Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
nikkiolie

Want a toned body? This is how you do it

First off I want to say that I am not an expert. I am just passing on the information I have learned throughout my years and what has worked for me.

Most women want to get that “toned” look. You know the line down the middle of your stomach, possibly abs, slim legs, nice butt, want arms like Korra? Want a body like Jessica Nigir’s? How do you go about doing that? The answer is pretty simple, you need to lift heavy weights.

Let me make this very very clear. As a woman, you will not get big and bulky from lifting heavy weights. Body builders train for YEARS to get a body like that, they dedicate their whole life to it. They eat healthy, take the proper supplements and so on to get there. On top of that, as a woman you don’t even produce enough testosterone to get that big. So lifting heavy weights will not make you big at all. It will, however, give you a body like this http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...aBVjWVxNLfeOZG

So now you know what you need to do, what exercises do you do to reach your goal? As a beginner it’s good to start out with a program called Starting Strength or other beginner programs. Basically its squats, bench press, and pull ups 3 times a week. When lifting you want to do 3 sets of 8 reps. When doing your 8 reps you want to be able to barely finish the 8th one. This will ensure that you will get the best results. I personally add more exercises to my routine. It looks something like this:
Squats 3x8
Bench 3x8
Pull ups 3x8
Dips 3x8
Push ups 3x10
Leg press 3x8
Single legged leg press 3x8
Bicep curls 3x8
Vertical raises 3x8
Lateral raises 3x8

When you are just starting out it is alright to combine all the muscle groups like that. Your body will recover quickly. However, after a few months you will want to split your exercises up to have a chest and back day, legs and back day, and arms and shoulders day. This is my preference but you don’t have to do it that way. As you progress though your body will need more of a rest between workouts.

You may have noticed that I haven’t included any ab exercises in there. Don’t worry I will get there. Before I do I need to explain how lifting weights helps you burn more fat and calories than cardio alone. That being said cardio is also good to do. I do cardio three days a week in between my weight lifting days.

When you lift weights your muscles tear. This is a good thing and you shouldn’t feel any pain WHEN lifting. Now the first few times the day after lifting you may be sore and that is alright. If the soreness doesn’t go away after a day or two you will want to give your body a longer break. If you are still hurting go see a doctor. Back to these tears, they are little and a good thing. You are burning calories when lifting and in order to repair the tears your body needs to burn more calories. It can take 24 or more hours to repair these tears, meaning that your body will be burning calories that whole time. The heavier weights you lift the more tears you get. The larger muscle groups you work the more tears you get. This is where it can get a little weird, working your leg muscle and back can help you burn fat off your stomach.

Let me put it this way, say you do 10 crunches and you maybe get 10 tears on your abs and burn around 20 calories repairing them (not real numbers just making a point) but you do 10 squats and get 100 tears and your body burns 200 calories repairing them. See how you will burn more fat when working heavier muscle groups?

Now to explain more on the abs stuff, doing a bunch of crunches will not give you a six pack. Most of the time it just builds muscle UNDER the fat and actually can make you look bigger than you are. The best way to get a six pack is to lift like I have explained AND to focus on your diet. Diet is just as important on getting the toned look if not more than lifting itself.

Diet is pretty simple, if it comes in a box, you probably shouldn’t eat it. When in the grocery store stick to the outside of the store, you will typically find the milk, eggs, fresh meat, fruit, and veggies. Avoid processed foods, and added sugar. The sugar in fruit is fine. Eat at least 1200 calories a day, it don’t really matter how often you eat. Some studies show three meals a day is best where others show the 5-6 is best. Do what works for you.

That’s about all I have. If you are just starting out I would suggest starting out with very light weights and working your way up from there. One thing I really want to stress is to look up proper form for lifts like squats and bench press. Lift lighter weights to get the form down then more on to heavier ones. If you do not lift properly you can hurt yourself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will do my best to answer. Doing this program I have gone down from a size 6 to a size 4 in one month. I have noticed that my butt is bigger and looks better. I have seen reduction of celulite in my thighs and I have lost over an inch off my stomach. This is my progress picture from January 20th to April 23rd

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14

Last edited by nikkiolie : 05-01-2013 at 11:06 AM.
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
pokoppoki
Puffbag Wellington

This is great!
pokoppoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
nikkiolie

I am sure I forgot stuff to and I don't know everything so please feel to add to this.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Arbite
Shut up and move!

No deadlifts?
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Ilafatyu
That guy

Do you have any suggestions for online resources for lifting techniques? I wouldn't know good from bad, and I'm sure a lot of others are the same.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
nikkiolie

I personally don't do deadlifts but they are another great one to include that works your whole body. I really need to start including them =/ I have been doing squats for a long time so I have the form down. I haven't done deadlifts a lot and I am nervous to start just yet because I have a con in three weeks and I don't want to risk the injury. After Sak though I will start doing them.

This is a good website that shows proper form, just choose the muscle you want to work and there is a whole list of things. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Also for those with smart phones there is an app call jefit which also shows you proper technique and will let you store the weight and reps on your phone for later use. Its great to keep track of everything while you are at the gym.

Also if you don't have a gym membership you can also do most of them at home. A pull up bar is about $20. Squats you can do your own body weight, dips you can do on a ledge, and so on.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Arbite
Shut up and move!

The odds of injuring yourself on dead's is pretty slim unless your acting like an idiot. Takes about 10 minutes to learn the proper form.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
nikkiolie

I did some yesterday for the first time in 8 years. I could only lift about 115 (5 times) and I am hella sore today. My lower back got hit the worst. I'm glad that I did them though and I will start doing them once a week like SS suggests.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Disasterbate
Shubadawoo!

Very nice set! Thanks for posting!
I just began Testosterone last month so I need to start working out. Right now I am just walking bones basically. Super thin.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
sleepygeek
Person, Place, and Thing

Okay, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just want to make a few comments from my own knowledge to maybe add to/amend yours and improve the information overall.

First off, yes, women don't gain muscle like men do. Women get more 'toned' and men get more of what we think of as 'muscle-y'. It doesn't show as much and doesn't always come as quick. HOWEVER lifting weights will not, necessarily, give you the body of the girl in the picture. She has a very, very slim figure, and looks like she also diets. Neither of these things are bad, but most people can't look like that. I, for instance, have a very rectangular figure, and therefore have wide-ish hips and shoulders, and my waist doesn't get too much smaller. It's all in proportion, but it will never be that skinny.

Secondly, about calories, you NEED NEED NEED more than 1200 if you're working out. between 19 and 30, Canada's Food Guide recommends 1900 for women with a sedentary life style (ie, no exercise) and 2500 for men. Exercise routines vary, but a woman of that age should probably be eating between 2000 and 2300 calories a day, when working out regularly. Definitely make sure they are 'good' calories, but you need way more than 1200.
(And if you aren't a woman between 19 and 30, check http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-gu.../1_1_1-eng.php )

Finally, about the variety of exercises - you will improve on what you work on. For example, working with your arms alone won't take much fat off your belly or legs. All of it needs to be put together. Legs, arms, core, etc. For burning fat, actually, cardio is your best option, and it doesn't even have to be running - dancing, sports, whatever.
sleepygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Konflikt

Diet's very key. If you're looking for big changes, look into a ketogenic diet. You could even see changes within a week if you're following the diet strictly. Also, deadlifts = key to life :P
Konflikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disasterbate View Post
Very nice set! Thanks for posting!
I just began Testosterone last month so I need to start working out. Right now I am just walking bones basically. Super thin.
Eat. Lots. Seriously. Also drink milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
I did some yesterday for the first time in 8 years. I could only lift about 115 (5 times) and I am hella sore today. My lower back got hit the worst. I'm glad that I did them though and I will start doing them once a week like SS suggests.
You can pull up to three times a week for the first few weeks or so. Once you start pulling 250+ then you'll want to move to less times per week.

I love deadlifts though, so I'm pulling whenever I feel like I'm recovered from the last workout.

Last edited by Arbite : 03-12-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflikt View Post
Diet's very key. If you're looking for big changes, look into a ketogenic diet. You could even see changes within a week if you're following the diet strictly. Also, deadlifts = key to life :P
I tried it and it isn't for me. A friend is on it and it has worked wonders for him but it made me very tired and very very cranky. I had terrible mood swings. I'm just going to stick with my eating habits I have now. They aren't great but not bad. My goal is to get 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
You can pull up to three times a week for the first few weeks or so. Once you start pulling 250+ then you'll want to move to less times per week.

I love deadlifts though, so I'm pulling whenever I feel like I'm recovered from the last workout.
I'm doing weights again today. I may try to do deadlifts again. My back was so sore yesterday so we'll see what happens when I get to the gym today.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Konflikt

Yeah my friend got pretty cranky in the beginning couple of days, it went away after like two weeks for him. :P
Konflikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #15
sexytime10
See you next week

nikkiolie I just want to say that you are fucking wife material (n-no homo) that honestly gets how fitness and cutitng is done.

I'm no expert either but I've been doing countless amounts of research for the past while (mostly on 4chan's /fit/ and the sources they lead me to) and it has totally been working for me. In the middle of a lean bulk right now but I basically started out how you did.

10/10 post everyone who wants to burn fat and gain muscle should read this.

One last thing I'd like to add, find your TDEE and properly count your calories and make sure you are hitting your macro-nutrients each day. http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html is a great guide too.

(Deadlifts have been hurting my back lately, if you don't like them, try another lower back exercise alternative, such as http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...ack-extensions )

Last edited by sexytime10 : 03-13-2013 at 05:47 AM.
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote