Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Varanara

Accuracy VS Creativity?

Some people will argue that when doing a cosplay, accuracy and detail are the most important things to follow. And I do agree to this to an extent. However, isnt creativity important to a cosplay as well? Ill use an actual example that applies to me (I also want opinions on it!)

I am doing a Link cosplay, specifically the Link from Twilight Princess. However, the tunic I am using is not actually in the game. I am replacing the green tunic with a red tunic. (There was no red tunic in the game, the "red tunic" was magic armor and well, yeah armor, not a tunic...)

Its the same design and everything as the green tunic, only red. So technically its not "accurate" as there is no red tunic in the game, but I think it adds some interesting creativity to the overall cosplay, while still maining a high-level of accuracy )tunic detail is perfect to the green, wearing TP sword, boots, shield, etc and all equips from in-game only).

What do you all think of the matter?
Varanara is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
ghosgreen

I've run into this situation a lot of times actually. Sometimes it's to make a it look better other times it's to make the costume practical. So with that said yeah creativity is indeed important, just as much as accuracy. If done right the costume and costumer will still look amazing. It's kinda like the Red X I've been working on. Technically it's just a mask he's wearing but I'm making it into a full helmet instead and damn is it looking really good. Sorry can't post pictures yet. Gotta keep it a secret until next weekend.

Varanara your idea for Link sounds great. Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the legend of zelda series *puts on helmet and takes cover* but it sounds really cool. I like it.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
AnimeAndMusical

I think that both accuracy and creativity work well in many costumes, to each his own. Some people prefer to have costumes as accurate as possible, while others like to make changes for comfort, appearance, to stand out a little, etc. I think that it would look cool.

The only thing to be aware of is that not everyone will recognise you (that being said I'm sure many people will get at least the general idea) so if that doesn't bother you go ahead
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I'm generally all for accuracy but I've become more open to creativity in cosplay lately as long as it's done well. This year, 2 out of the 5 costumes I've so far finished, I've allowed myself to have a bit of creative freedom. . Colour changes are cool as long as you're sticking with the design in some way, seeing a very commonly cosplayed character with a new spin on them that doesn't completely change the costume is always cool.

Last edited by My_Insanity : 03-08-2013 at 03:19 AM.
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanara View Post
Some people will argue that when doing a cosplay, accuracy and detail are the most important things to follow. And I do agree to this to an extent. However, isnt creativity important to a cosplay as well? Ill use an actual example that applies to me (I also want opinions on it!)

I am doing a Link cosplay, specifically the Link from Twilight Princess. However, the tunic I am using is not actually in the game. I am replacing the green tunic with a red tunic. (There was no red tunic in the game, the "red tunic" was magic armor and well, yeah armor, not a tunic...)

Its the same design and everything as the green tunic, only red. So technically its not "accurate" as there is no red tunic in the game, but I think it adds some interesting creativity to the overall cosplay, while still maining a high-level of accuracy )tunic detail is perfect to the green, wearing TP sword, boots, shield, etc and all equips from in-game only).

What do you all think of the matter?
"Creativity", in craftmanship works and art in general, is the easy way. You can do whatever you want to withouth adjusting to any reference. So, you end up working less, do simpler things and modify everything you have any difficulty with along the process. Creativity only requires minimum skills. While reproducing something faithful to the original reference requires high skill levels, patience, hours, months and years of hard work and attention to details. Great painters do have reference and models to make master pieces of art, like Rembrandt's canvases. Creativity is splotching some paint on a canvas and sell it for millions as an "abstract piece of art".

Last edited by RydiaValentine : 03-08-2013 at 06:36 AM.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
CautiousAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydiaValentine View Post
"Creativity", in craftmanship works and art in general, is the easy way. You can do whatever you want to withouth adjusting to any reference. So, you end up working less, do simpler things and modify everything you have any difficulty with along the process. Creativity only requires minimum skills. While reproducing something faithful to the original reference requires high skill levels, patience, hours, months and years of hard work and attention to details. Great painters do have reference and models to make master pieces of art, like Rembrandt's canvases. Creativity is splotching some paint on a canvas and sell it for millions as an "abstract piece of art".
I disagree with this a bit. When you're talking about 'creativity' in cosplay over authenticity, there are several different ways to take it. For instance, I have seen DOZENS of original, complicated, mind blowing redesigns of characters. From Steam Punk Adventure Time --

-- to the Fancy Dreamers of Homestuck --

To say that only the 'accurate' cosplays of a character require high levels of time and skill is a bit unfair.

I think what it comes down to is just how intentional the 'creativity' aspect of it is. My art professors constantly tell me that it's fine to try something different and outside of the box, as long as it's clearly MEANT TO BE THAT and has a clear PURPOSE. Creativity in cosplay should never be mistaken as an 'accident'.
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
I retyped this, like, four times to try to reduce the TL;DR effect and trying not to sound super mean or something. Bah!

Generally, while I'd agree that the accurate route is a butt-ton of work, I can see that only applying for certain things like incredibly intricate costumes (where you'll need multiple references to get a full view of the outfit and you're getting lots of techniques like embroidery and beading, or costumes that are period-specific so you need to be careful about using appropriate patterns and fabrics to be accurate), there are just some cosplays that if done "accurately" would be a bit boring.

In the case of the steampunk Adventure Time group, their base costumes would have been something you see a ton of, because they're simple, and easy to make accurately. They applied creativity to the costumes to keep the characters recognizable AND more technically difficult.

A creative design needn't be the easy way out of doing something hard. More often than not, I see people making things *much* harder to execute by making a creative design.

For the OP, I love the idea of a red tunic for the TP design. The colors were all particularly dark and muddy in that game, IMO, so that pop of red will really stand out. Plus, since Link's worn a red tunic in canon before, it's not going to be hard to recognize if the other accessories/details are in place. Plus, once you have all of those accessories, it wouldn't be much extra work to make a new tunic every now and then to go with it!

::WV Pop Culture Con::
-Poison Ivy (Saturday)-
-Lady!Joker (Sunday)-

Read my nerdy rambles!
shaylatheroo.com
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Creativity is good for cosplaying too, specially if you're putting your own touches to the cosplay, for instance when you're making a non-existant gender swap or when cosplaying an original character or an existing character with clothes you designed.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
improvised

Modesty is a concern for me, so there are times when I'll alter the costume so it's something I'm comfortable with wearing.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I don't think it matters. At all.
On the list of things that I could not possibly care less about 'accuracy' versus 'creativity' in someones costume has got be in the top 5 'Nope. I really don't care at all'.

Once you start taking other people's opinions into things that don't involve them in the least you take what was something you enjoy and make it something that fills you with anxiety and self doubt. All because you're afraid of what people will think of a red tunic versus a green one.

What matters is what you think is important to you and giving yourself enough credit to not need the voices of strangers to reaffirm your choices.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Creativity only requires minimum skills. While reproducing something faithful to the original reference requires high skill levels, patience, hours, months and years of hard work and attention to details...Great painters do have reference and models to make master pieces of art, like Rembrandt's canvases. Creativity is splotching some paint on a canvas and sell it for millions...
I'm not sure that I would put down "creative" as a synonym for "lazy".

Cosplay; LARP; costumery; whatever you want to call it, is an art form. Art needs to be allowed a life of its own, and for that reason it requires room to evolve. The only way that can happen is if people approach and execute cosplay differently, with their own ideas.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 03-08-2013 at 12:08 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

I tend to try to find a middle ground between the two. Because dammit, I'm putting money and time into it, so I'm going to do whatever the hell I want! It's for me, not for other people!

Go ahead and call me lazy, say I'm taking the "easy way out", but I'm at least having fun and not stressing over some invisible competition. Besides, I put a LOT of work into my artistic liberties.

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
Adventure Time: Princess Bubblegum
FFVII: JENOVA
Zelda; OoT: Skull Kid

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
Pokemon: Sabrina
DragonBall: Launch

Last edited by PsychoLove : 03-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
improvised

Quote:
He's switching the color of his tunic. That's not going to change the skill set level he needs to create his cosplay. And It *can* take a LOT more work to be creative than to copy. Just my two cents.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

Quote:
Creativity is splotching some paint on a canvas and sell it for millions as an "abstract piece of art".
You appear to have a massively misconstrued definition of the word "creativity".

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
Adventure Time: Princess Bubblegum
FFVII: JENOVA
Zelda; OoT: Skull Kid

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
Pokemon: Sabrina
DragonBall: Launch
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
improvised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
You appear to have a massively misconstrued definition of the word "creativity".
Agreed. Not to mention, where do people think all these cosplay designs came from in the first place? Creativity is HUGE.