having gone to a con as big as sakura con twice, i still have not really given cosplay a try. i am always on the sideline usually. Right after Sakura con of 2012 i decided i would finally cosplay if i went again for a 3rd time in 2013, but then sometime last year i decided i would not cosplay. i decided i was good with just continuing the no cosplay streak. I now see, however, that i made a big mistake. all of a sudden now that the con is less than a month away, i realize just how desparately i want to FINALLY try cosplaying. and that is the back story

Now here we are. the con is like 20 days away. I cant really buy a cosplay because there isnt enough time ( i understand the process takes quite a bit of time), and with just 20 days, i cant really commission something. i realize my situation so i am not really looking to be too picky, but i was wondering if some of you more experienced/creative users could help me come up with something that is quick and very last minute. also keep in mind a few things

1: I cant sow and have 0 experience with making things (as far as clothes go)
2: As much as i wish this could be true, i don't really have any friends that cosplay (i know, i am hanging with the wrong crowd ^_^) so i cant call in a favor and raid a friends closet for their old cosplays.
3 This is the big one. despite having the body to easily pull it off (see avatar, and i am trying my best not to come off as bragging haha), i would like to not be in one of those underwear/one little piece of clothing "cosplays". i know those are probably the easiest and best "last minute" cosplays as they require almost nothing. you are pretty much naked. there are of course exceptions like the old spice guy cosplay, and that is really something simply that can be made the day before a con even, and really its ideas like that that i'm looking for, easy last minute stuff, but also good .

I have 20 days and although i cant seem to think of something, i'm sure having more minds to help think of ideas can only improve the situation. thank you in advance. help me finally cosplay and have a nice first experience cosplay and i'll forever be in your debt

Unread 03-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Here's a few very simple cosplays that are still easy to recognize.

Android 17 from DBZ

Luffy from One Piece

L from Death Note

I hope this helps!

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Richard - Looking For Group
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Nui Harime - Kill La Kill
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Diodone
Registered Puppy

Oh man, just looking at android 17 made me realize just how much "hair" is a part of cosplay and the whole new problem that brings to the picture. oh well, worse comes to worse i guess i can rock a wigless/wrong hair cosplay...i guess. hopefully the cosplay i end up going with wont really even need that much attention to hair. cant wait to see all the other ideas/suggestions

Edit: oh yeah, and thanks for the suggestions, atticus

Last edited by Diodone : 03-06-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Diodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 01:36 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

If you think you like the idea of 17, You could still buy a wig and get it in time. I suggest epiccosplay. They have plenty of black wigs in plenty of lengths. And even though I pick the lowest possible shipping on-site, it only takes, at most, a week to get here (I also live in Washington, in fact not that far from where your profile says you are).

Even better, if you have the money, Arda would also be good. They have a great lacefront wig so you can have that hairline and part like he does:
http://arda-wigs.com/products/the-dude
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

If you are into homestuck you could try Equius

Like what Jason terror said I would recommend Epic Cosplay. Ive ordered from them before and it only took me two days to get. my wig. Also for the body paint I personally recommend Kryolan Aquacolor 89 grey (you can purchase it at ClownAntics) But other people also recommend BenNye grey , also make sure you buy makeup sealer)
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Diodone
Registered Puppy

oreobunbun, i do not own a boxing outfit or boxing gloves, but i've been wanting to pick up boxing for awhile now as a hobby. it has two of my favorite things, exercise and punching bags.

ah, balrog though, what a great suggestion for a last minute cosplay. why didnt i think of it. i have no experience making cosplay but all i would need to do is literally go buy a boxing outfit and gloves, and the best part is that its a cosplay that wont require a wig. i just need to get a slick haircut and i'm done, haha. Balrog is definitley going on the list, thanks!

also interesting that i was suggested a homestuck cosplay. i know little to nothing about homestuck, but i would have to be blind not to have noticed the homestuck movement when i was last at sakura con. homestuck was like everywhere kinda sorta. I think i'll pass on homestuck just for the pure fact that i, again, know nothing about it. i would rather cosplay something i am at least somewhat familiar with. After all, isnt a huge part of cosplaying dressing up as someone that you like and having the chance to be in the shoes of some of your favorite characters?

also on that note, despite my praise for balrog, I have never been a big fan of fighting games (outside of my 90s mortal kombat/killer instinct days when i was like 7 years old), so i'll hold out and wait to see if i get anymore suggestions, and out of those find something that tugs more at my heartstrings. i actually have never owned a street fighter game, and the very few times i've played demos of it, i didn't stay long.

Last edited by Diodone : 03-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Diodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

there are sites that are premade and great quality. if you order now, you'll be able to get it by two weeks at least. you can easily upgrade the shipping so it'll come within a week or less. i can pm you the site if you want. that way, you can choose whichever.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
mentokjebus

it honestly depends on your personal standards to accuracy of race, height, gender, and fitness levels. Anyone can cosplay as anyone, and there are tons of closet cosplays around like L if you don't mind not looking like the character

If you want to play to your strengths, Balrog, La Forge from Star Trek, Afro Samurai, or Dutch from Black Lagoon would work perfectly
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Diodone
Registered Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
>>I thought you weren't being picky
oh dont get me wrong, i am not being picky. Dont read too much into what you quoted. All i meant was that i'd rather go with something i'm more familiar with or i just plain like better. like balrog over any homestuck, or should something come along from a anime i like better, like Naruto, i'll choose it over balrog. and so on and so forth.

Just because i'm in a situation were i cannot be picky, it doesn't mean that i cannot choose and eliminate from the list of suggestions or ideas i get. all my situation does is this; if something came along that i liked much more than the previous, but i could not make it happen in time for the con, then i would obviously discard it and still stick with the previous despite liking it better. that's all "i am not being picky" really represents.

also
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagilbirds View Post
there are sites that are premade and great quality. if you order now, you'll be able to get it by two weeks at least. you can easily upgrade the shipping so it'll come within a week or less. i can pm you the site if you want. that way, you can choose whichever.
thats great, please do. I'm glad i decided to go ahead and create this thread as i am getting more and more ideas/options. thank you all
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

I like the Balrog idea, but I understand where you're coming from, in terms of wanting to do something that you can connect with.

There's a character who is pretty similar to this from Dragon Ball Z. I've actually wanted to see him done for a long time and I think you'd pull him off nicely. His outfit is actually not that intricate, so it might work. His name is "Killa".

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Killa

Here's the best vid I found for him. Classic dbz tournament stuff. I wish it was in english tho (watch just the first ten minutes, he's in it a lot).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7pkf7wcZR8

I'd totally be your fanboy if I saw you cosplaying this.

I had to put that out there.

King Chappa from Dragon Ball would work and be a really cool cosplay, too.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/King_Chappa

All you really need is a yellow toga (frat boys pull it off in white all the time - i'd just buy a good length of some cheap yellow fabric from Wal-Mart if I had to), matching pants (anything yellow, with a preference for something baggy) and a blue belt/sash (easily doable with any belt and some blue paint/blue fabric). The goatee and mini-fro look is very negotiable in my opinion. I think more people would recognize King Chappa, because he had more development and hype in the series. Yeah, I like the idea of King Chappa getting some love.

There are a few more videos on YT for him as well. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.sdjnOFQxstk

Hahaha You've totally got me excited. This is fun.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 03-07-2013 at 02:06 AM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Get yourself a suit, shades, and make yourself a Shinra badge and you'd make a very nice Rude from Final Fantasy 7

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Richard - Looking For Group
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Nui Harime - Kill La Kill
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #14
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Varanara

Dave Strider is a pretty easy cosplay you could do.
Varanara is offline   Reply With Quote