Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Kotarou
The Shy Cosplayer

Best way to search for a cosplay partner

I don't really want to ask this because I don't like posting my problems here, but I might as well just ask:
What is the best way to find a cosplay partner? I've probably been searching for more than a year already and I've been posting on the "Seeking Cosplayers" forums, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc., but I've had few success and of those successes, things end up not working out. Let's just say I've been very discouraged with the progress of my search and I'm not sure exactly what to do right now, which is why I'm asking this. How does a shy and timid person like myself successfully find a cosplay partner?

Current Cosplays
Current Crossplays
Future Cosplays
Future Crossplays

Next Cons:
Castle Point Anime Convention
AnimeNEXT
Anime Expo
Otakon
Kotarou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Maybe specifying your cosplay interests and your area would help you find them better.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

Find local groups and converse from there.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotarou View Post
I don't really want to ask this because I don't like posting my problems here, but I might as well just ask:
What is the best way to find a cosplay partner? I've probably been searching for more than a year already and I've been posting on the "Seeking Cosplayers" forums, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc., but I've had few success and of those successes, things end up not working out. Let's just say I've been very discouraged with the progress of my search and I'm not sure exactly what to do right now, which is why I'm asking this. How does a shy and timid person like myself successfully find a cosplay partner?
Looks likt you just kinda joined, and that you've been looking in the BIGGEST pools for the solution.
Solution is to just be you. I don't know the partner type you mean, but in time (ie more than 1 yr and a few months) you will find good peeps to venture with. Go to cons, don't be weird(I know that can be tough) and just roll with the flow, small chat leads to big chat depending on who you find thats interested in where you tend to hang out.
I end up knowing way too many people, that can be a backfire, so be picky with people up to a point, and at the same time don't go chatting with just anyone forever.
Humility in your search too, remember that
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Shirayuki~Chan

I've never really had a problem with this, as my best friends and I started cosplaying together, but maybe instead of posting in forums that you're looking for a cosplay partner, you can go to whatever convention your going to forums and start talking to people on there. Build a relationship with them first, find people who like similar things, and then suggest something like "oh, you like ___ series? Me too! We should totally cosplay from it! My favorites ___, who's yours?" something simple like that.

Cosplays:
Tycho Science- Diebuster
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
I've never really had a problem with this, as my best friends and I started cosplaying together, but maybe instead of posting in forums that you're looking for a cosplay partner, you can go to whatever convention your going to forums and start talking to people on there. Build a relationship with them first, find people who like similar things, and then suggest something like "oh, you like ___ series? Me too! We should totally cosplay from it! My favorites ___, who's yours?" something simple like that.
lol This is similar to advice I've given friends who've gotten frustrated with not being able to find dates who are a good, long-lasting match. :P Try to focus less on finding a "cosplay partner" and more on just making cosplaying friends in general. If you only focus on trying to find someone to fill that role, you're going to get frustrated. Find a good group of people that have similar interests and personalities to yours. Become friends with them. Make efforts to be a good friend and spend time with them. If you only look for someone who you can do cosplay sets with as a duo, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who isn't already friends with you who will jump on that and agree to all of your cosplay interests. You're better off just becoming close friends with cosplayers, finding those who have interests in common with you, and agreeing to coordinate pairs/groups with you from there. Cosplay partners are basically just BFFs who have gotten into the same series together and liked the same things. They dedicate their plans to each other because they're, again, such good friends, and they can agree on everything together.

tl;dr just find cosplayers in your area who have interests in common and become good friends with them. I've done this over forums myself. What's worked for me was posting on the forums for specific conventions in threads for the cosplays I was planning to bring. For example, I posted in the J-rock cosplay thread and others responded saying they were going to cosplay from the same group and we chatted from there. Met them in person, spent a lot of time hanging out with them at the convention, and whoop, years later we're still friends! We're not dedicated cosplay partners, but they became part of my main group of friends I traveled to conventions with, and we often put together cosplay groups. Just be patient! It's a gradual process. Don't force it.
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
PK.love

I think a great way is forums! I have met some amazing people who I go groups with all the time that way. If you already have plans to cosplay a character from a series, look around on the forum for a topic or make your own to discuss a gathering. Even if you are only thinking of a character, sometimes if you go on a forum topic for a series and go "Hey I was thinking of cosplaying ____" you will get support and sometimes group offers which is fun!

Gathering at cons is a great way to make friends and odds are you will have people there who like other series you like. Sometimes that leads to more groups at future cons!
PK.love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
LawlietCookies
Don't save anymore.

I feel the same way actually, I have been asking around on forums and tumblr, even DA at times... and although I have met people that live around me it doesn't seem that anyone has really been interested in really cosplaying as a group T_T I've always wondered how other people have been able to make cosplay friends because I don't seem to be able to make any either! lol. I guess your best bet would try making friends at a con?
LawlietCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

What I learned is if you are seeking a partner for a convention it is best to let them come to you and not seek after them. It also works best if you do it with causal chit-chat. The partner will likely be more solid as a result.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

At a con. I've noticed that people are usually more willing to be in group cosplays, especially if you become good friends over the years while simultaneously meeting with people at different conventions in your local area.

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote