Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Pastaloving Me~
PASTA rules the World!!

What not to/to do at Cons

Hey, Im new to cosplaying and I was wondering what to NOT DO and what I should MAKE SURE to do at my first convention. Just so that I wont cause any trouble or annoy anyone!
Pastaloving Me~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Lucky for you, there's all sorts of tips and tricks for cons out there, but I'd be happy to give you a quick down of How Not to Cause Any Trouble or Annoy Anyone.

BATHE - No joke. The fastest way to annoy people is to stink up the place with BO. Shower once a day, apply deodorant multiple times per day. BODY SPRAY DOES NOT COUNT AS BATHING.

Keep an eye out - Nothing is worse then bumping into someone and breaking your prop or a piece of your cosplay or theirs. Months of work gone. So, try to pay attention to your surroundings to prevent cosplay disasters.

EAT AND DRINK - Seriously. If you pass out from dehydration or fatigue from too little food and too much activity you might bring half of the convention to a screaming halt depending on the size of the con and if they have to to call an ambulance for you.

DO. NOT. GLOMP. - There are so many reasons why you shouldn't. You could hurt someone or yourself, violating their personal space, and just overall making a nuisance of yourself. It's also a good way to get kicked out of a con.

So that's pretty much it. Eat, bathe, and don't be a dick.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Never Ever Glomp!

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Don't stand in the middle of hallways to take pictures, talk, etc. Especially really tight or crowded areas. I usually try to treat them like high school hallways in between classes. Just keep moving or hug the walls if you need to stop! XD

Keep all your important belongings close to yourself at all times! I know this sounds self explanatory, but it's so easy to lose things at a con. I usually suggest a small purse or bag so it's not too cumbersome! And always try to keep some money, cell phone, room key (if it applies) and your ID on you!

Print out a copy of the con schedule. A lot of cons will have them available, but I noticed within the past year more cons are becoming more smart-phone oriented (which may be something you like, for me not so much) and/or they didn't have the paper versions completed when I wanted them. It never hurts to have your own copy on hand at all times!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to promote my friends' blogs: Tip and Tricks for Cosplay and Convention Etiquette.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Poody
All Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysphinx07 View Post
Don't stand in the middle of hallways to take pictures, talk, etc.
I think I need stress... don't ASK someone for a photo in those areas as well.... -___-

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
katacus
Two?!

Be familiar with the con's dress code and don't assume they're all the same. I made this mistake in September after five years of cosplaying. All of the cons I'd been to pretty much made you cover up your privates, so I didn't look at NDK's rules which state no chest exposed at all, even for males. Luckily, we had back ups but if we didn't, that would have been a sad day.

That brings me to another suggestion! Bring a back up cosplay (when you have one) you know will be fun and comfortable in case your new cosplay is unfun or unbearable to wear.
katacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 12:40 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Make sure if you're wearing a skirt that is long enough to hide shorts, wear shorts or spandex under the skirt!
There are definitely creepers at cons would like to get the skirt-wearers in crowded places and snap pics. I've experienced this at my first con.

Pretty much what everyone else said, but also,
You won't have fun unless you're meeting new people/being active in the community. Trust me, I thought I would have fun by just walking around and buying things, but it did get lonely after awhile. Go to meetups of a series you like where you can meet people with a common interest (: .
Please just respect other people's privacy and needs, but don't be too shy to ask for pictures! If someone is posing and looks intimidating, that may be just their character's personality. Avoid bothering them if they are eating/talking on the phone, also. If they decline your picture request, say thanks anyway and compliment their costume, no harm done (:
I hope this helped!

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysphinx07 View Post
Don't stand in the middle of hallways to take pictures, talk, etc. Especially really tight or crowded areas. I usually try to treat them like high school hallways in between classes. Just keep moving or hug the walls if you need to stop! XD
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Not to deny that it slows traffic, but simply in the spirit that conventions would be a little more boring if EVERYONE followed this religiously. Convention hallways become playgrounds. Even if it means I don't get to a panel exactly when I mean to, I still celebrate it. If I can't get by someone, I just ask them politely to move a bit. It's just the nature of the beast; part of his/her charm. If someone feels the need to yell at those people, they can go ahead. I'll 66% watch that drama, 33% gingerly navigate around it, 100% feel happy to do it.

DO: AMV contest. Never disappoints. I always find a new song to Youtube.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 03-07-2013 at 12:12 AM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
DO: AMV contest. Never disappoints. I always find a new song to Youtube.
Very true! If it's the larger conventions you'll usually find my videos there! Be sure to vote for them XD!

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

http://www.nerdistnews.com/region/to...ing-con-season
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
sillymyway

Make sure to remember the 5-2-1 rule! 5 hours of sleep, 2 meals, and 1 shower a day! This rule is super important, especially for multiple day conventions.

Also, this how to survive a con thread will be of major help. ^^
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames
New York Comic Convention

.:2014 Cosplays:.
Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gijinka! Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nagisa Hazuki (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Ravio ( LOZ: A Link Between Worlds)
Charlie Vergier (Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure)

sillymyway cosplay
sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Always ask before you physically touch a cosplayer...or anyone for that matter. Yes, cosplayers may look so alluring, especially if they're cosplaying a character that you absolutely adore, but ask before you try to hug/glomp/whatever.

If they're cool with it, then proceed, but if they say no then respect that.
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastaloving Me~ View Post
Just so that I wont cause any trouble or annoy anyone!
Do not force your company on others;
If you have a hard time reading verbal or physical cues it is best to assume that your contact with these individuals is polite, pleasant, but brief. Some people seem to believe that by being cosplayers alike everyone is an unspoken best friend, this is not so. Some people really want to be left alone to do as they like and aren't going to be interested in becoming your new BFF.

Touching other people without invitation is bad;
If someone invites you to touch a part of their costume,prop,or body this is acceptable. If you touch someone's costume,prop, or body without them expressly allowing it this is unacceptable. Hands to yourself kiddies.

The convention is not about you and your friends;
Other people are here to. It's exciting and dazzling and you might get caught up in a whirlwind of bubbly good feelings and suddenly OOPS you cut in line because you where too absorbed in the fun you where having to notice other people. Or you bump into someone and snap their prop. Or step on someones costume. Or knock something off a table. Having a good time does not mean you drop all sense of courtesy to others and become self absorbed.

Be a good person;
That's it. Don't be mean. Don't say unkind things. Be polite and courteous. Treat people respectfully. The end.

Have fun bro.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote